NEWBIE! Most important items to carry with you

yellajeep

I just ordered my first gps it is the Oregon 450. The anticipation is about to kill me I can't wait for my new toy to get here.

I want to know when you go out geocaching other than the usuals like the gps, water, pens, paper what is the most important items you carry with you the ones you would never leave home without? The unusual items you have that come in very handy and helpful. Like some one told me to carry a long pair of tweezers ( we stopped for a cache in Texas it was a micro and had to be pulled out of hiding spot with tweezers). Also a extendable mirror like the type mechanics use for looking at hard to see areas of a motor that it helps you look for caches in hard to reach areas.

Please tell me your deep dark secrets and helpful items.

A few pens - not just one as they always get lost or run out of ink at the worst moment.

Not an item but good advice -> if you do any caches where you hike away from your car, mark a waypoint so you can find it again (learned the hard way)

EDIT: Ok, I'll give you one secret item. A hand held metal detector 'wand' to find bison tubes in those D%$m evergreen hedges.

Edited by WatchDog2020

Besides a couple of pens. having a sheet or two of paper is very handy too, not only for taking a few field notes for logging later on if you're into that but on more than one occasion, we've replaced a water logged or ruined log in the cache. And always, always always carry a couple of extra batteries. You'll be glad you did.

thanks! what is the most unusual item you have found to be helpful something you would not normally think of

Not really an unusual item but recently I started carrying a walking stick (actually one of those collapsable treking poles). I have found it very useful for knocking the spider webs out of the way, pushing the thorny vines back and looking for the caches in the leaves etc. I have been surprised how helpful it has been.

Other than the obvious (extra pens, paper, batteries, cell phone, etc.) our "must haves" are:

small first aid kit

small manicure set (we've used the tweezers and other tools countless times, and they all fit in a nice zipper case)

walking/hiking pole

thanks

In addition to many of the other items mentioned above, we always carry a compass. We have found it very handy when neither the GPSr nor we know which direction we've turned. Also, it's good back-up if our GPSrs both fail for some reason and we are out in the middle of the woods.

Edited by Printess Caroline

Bug repellent. An absolute must around here from April to October.

Gloves. They keep your hands clean and protect against critters that bite and sting.

Notebook. Helps you keep track of what you left and took at the caches.

Camera. Geocaching is so much more fun with a camera.

Flashlight. Illuminates dark crevices, hollow trees and logs, etc.

Things that others mentioned but that I never carry:

Compass. Have one, never needed it.

Space blanket. Have a few of those, too. They stay in the car.

Glow sticks. I have a flashlight.

Walking stick. If the spider webs are bad (and they often are) I just wave a long twig in front of me.

Tweezers. I thought I'd need these, but never have.

In addition to many of the other items mentioned above, we always carry a compass. We have found it very handy when neither the GPSr nor we know which direction we've turned. Also, it's good back-up if our GPSrs both fail for some reason and we are out in the middle of the woods.

Yes, a compass is important, but also as important is a map of the area you are in, and the knowledge of how to use both.

What good is a compass if you don't have a map or know how to use it?

I have also used a compass to help triangulate where the cache location may be.

AS a newbie myself what came in handy for me essential.

- a powerful flashlight. I like the Surefire

- Some cord or line

- writing utensils ofcourse

- always something to trade in case you come across something really neat.

- Compass

- Another flashlight at least one per person

- matches

- NOTES on the cache!

Newbie here too. These are great suggestions. I'm ashamed that we just walk with our GPSr, a pen, and a small pad. Guess I need to get a super-hero-like utility belt for all the stuff I need to carry. No way my 15 year old will go with us now. She's already too embarrased by mom and dad digging around in bushes and trees to find these things.

Newbie here too. These are great suggestions. I'm ashamed that we just walk with our GPSr, a pen, and a small pad. Guess I need to get a super-hero-like utility belt for all the stuff I need to carry.

We have a backpack, we just leave it in the car. You know, just in case.

On a side note, I've used things out of that bag (especially the first aid kit) for things other than caching, too.

And I just realized one of the most important things to have with you: A TOWEL. Soooo many uses, it's not even funny. Doesn't even have to be a big one.

Definitely hand wipes or sanitiser of some kind - even though they aren't "buried" you might still need to scrabble in some leaves etc, and my parents once had to wait for a rat to vacate the spot where one was hidden... it was probably covered in rat pee. (Maybe disposable gloves for really urban ones?)

Newbie here too. These are great suggestions. I'm ashamed that we just walk with our GPSr, a pen, and a small pad. Guess I need to get a super-hero-like utility belt for all the stuff I need to carry. No way my 15 year old will go with us now. She's already too embarrased by mom and dad digging around in bushes and trees to find these things.

Check out your local army surplus store, I found an ammo bag with a nice long shoulder strap for less then nine dollars. After yesterday I'm also going to add a thin pair of leather gloves. There was a bison tube in this little pine tree that was really dense and had stiff needle sharp needles, it was like reaching into a cactus.

Well, only 27 finds so far but in that time I have used the experience, but mostly the experience gained from the forums, to have the following on me packed into a small backpack:

Pens

Pencils (the little ones like you get when golfing)

Pencil Sharpeners

Baggies of various sizes

Small towel. THHGTTG is right. A towel is the most important thing to have with you at all times! :D

Extra log books (All sorts of these can be found at a dollar store)

Personal log book to keep track of trades, cache condition, notes, etc.

Leatherman Multi-tool

Small LED flashlight

Bug Spray

Magnetic compass

Small first aid kit

Extra batteries

Matches/Lighter

Always have a bit of cash on you, not just debit/charge cards.

Camera - Took this on our last day spent caching. I will always carry it from now on.

Gloves - Even a pair of latex gloves can come in handy

Bottled water and compact snacks like granola bars

Swag - A few pins, matchbox cars, coffee certificates, unique stones, etc. Variety of swag really helps when dealing with caches of varied sizes. I always pack a keychain of some sort, and something dog/cat/animal related. I wouldn't recommend anything electronic, or anything that would act as a sponge such as a stuffed animal. In the few amount of caches completed, I have come across a couple of soaking wet teddy bears in an otherwise fairly dry cache. And remember that it's not only kids that enjoy swag!

Don't pack swag that you would otherwise throw in the garbage! If you think it's worthless, so will others. Do not take a quality swag item and leave your signature penny, button, etc.! Trade equally or up.

This seems like so much stuff when listed, but it all fits into a small pack with much room to spare.

Happy caching!!

Not necessarily on me, but in my truck I keep:

Toilet paper.

Grocery sack for picking up trash you find (or in case of needing to use that TP...)

A gallon of water.

Snacks.

A roll of TP.

Latex gloves.

Large first aid kit.

Everything else mentioned.

Also a list of medications you or your kids take. Keep that on you.

Edited by coffee/wired

Not necessarily on me, but in my truck I keep:

Toilet paper.

Grocery sack for picking up trash you find (or in case of needing to use that TP...)

A gallon of water.

Snacks.

A roll of TP.

Latex gloves.

Large first aid kit.

Everything else mentioned.

Also a list of medications you or your kids take. Keep that on you.

TP will be added to the pack! I'm surprised we haven't run into the need for it yet!

Thanks Coffee/wired!

For my style of geocaching, I go to the nearest caches to my house(8km away ATM), and here is what I need:

GPS

Either paperless GPS or cache info

Pen

Geocoin (they're attracted to me, so I never need other SWAG)

Dog poo bag dispenser (good for CITO)

Big carabiner clip to hold everything

Maps, a knowledge of the local roads, or (for me this works) absolute faith that your GPS is guiding you the right way

One thing I started carrying with me was a small bottle of Gorilla Glue. I went to a Cache that was hidden in a tree and when I went to open it, the bark that concealed the lid ripped off. I had to go to the local Walmart, get the glue, then go back to the Cache to put it back together again. I also Took a roll of Camo Duct tape and used a razor knife to cut it in half, so now I have two pieces only about 6 inches long that lay flat and take up less room.