Lost between Oregon 450 and 450t

Daghda

Trying to decide whether I should get the 450 or save up another month and get the t version.

I get more confused the more posts I read.

Is the basemap included with the 450 useless? From what I hear it has very little on it. Very few roads etc... Is there much topo info loaded in the basemap?

If I get the topo dvd is there some way I can take the info from maybe 20 states and put them on the sd card? or do I have to load a file from each state I go to? and can rename the files from the oregon if I do in order to load them. I know on my nuvi I have to rename to an .img file before the nuvi will read it

thank you

Trying to decide whether I should get the 450 or save up another month and get the t version.

I get more confused the more posts I read.

Is the basemap included with the 450 useless? From what I hear it has very little on it. Very few roads etc... Is there much topo info loaded in the basemap?

If I get the topo dvd is there some way I can take the info from maybe 20 states and put them on the sd card? or do I have to load a file from each state I go to? and can rename the files from the oregon if I do in order to load them. I know on my nuvi I have to rename to an .img file before the nuvi will read it

thank you

Visit gpsfiledepot.com. Files will come as *.img. Rename the first part to something you can remember and slide 'em right onto your Oregon. Go nuts. Add some good trail maps. Fill an 8GB card if you like! All the ones I have downloaded there are 24K topos instead of the 100K you get from Garmin, so I've been a very happy camper at the increased resolution.

Get the plain 450 and download free maps from gpsfiledepot or OSM / na1400. The one thing you don't get with the free maps are 3D view. Or at least, the ones have have doesn't have that info.

Even if you plan to get Garmin maps, the DVD allows you to browse the maps on your computer, not just on your GPSr.

No topo, very few streets on the basemap.

If I get the topo dvd is there some way I can take the info from maybe 20 states and put them on the sd card?

Yes, you can combine multiple states. The limit is in # of segments. You cannot put the whole US on a microSD card.

The 450t has 4 GB of internal memory, compared to 1 GB for the 450. That's one of the other differences between t and non-t.

Even if you plan to get Garmin maps, the DVD allows you to browse the maps on your computer, not just on your GPSr.

Version 3.01 of Garmin's BaseCamp allows you to see the pre-installed maps on your computer. No idea how well it works, but it is a step in the right direction.

- Added the ability to use BaseCamp with the pre-installed maps on a connected device or pre-programmed SD card.

The 450t has 4 GB of internal memory, compared to 1 GB for the 450. That's one of the other differences between t and non-t.

And a big advantage, if you can now browse the maps from your computer.