My first Geocache...in the DARK

So my boyfriend was telling me about geocaching and being a big fan of hiking already I jumped on the idea and bugged him for a week that we should do it this weekend. Of course he was as happy to have a go as I was and we found one "near" me and after a late wake up and a bit of procrastination we put on our shoes and set out.

Well first we had to walk over three hours to the first set of co-ordinates, which told us to go to the church and then do a puzzle to find the cache...After looking around for a bit, we realized my GPS was only actually designed for the roads and his iphone died. Leaving us without clues from the internet and us vaguely wandering in the direction of a flag on the screen while the voiceover lady is fitting at us :)

Unfortunately, both being pretty new to this, we had no idea that this cache would lead us where it did as the co-ordinates said on the road. but here we were in a field that resembled a mire. And we looked at each other and said one more then home. So we wandered off to find the second one. Equally as muddy, I fell into barbed wire, he lost a sock and that had a clue for a third one. So ok, third one, then we're going home. Only now we have no idea of the clue where it is, no idea of what it looks like and my GPS has an error margin of 30ft and we're up a very narrow cliff edge!!!!The suns well on it's way down, we've been walking for two hours between cache 2 and cache 3 wondering how the hell we're getting back. I must admit, I got very worried.

But then we found it and the cache told us the TEN MINUTE walk back to where it all started. This "stroll" had us dodging barbed wire, wading through marshland leaping walls where the path was completely lost, and... having the most awesome time. So loving geocaching. So not going to any more country ones without full hiking equipment B)

Great story. That's why I love caching. There's an adventure, a search, and a reward. It can be compared to RPG's like D&D, or to video games like WoW, but it has that reality aspect that makes it so compelling. You're out there in the real world, using magic devices (global locator, cast continual light, repel insects +2, capture image) and if you can brave the elements, the pests, and the terrain, your search might be rewarded with a treasure chest.

Then there's the time I failed my saving throw versus poison ivy, but that's another story.

Oakenwood, you totally made me laugh there. Not sure whether it was the amusing content or the fact that I totally agree with you! I have this annoying habbit or murmering "Adventure Charlie!" to my bf while we're out looking. I'm sure he's going to get a complex about being called Charlie :D

This is also why I like the multi cache puzzle ones better than the traditional ones. So much more adventurous.

Great story. That's why I love caching. There's an adventure, a search, and a reward. It can be compared to RPG's like D&D, or to video games like WoW, but it has that reality aspect that makes it so compelling. You're out there in the real world, using magic devices (global locator, cast continual light, repel insects +2, capture image) and if you can brave the elements, the pests, and the terrain, your search might be rewarded with a treasure chest.

Then there's the time I failed my saving throw versus poison ivy, but that's another story.

Oh, and what about the botched dice rolls - I've had a few. They usually included sudden and total watery immersion, lost cell phones, and so on...