Too close together in AZ

uberrhund

Hello all, I am from Inland Southern California and just returned from Arizona where I was visiting family.

Last time I was there in the Hwy 69/169 /I-17 Dewey/ Prescott /Cordes Junction area I had a great time caching. There were thoughtful caches decently far apart to hunt.

Last week I pulled up the maps and the area is actually covered with caches! Some are barely the approx. 600 feet apart. Almost all are marked as one or two stars and are considered "easy" . No story is given , very little background, mostly log only style and all placed by the same cachers.

I skipped most of them but did a couple to see what they were like and came to find there were many on private property without the owners OK(yes their signage and driveway and fences are theirs even though it is down from the main bulidings! A very cranky man let me know this along HWY. 69 N!).

I was very disappointed there were so many , so close .

Also no one ever seems to log a "did not find", every search cannot be a find for every cache, whats up in AZ ?

So my question is this : Is Geocaching really only about the numbers in Central Arizona? Does anyone else think the super close ,high saturation level takes the fun or the hunt away?

That said , I went farther out into the hills and found a wonderful Cache at McCabe Cemetery which was really a great ride and interesting historic place.

You found yourself in the middle of jeananjoe country. The cure is easy. Next time set up your pocket query for the area with a minimum terrain of two and you you will never see 95% of their caches. You can then concentrate your efforts on the finds that you will probably find more interesting. Everyone caches a little differently.

RA, AzRT

Edited by Arizona Ranger Team

Doh! Slaps own forehead!

Wow I should have figured that out on my own! I was just too busy being annoyed.

I shall stick to the back roads and historic sites next visit!

Thanks for the simple way to get a better perspective on things Arizona Range Team!

You found yourself in the middle of jeananjoe country. The cure is easy. Next time set up your pocket query for the area with a minimum terrain of two and you you will never see 95% of their caches. You can then concentrate your efforts on the finds that you will probably find more interesting. Everyone caches a little differently.

RA, AzRT

Is Geocaching really only about the numbers in Central Arizona?

Central Arizona is not alone with this problem. Since the change in cache saturation guidelines last year, power trails like this are rapidly appearing all over.

What change in cache saturation guidelines?

The cache saturation guidelines were re-worded to remove the power trail comment, multi-cache suggestion and reviewer requirements. You can see the changes to the guidelines as listed in this post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4233073

For all practical purposes, as long as the caches are 0.1 apart and meet the rest of the guidelines, you can keep hiding caches every 0.1 until you are blue in the face, or dead on your feet.

Hello all, I am from Inland Southern California and just returned from Arizona where I was visiting family.

Last time I was there in the Hwy 69/169 /I-17 Dewey/ Prescott /Cordes Junction area I had a great time caching. There were thoughtful caches decently far apart to hunt.

Last week I pulled up the maps and the area is actually covered with caches! Some are barely the approx. 600 feet apart. Almost all are marked as one or two stars and are considered "easy" . No story is given , very little background, mostly log only style and all placed by the same cachers.

I skipped most of them but did a couple to see what they were like and came to find there were many on private property without the owners OK(yes their signage and driveway and fences are theirs even though it is down from the main bulidings! A very cranky man let me know this along HWY. 69 N!).

I was very disappointed there were so many , so close .

Also no one ever seems to log a "did not find", every search cannot be a find for every cache, whats up in AZ ?

So my question is this : Is Geocaching really only about the numbers in Central Arizona? Does anyone else think the super close ,high saturation level takes the fun or the hunt away?

That said , I went farther out into the hills and found a wonderful Cache at McCabe Cemetery which was really a great ride and interesting historic place.

everytime i can't find it, it gets a DNF log from me. theres no law against logging dnfs!

Sun Valley Parkway outside of Phoenix, east side, has a good mix of easy and challenging cache hides. Recommend starting on the south end, caching north and finding the east side first. Go to the end and turn around and drive south. The ones on the west side seemed easier when I did it with GRALDRICH. Depending on the time of year, it can be quite challenging if heat is a factor. Many local AZ Cachers get their personal best on that trail. It's a draw for the area and cachers will come from CA, Texas and other states to do it too. Pick the right caching partner and have fun; life is too short.

Yeah, even though I'm not a serious cacher I'm sick of the boring old micro, log only, pil capsle caches. People should put some originality into their caches. I mean, those micros are just so annoying and not very fun.:blink:

There are still good ones few and far between, like I found this one in Tucson, where I live, it was a birdhouse! Now isn't that cool? There were even birds near it. It took me and my friend like 10 minutes to find it, but why can't people use that kind of ingenuity?:)

Oh, and about the close together caches, I don't mind those as long as they're in the wilderness or in a park. But the roadside stop, grab and go ones don't cut it for me.

Denver#9

I notice that the caches tucked away in the desert are generally better, and more fun. Every now and then i see a clever urban one, but more often than not AZ urbans seem to be about the quick grabs lol.

Head over to Deems Hills Park in North Phoenix, i've had quite a good time hunting there. the cache called "Snag," in particular was a favorite :]