Any geocachers from kent?

Hi there,

I am new here, only found 3 caches but am loving geocaching so far!

I was wondering if there are any geocachers from kent on these board as i am struggling to get gps signal on my iphone where i live and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem! I live very close to canterbury but in the country side.

Also if anyone does live close and is interested in showing a newbie the ropes please let me know as i would love to make some contacts in the community!

Thanks

Flex

Hi Flex

From Kent myself (Medway Area)

I use my phone (Blackberry) and also the yellow Garmin Trex - only find problems with signals when I have not got a clear view of sky ( trees buildings etc).

pretty new to this myself as I kinda stumbled across Geocaching by accident.

Regards

Colin

I'm not from Kent, but some of my good caching pals are!

It would be a great start for you to get along to one of the local events - they meet monthly and it's a good opportunity to sit and chat with other cachers, and perhaps get out with one of them to find a cache or two!

Next Kent Event

If you can't make this one, try make the next!

It would be a great start for you to get along to one of the local events - they meet monthly and it's a good opportunity to sit and chat with other cachers, and perhaps get out with one of them to find a cache or two!

Next Kent Event

Brilliant, Thanks a lot for this link, I live extremely close to this event so will try to make it :)

Next Kent Event

Brilliant, Thanks a lot for this link, I live extremely close to this event so will try to make it B)

Look forward to meeting you they're really good group of peeps

You may have to hunt us out

Hints ... lappy's out - GPS on table - box of TB/GC laying around - large group, looks like fun

If in doubt - asked at the bar

I say this as - so often new peeps can't find us :)

You can tell my location just from my name!!

(well sort of - im in Mongeham but no-ones ever heard of that, its 1 mile from deal and 5 miles from dover)

i normally cache on the spur of the moment (finish work early or one just up the road from where i am) but if your ever in the area and im free just PM me or email me direct (davindeal@email.com) and wherever i am i will know as i always have my blackberry on me........ its my only unit i have for caching as well and am up to 58 finds with it.

Next Kent Event

Oh I see Ms S, you obviously do not like me any more. Not mentioning my Kentish meet last night :P:D

Next Kent Event

Oh I see Ms S, you obviously do not like me any more. Not mentioning my Kentish meet last night :P:D

Sorry Steve... I didn't see that one in there!!!!

Hello

I am in Sittingbourne. I use my 5800 with smart PX on it. I don't bother with the GPS on it instead I use my Garmin 310 car satnav as it is very accuate even under trees. I also never go out without an OS map...old school! :)

Regards

Sub

Edited by Subedei

yes, I have a day off... I dunno whether the wife is working or not but I might go out and find a few. I have a great spot for hiding a 5/5 but I need someone agile to place it for me and it needs to be waterproof. I will have to wait for my son to come home from school.. child labour is the future....

I am going to hide one today on a byway off Blue Bell Hill (most of my caches or on lanes/byways I know from doing off-roading so green laners can do them without having to do any ghastly walking!).

Edited by Subedei

I barely got home from placing it when it was found......

Going to placing my 5/5 tomorrow. I have placed a stiff drink in it for the FTF !! they would have earnt it !

You might want to re read the rules on placement - you cannot put food or drink into a cache!

I barely got home from placing it when it was found......

Going to placing my 5/5 tomorrow. I have placed a stiff drink in it for the FTF !! they would have earnt it !

You might want to re read the rules on placement - you cannot put food or drink into a cache!

Not to worry, didn't place it, my son dropped the satnav in the river....totally fubard now....will have to get a waterproof one !

I was wondering if there are any geocachers from kent on these board as i am struggling to get gps signal on my iphone where i live and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem! I live very close to canterbury but in the country side.

Hi Flex,

I live in Thanet and although I have a SatMap, I have recently been using my Iphone for caching! Lately, I have been working (and caching) all over the County and have not used my Satmap for a while now as the Iphone has been awesome! Although in places reception does drop a little, I have still been able to cache with it!

Are you using the Geocaching App? I also downloaded the GPSlite App as its free and ideal for multi-caches as you can just enter the co-ords as a waypoint and then follow the compass!

Also, remember that that the App is useless if you are using it 'live' and haven't got a phone signal! In the countryside I keep an eye on the phone signal and if its a little poor I use the 'save maps and photos' tab as it allows you to access the information and find caches without a phone signal.

As for using the Iphone in the countryside, I was out at Plucks Gutter today and found LMN's 'Plucked Out of the Gutter' and Pray4Mojo's 'Big Stour's Little Brother' with the Iphone alone, and although the signal was weak in areas I didn't have any troubles finding them both.

Also if anyone does live close and is interested in showing a newbie the ropes please let me know as i would love to make some contacts in the community!

Although i've found the majority of the caches in Thanet area and some of those between Thanet and Canterbury, I don't mind popping out for a few caches and showing you the ropes!

Hi Flex,

I live in Thanet and although I have a SatMap, I have recently been using my Iphone for caching! Lately, I have been working (and caching) all over the County and have not used my Satmap for a while now as the Iphone has been awesome! Although in places reception does drop a little, I have still been able to cache with it!

Are you using the Geocaching App? I also downloaded the GPSlite App as its free and ideal for multi-caches as you can just enter the co-ords as a waypoint and then follow the compass!

Also, remember that that the App is useless if you are using it 'live' and haven't got a phone signal! In the countryside I keep an eye on the phone signal and if its a little poor I use the 'save maps and photos' tab as it allows you to access the information and find caches without a phone signal.

As for using the Iphone in the countryside, I was out at Plucks Gutter today and found LMN's 'Plucked Out of the Gutter' and Pray4Mojo's 'Big Stour's Little Brother' with the Iphone alone, and although the signal was weak in areas I didn't have any troubles finding them both.

Although i've found the majority of the caches in Thanet area and some of those between Thanet and Canterbury, I don't mind popping out for a few caches and showing you the ropes!

Hi all,

I am from Kent again from the Medway area although originally from Dartford.

I too would like to meet up with fellow cachers and maybe learn a bit from them. I have only been Caching for about a year and have only found relativley local caches. I will be trying to attend one of the Kent meets but until then if anyone would like to team up one weekend then feel free to email me via my profile.

Thanks,

We are also from Kent (Currently in Canada but back in 3 weeks time!) and plan to get out and about a bit more in the area when we can. Once we're back it'd be great to meet up with other local cachers, hopefully we'll meet you at an event too.

Just for those that know us already, we were LucyLocket10 and Siliconwombat but merged to form a new 'team' of TheMightyFinn, after our loyal caching hound spaniel Finn :D

Happy caching!

Lucy, Tom & Finn

TheMightyFinn