caching protocol.

This is my first time posting and second day of Geocaching.

My husband and I were out looking in the woods and saw another couple looking around. We didn't say anything but when we got home and checked the website I noticed that the cache was found that day, so I am assuming that it was them. They only have 4 finds so they are new, so are we. Would it be weird to email them and ask them if they want to go with us sometime??? Is that against the rules? Would it be too weird to get an email from a random stranger?

My husband and I were out looking in the woods and saw another couple looking around. We didn't say anything but when we got home and checked the website I noticed that the cache was found that day, so I am assuming that it was them. They only have 4 finds so they are new, so are we. Would it be weird to email them and ask them if they want to go with us sometime??? Is that against the rules? Would it be too weird to get an email from a random stranger?

My wife and I are new to this as well I dont think it to be wierd for myself and my wife......but you never know what other people think....if it were me I would probably send them a email what would really come of a no ...or .a..yes I don't think it would hurt...whats the worse they can say..we are new as i stated, but allways game to meet new people and get out caching we live in the middle of surrey so central to all caches you can allways send us an invite we are pretty busy during the week but weekends are most likely to get us out......Rick and Marnie .....fuzzy-dogs@hotmail.com or message us from geo.....

Cheers

My wife and I are new to this as well I dont think it to be wierd for myself and my wife......but you never know what other people think....if it were me I would probably send them a email what would really come of a no ...or .a..yes I don't think it would hurt...whats the worse they can say..we are new as i stated, but allways game to meet new people and get out caching we live in the middle of surrey so central to all caches you can allways send us an invite we are pretty busy during the week but weekends are most likely to get us out......Rick and Marnie .....fuzzy-dogs@hotmail.com or message us from geo.....

Cheers

oooops maybe i should of looked at your profile to see where you were before posting ......how freakin silly eh.......

Cheers

oooops maybe i should of looked at your profile to see where you were before posting ......how freakin silly eh.......

Nah, don't worry about it! If I lived near you I'd go geocaching with you. B)

I think emailing the people would be a wonderful way to make friends among your local geocaching community. Even if you don't end up caching together often, you'll have made a contact to ask and give help with those tricky caches ("where do we start to try and solve that horrible computer puzzle?" or "we've looked twice but haven't been able to find that cunningly camouflaged cache which you found last month...were we looking in the right place?"). It can be pretty hard to get to know other cachers in an area, so it's important to develop your own networks. You can also email cache owners to ask for a clue after you've done your best but still can't find a cache. The majority of experienced cachers are happy to help (they'll give a clue, and if you're still stymied a more explicit clue). That gives you another person whose name you know when you attend your first caching event!

Can I tell you a story from the first caching event we attended which shows how important emailing amongst cachers is? A bloke giving out a "most difficult cache" award was commenting that a number of local puzzle caches were so difficult they were only able to be solved through the "Phone a Friend" method. He said that he had even thought about placing a puzzle cache which was deliberately completely impossible to solve. His plan was that when he got emailed for a clue, he would give the cacher the co-ordinates with the requirement that the answer had to be passed on in turn to everyone else who asked for a clue...

That's how we met one of the local caching couples. We were in Tahoe doing the loop mile marker caches and passed by one of the mile markers we'd already done. As we passed, we saw another couple, he in the traditional GPS mode - hand outstretched as if looking at a phone.

Didn't stop but checked the log for that mile marker that night. Noted that it had been found. Later we saw that same cacher's handle in several logs on the way home. Turns out they are a local couple (live within 20 miles of us). We didn't e-mail but we did meet up with them at the next months Meet & Greet. We've been friends ever since.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

That happened to me awhile back. I had logged a DNF a couple of times on a cache hidden on a tank. I got email from some new geocachers asking if I wanted to look for it together the next time I was in the area (it was about 20 miles from home). I met them the following week, we found the cache together, then went on to find 3 other caches (and also DNFd on another one together). I mentioned an upcoming event to them that they didn't know about and they attended that as well. Because they took the initiative to email me they also met a few dozen other geocachers at the event and have "plan on attending" log for the next event coming up on May 1st.

We never consider an email from geocaching as coming from a stranger. That's just a friend that we haven't met yet! We absolutely love caching with a group of people. The stories that we share during the hunts just add to the fun! If you ever make a road trip down to NE Indiana, by all means send us an email, we'd love to go caching with you!

Kelly & Barbie

(Are_we_there_yet?)

What's the worst that could happen? They say "no thanks." What's the best that could happen? They turn out to be totally cool multi-millionaires with a beach pile in Key West and invite you to join them, all expenses paid.

Key West ain't all it's cracked up to be. Take it from someone who grew up a few miles away.

Go ahead and email them. I would feel honored if someone contacted me and wanted to go caching with me. Of course I would bring my wife and kids because they are my caching companions, but we'd still have lots of fun. I have emailed some of the people I have met at a cache event to get info from them about caching since I am still fairly new to it.