I just ordered my new Oregon 450. SO NOW WHAT!

Lol. In the email the PQ is an attached .zip file. Just download that, unzip it and put the GPX file on the 450.

so when I extract the files and it ask where i want to put them do i browse my computer to the garmin H drive and hit ok

I just created a folder on my desktop called Pocket Queries. Then when I download the PQ's, I send them there. That way you don't have to have your Oregon attached to the computer when you open your e-mail.

When you're ready to transfer to the Oregon, you can just Copy/Paste the GPX file from your desktop folder to your Garmin/GPX folder.

You need to put it in the Garmin folder and then the GPX folder.

hallelujah! by George I did it. Thanks

When I opened up the geocaching on gps there was the list of geocaches is there a way of selecting the name I gave the pocket query? so when i name other pocket queries I can select the query i want to look at?

Lol. In the email the PQ is an attached .zip file. Just download that, unzip it and put the GPX file on the 450.

so when I extract the files and it ask where i want to put them do i browse my computer to the garmin H drive and hit ok

I just created a folder on my desktop called Pocket Queries. Then when I download the PQ's, I send them there. That way you don't have to have your Oregon attached to the computer when you open your e-mail.

When you're ready to transfer to the Oregon, you can just Copy/Paste the GPX file from your desktop folder to your Garmin/GPX folder.

Thanks for the idea

Thats what I meant. I use GSAK to load them straight from my email into the database and then send them to the 450 that way.

When I opened up the geocaching on gps there was the list of geocaches is there a way of selecting the name I gave the pocket query? so when i name other pocket queries I can select the query i want to look at?

Each GPX file should have the same name as the PQ name you made...the default on GC.com is New Query, but you can edit that to, for example 'Home' or your ZIP Code or whatever you want. You can have up to 200 GPX files containing up to 5000 total caches on the unit. Once you put them in the Garmin/GPX folder, they all come up together on your Oregon.

What most people do is set their PQ's to only deliver unfound caches, then they delete the old ones when a new PQ of the same name comes in. That way you always have a fresh selection of unfound caches.

Thanks for this thread - it's a great place to start.

I just ordered a 450 - should arrive tomorrow with luck. I have a question about Birdseye.

I'm going to order Birdseye and I noticed earlier in this thread, it was suggested to begin downloading the Birdseye data up front, before the unit even arrives?

However I tried this from BaseCamp (Mac) using the 'Download Birdseye Imagery' menu option and it insists I first connect my device - else it gives the error 'No Supported Devices Found'.

Any suggestions how I can get this working? Once I'm sure it'll work 'up front' I'll subscribe, get an account and start work!

Oh, I assume a Birdseye account is created immediately the payment is received - an automatic process - is this the case?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Thanks for this thread - it's a great place to start.

I just ordered a 450 - should arrive tomorrow with luck. I have a question about Birdseye.

I'm going to order Birdseye and I noticed earlier in this thread, it was suggested to begin downloading the Birdseye data up front, before the unit even arrives?

However I tried this from BaseCamp (Mac) using the 'Download Birdseye Imagery' menu option and it insists I first connect my device - else it gives the error 'No Supported Devices Found'.

Any suggestions how I can get this working? Once I'm sure it'll work 'up front' I'll subscribe, get an account and start work!

Oh, I assume a Birdseye account is created immediately the payment is received - an automatic process - is this the case?

Thanks,

Jamie.

I think you need a MyGarmin account (free) then once you pay for the subscription it IS automated and you can begin downloading, however you need to hook your Oregon up to the computer before it starts. Once you've begun the download, you can disconnect your Oregon so you can go out caching while your maps download.

Ah... thanks. I have my Garmin now anyway and I'm (slowly) downloading the Birdseye data.

I visited http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/226/ which for the maps I need, led me to here:

http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php

And this provides me with a load of '.img' files.

I can't, however, work out how to get these into a format that the Garmin will like? This is complicated by me not having a PC - Mac OSX only, I'm afraid. Is this possible on a Mac? Any pointers?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Ah... thanks. I have my Garmin now anyway and I'm (slowly) downloading the Birdseye data.

I visited http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/226/ which for the maps I need, led me to here:

I can't, however, work out how to get these into a format that the Garmin will like? This is complicated by me not having a PC - Mac OSX only, I'm afraid. Is this possible on a Mac? Any pointers?

Thanks,

Jamie.

IMG files could probably be placed directly into the gps (or better yet, the MicroSD card in the gps) when it's connected to a Mac or PC in mass storage mode.

Check this, if you haven't already: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Thanks,

Jamie.

IMG files could probably be placed directly into the gps (or better yet, the MicroSD card in the gps) when it's connected to a Mac or PC in mass storage mode.

Check this, if you haven't already: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Many of the third-party free maps (but not all) also have a method of installing as an additional MapSource dataset so you can select which portion of the maps to load.

If you have enough free space on your MicroSD for the .img file, just put it in the correct location (see the above wikispaces link.)

Recent Oregon firmware updates actually removed most of the advantages to doing a Mapsource install - with a Mapsource install, you could take tiles from multiple datasets and combine them into one .img file. This was back when the Oregon only allowed 2-3 .IMG files. It now allows for FAR more.

Hey just a shout out to say "thanks " for all the info posted here! :)

I've learned allot and no more downloading one cache at a time for me!!!

(embarrassed to admit that :blink: )

But at any rate loving my new 450!!! dang this thing rocks compared to my old e-trex vista C

Thanks for the tips....

Each GPX file should have the same name as the PQ name you made...the default on GC.com is New Query, but you can edit that to, for example 'Home' or your ZIP Code or whatever you want. You can have up to 200 GPX files containing up to 5000 total caches on the unit. Once you put them in the Garmin/GPX folder, they all come up together on your Oregon.

What most people do is set their PQ's to only deliver unfound caches, then they delete the old ones when a new PQ of the same name comes in. That way you always have a fresh selection of unfound caches.

I am confused, according to Garmins website you can only have 2000 waypoints on the 450

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145...=63349#specsTab

Are waypoints different than geocaches?

I am glad to have been reading this post and the discussions. I was set on the 450t, but after reading I just ordered the 450 and have started to download maps. Save a hundred and from what I gather I will have better topo maps for free, plus add the 50 dollar rebate = one great deal.

... from what I gather I will have better topo maps for free...

I keep wondering why people think the free ones are better. They're not, in my opinion. They're just free.

If you want to see the best your Oregon/Colorado/Dakota can show, and (in Topo Canada V4, anyway) also get pretty good turn by turn navigation on road, and see Digital Elevation Model data so you see 3D views, you're going to need the Garmin maps.

I am confused, according to Garmins website you can only have 2000 waypoints on the 450

Yes. Right now I have 2500 caches and 1000 waypoints loaded on my 450.

OK so the 450 can hold 5000 caches. That sounds great but where did you get the info? It doesn't appear to be on garmins website. Also what happens when you put on more than 5000? Or what happens if 2 PQ over lap certain caches? Are they listed twice? Thanx for all the help guys, you are all a wealth of knowledge.

Yes. Right now I have 2500 caches and 1000 waypoints loaded on my 450.

OK so the 450 can hold 5000 caches. That sounds great but where did you get the info? It doesn't appear to be on garmins website. Also what happens when you put on more than 5000? Or what happens if 2 PQ over lap certain caches? Are they listed twice? Thanx for all the help guys, you are all a wealth of knowledge.

I tested it myself with the help of another member. He made a GPX file with 5000 different caches. Loaded it and it pulled up every once. Now I haven't tested it with over 5000 caches, thats something I'll have to do. If theres multiple instances of the cache I'm pretty sure it only displays it once, I haven't directly tested it though.

If you would like to not use as many AA batteries.

- Get a battery pack that you can put on your belt or in a pocket that has USB output.

- Get an iGo usb cable, and an A53 tip. If you search Oregon on the iGo website it will show the tip. The tip is compatible with the whole series. My Colorado is not listed when I looked it up but has been working fine for about 8 months. I will say that the tips are not a strong as I would like but they do come with a year warranty.

- You will need a short usb extension if you plan on having a battery in your pocket, or on your belt.

I should mention that you can use the cable that came with it but you will have to put the GPS in spanner mode in order to be able to get the map screen to appear instead of the computer connection screen. Then every time you plug it in you will have to answer yes or no to the question about mass storage mode. This is why I use the cable method above.

Edited by N7MFT

... from what I gather I will have better topo maps for free...

I keep wondering why people think the free ones are better. They're not, in my opinion. They're just free.

If you want to see the best your Oregon/Colorado/Dakota can show, and (in Topo Canada V4, anyway) also get pretty good turn by turn navigation on road, and see Digital Elevation Model data so you see 3D views, you're going to need the Garmin maps.

They ARE better in most regards, worse in one:

24K Topographic and hydrographic data in the free maps blows away the 100K Garmin topo datasets.

Roads in the free map datasets kind of suck

24K Topographic and hydrographic data in the free maps blows away the 100K Garmin topo datasets.

Depends on the map; for example the last time I was in Hawaii, I had both the Garmin 100K TOPO and the 24K gpsfiledepot map. The road data on the Garmin map was horrible, but the gpsfiledepot map was spot on.

Depends on the map; for example the last time I was in Hawaii, I had both the Garmin 100K TOPO and the 24K gpsfiledepot map. The road data on the Garmin map was horrible, but the gpsfiledepot map was spot on.

I'm really looking forward to someone releasing a map that combines an OSM export (or at least 2009 TIGER data) with topo for the Northeast. All of the topos that cover New York State are using an older TIGER dataset - the 2009 dataset is vastly improved in my county, and I've started doing some OSM edits in my hometown.

Hey quick question about the maps at gpsfiledepot..i downloaded one of the topo maps for texas, and will load it on my oregon 450 when it arrives on wednesday. Will I be able to use the 3D topo feature with these topo maps from gpsfiledepot?

Just thought I'd give you a couple of screenshots of the Garmin Topo DEM data 3D views:

6099.jpg6367.jpg

I took these while I was traveling today.

Too bad they're not geotagged so I know where they represent...