Geomate Jr. in Canada

climbingcrew

I was thinking about picking one of these up for my kids. I am wondering how the update kits etc. work in Canada. Is it worth the trouble and expense to bring one in from the states and the update kit? Do you get access to newly placed caches?

Or should I just keep my eyes open for an entry level gps here in Canada?

I was thinking about picking one of these up for my kids. I am wondering how the update kits etc. work in Canada. Is it worth the trouble and expense to bring one in from the states and the update kit? Do you get access to newly placed caches?

There is no mention of Canada on the product's website with respect to the pre-loaded caches. It says it covers all 50 U.S. states.

IMHO, I would go with an entry level GPS.

If you wanted a little bit more than an entry level, Walmart have the Garmin 60CX on sale this week for $228. But, don't buy it from them. Instead, go to Cdn Tire and get one from them ($current price is $369) Get them to apply their price match guarantee. They'll sell it to you for $228 PLUS they'll give you 10% ($22.80) in Cdn Tire money. Net price of about $205.

NOT as good as the Cdn Tire guarantee used to be. They used to give you the DIFFERENCE between their price and the competitive price in Cdn Tire cash...so you would have got $141 in Cdn Tire money, bringing your net to about $85 for the GPS. I bought a lot of stuff from Cdn Tire while this policy was still in effect, but sadly they just recently changed it.

The Geomate.Jr works fine in Canada. Check out http://www.geocaching-101.com/2010/03/21/geomate-jr/ for our review. Also, you can buy them from a Canadian retailer, Landsharkz carries them for example.

A>

I bought a GeoMateJr from Landsharkz recently and oddly enough, even though it was still in an unopened factory-sealed package, it was pre-loaded with Canadian caches. All the documentation had suggested that the units came preloaded only with American caches.

After using it alongside my Garmin this past weekend, it has proven to be more accurate than the Garmin on some caches and less so on others. It does seem to need a clearer sky view to acquire satellites in the first place.

The main reason I bought it is not for everyday caching but to be able to head out on roadtrips without doing a lot of preliminary research re caches. I wouldn't see it as a replacement for a more fully-featured GPSr.