I just ordered my new Oregon 450. SO NOW WHAT!

I feel like a kid you just got to buy anything in the entire toy store she could.

I just ordered my first hand held gps the Oregon 450 this morning. I had been researching like crazy this past week. I got my tax return so it was time to blow it. I then ordered a Zagg screen protector and a dual USB car charger since I also have a nuvi for when I am driving. So what else does a person need to order while I am waiting for the gps to come.Does anyone know where to order a windshield mount for the 450 at reasonable price? When I get my gps what are the first essential things I need to download and from where. I live in New Mexico and want to use it for geocaching and for the jeep out on the trails Also don't forget there is a rebate offer on the Garmin website.

DO: Spend another $30 and grab yourself a premium membership here at gc.com so you can use Pocket Queries to load that bad boy up with caches the easy way!

DO: Grab a 4GB microSD card and install.

DO: Pay a visit to gpsfiledepot.com and see what kind of topo maps they have for you in your area.

DON'T: Upgrade the firmware to 3.30 just yet. There are some issues with this release that may prove a real bother.

Edited by ecanderson

I feel like a kid you just got to buy anything in the entire toy store she could.

I just ordered my first hand held gps the Oregon 450 this morning. I had been researching like crazy this past week. I got my tax return so it was time to blow it. I then ordered a Zagg screen protector and a dual USB car charger since I also have a nuvi for when I am driving. So what else does a person need to order while I am waiting for the gps to come.Does anyone know where to order a windshield mount for the 450 at reasonable price? When I get my gps what are the first essential things I need to download and from where. I live in New Mexico and want to use it for geocaching and for the jeep out on the trails Also don't forget there is a rebate offer on the Garmin website.

A couple of suggestions:

Maps. Either Garmin or free from sites online like http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

8 gigabyte Micro SDHC memory card. Hmm - is it compatible with SDHC?

Just checked some discussion on the Oregon Wiki and it seems that an 8 gig SDHC will work but is of limited use so perhaps a standard 4 gig SD card is all you need.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

What other maps should I download from gpsfiledepot.com.

For all of those who have been there and done it. Please share your experiences and knowledge about the 450 with all of us newbies who want to get there and do it so then we will be able to pass on our knowledge.

What other maps should I download from gpsfiledepot.com.

For all of those who have been there and done it. Please share your experiences and knowledge about the 450 with all of us newbies who want to get there and do it so then we will be able to pass on our knowledge.

You were smart in that you bought the 450 instead paying the extra price for the 450T. You'll get higher resolution topos at the site mentioned. Just gotta go there and see what they have that focuses in on the areas that interest you.

Interested in the Gila Nat Forest roads and trails? There's a topo just for that. Or grab the South Central US with Installer.

If you need routable road maps, OSM at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php is a great source. They will email you back with the download links when they're ready to be "picked up".

All you need to do with any of these is to rename the *.img files to something you can remember and slide them over into the Garmin directory of your Garmin, or better, create a Garmin directory over on that new microSD card you're going to buy, and slide them over there.

Edited by ecanderson

DO: Spend another $30 and grab yourself a premium membership here at gc.com so you can use Pocket Queries to load that bad boy up with caches the easy way!

DO: Pay a visit to gpsfiledepot.com and see what kind of topo maps they have for you in your area.

DON'T: Upgrade the firmware to 3.30 just yet. There are some issues with this release that may prove a real bother.

without even looking first, I updated my 450 with the 3.30. (Last Friday). oh well, I'll just have to wait for the next patch I presume. I'm still learning the how and the what with this unit.

-jav

Premium membership? DONE

Hey quick question about the maps at gpsfiledepot..i downloaded one of the topo maps for texas, and will load it on my oregon 450 when it arrives on wednesday. Will I be able to use the 3D topo feature with these topo maps from gpsfiledepot?

I don't think so. I doubt that they have the Digital Elevation Model data in them.

I downloaded the Arizona Topo, and it didn't have the 3D.

Can you please explain Pocket Queries?

pocket queries should be your best friend.

Pocket Queries are custom geocache queries you can have emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis. They are in a format you can bring along with you on cache hunts on your GPS and/or PDA. You can select a GPX or LOC text file that works with supported software applications. Because of the detailed queries, each search can run only once per day. Each pocket querie can contain up to 500 (1000 starting in may) detailed geocaches with all pertinent information (description, hint, size, difficulty, terrain, etc, etc) You have up to 5 pocket queries run every 24 hour period.

I would not geocache if I didn't have pocket queries. It would take too long to download caches individually. ok, that's a lie..i still would, but it would definitely be more cumbersome.

Edited by agtitan

pocket queries should be your best friend.

Pocket Queries are custom geocache queries you can have emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis. They are in a format you can bring along with you on cache hunts on your GPS and/or PDA. You can select a GPX or LOC text file that works with supported software applications. Because of the detailed queries, each search can run only once per day. Each pocket querie can contain up to 500 (1000 starting in may) detailed geocaches with all pertinent information (description, hint, size, difficulty, terrain, etc, etc) You have up to 5 pocket queries run every 24 hour period.

I would not geocache if I didn't have pocket queries. It would take too long to download caches individually. ok, that's a lie..i still would, but it would definitely be more cumbersome.

You can select a GPX or LOC text file that works with supported software applications. I do not understand what GPX or LOC is.

Ah, you're gonna love this.

Start at geocaching.com

Click on Your Profile (over on the left)

On the right, under Premium Features, you'll see Build Pocket Queries

Click on Create a New Query

You can choose a centerpoint in a lot of ways, filter for difficulty, size, found/not-found... all kinds of stuff. When you have created a query, you can review what it will return even before you ask for the file to be sent to you. Just back up to that first page where you clicked on "Create a New Query", and next to the query you created, click on that tiny little square map with the magnifying glass on it. That will bring up a map of the results.

If you like what you see, select a day of week from that same "Create a New Query" page ... like Monday if you want it sent to you today! If you don't like what you see, go back and tweak your selections until you do like it. It will return up to 500 caches closest to what you requested as a center. I've heard that in May that this will be increased to 1000 by the folks at gc.com.

There's a pretty good description of the process here: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Once you get a few of these set up that work for you, it's just a matter of having them emailed to you when you need them (that's part of the setup of the Pocket Query). Assuming you asked to have them sent to you as ZIP files, just unzip what you get and slide the larger of the two files right over into your Oregon in the Garmin/GPX folder.

There is software out there that can be used to tweak and filter the files before you send them to your Oregon, but you might as well just start with the easiest and most basic process. It's really easy with these newer units.

A word: you can't delete caches from the front panel of your Oregon. For that, you need to use your PC to go back in to the Garmin/GPX folder and delete the whole file that you placed there earlier.

Also, as you log finds (or "un"finds) on your Oregon, it will create a file called cache_visits.txt in the Garmin folder. Those can be used to make logging at gc.com easier, but we'll cross that bridge later!

Start at geocaching.com

And once you create one or two saved queries on the site, having attributes you like, you can save time in making future queries by copying ones you like to new then modifying the copy's central location, for instance, and presto - you've got another query which only took a fraction of the time to create.

I find when I create a query from scratch, I always forget some important settings and need to go back and modify it - this way it's much quicker.

Also, since you can only run the query once a day, if you're in a hurry, just copy the query and run that instead. It won't be seen as the same so it will run as soon as possible.

Start at geocaching.com

You can choose a centerpoint in a lot of ways, filter for difficulty, size, found/not-found... all kinds of stuff. When you have created a query, you can review what it will return even before you ask for the file to be sent to you. Just back up to that first page where you clicked on "Create a New Query", and next to the query you created, click on that tiny little square map with the magnifying glass on it. That will bring up a map of the results.

If you like what you see, select a day of week from that same "Create a New Query" page ... like Monday if you want it sent to you today! If you don't like what you see, go back and tweak your selections until you do like it. It will return up to 500 caches closest to what you requested as a center. I've heard that in May that this will be increased to 1000 by the folks at gc.com.

There's a pretty good description of the process here: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Once you get a few of these set up that work for you, it's just a matter of having them emailed to you when you need them (that's part of the setup of the Pocket Query). Assuming you asked to have them sent to you as ZIP files, just unzip what you get and slide the larger of the two files right over into your Oregon in the Garmin/GPX folder.

There is software out there that can be used to tweak and filter the files before you send them to your Oregon, but you might as well just start with the easiest and most basic process. It's really easy with these newer units.

A word: you can't delete caches from the front panel of your Oregon. For that, you need to use your PC to go back in to the Garmin/GPX folder and delete the whole file that you placed there earlier.

Also, as you log finds (or "un"finds) on your Oregon, it will create a file called cache_visits.txt in the Garmin folder. Those can be used to make logging at gc.com easier, but we'll cross that bridge later!

Whew! Thanks

Premium membership? DONE

Guess I'm too late for this, but you get a 1 month free trial with the Oregon. Good news is, you can add that one month trial to your existing membership.

will it be in the paper work with my oregon

I don't recall (box is at home) but you need to do 3 things:

1. Register your GPSr at My Garmin https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

2. Install the Garmin Communicator Plug-In

3. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/Garmin/freetrial.aspx

I recall there were some oddities - it tells me my membership's expiry is 1/1/0000 or something like that, then the site doesn't update the 1 month addition on Your Profiles page (the little widget at the upper right corner). But if you go to your Account Details you'll see the date updated.

i bought the 4gb sd card today. Wht does everyone say buy a 4gb I was wondering because for a few dollars more you can get an 8gb or is 4 all it will need?

I got the 8 GB. It works well. It just doesn't seem that the Garmin can make use of all the memory.

Premium membership? DONE

Guess I'm too late for this, but you get a 1 month free trial with the Oregon. Good news is, you can add that one month trial to your existing membership.

will it be in the paper work with my oregon

I don't recall (box is at home) but you need to do 3 things:

1. Register your GPSr at My Garmin https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

2. Install the Garmin Communicator Plug-In

3. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/Garmin/freetrial.aspx

I recall there were some oddities - it tells me my membership's expiry is 1/1/0000 or something like that, then the site doesn't update the 1 month addition on Your Profiles page (the little widget at the upper right corner). But if you go to your Account Details you'll see the date updated.

i bought the 4gb sd card today. Wht does everyone say buy a 4gb I was wondering because for a few dollars more you can get an 8gb or is 4 all it will need?

I got the 8 GB. It works well. It just doesn't seem that the Garmin can make use of all the memory.

thanks

I'm running a good (7.5 degree) gpsfiledepot topo of the entire state of Colorado in 203MB. Gives you an idea. My route-able street maps for the entire front range of CO run 30MB. Figured with that, I'd never need more than 4GB.
I'm running a good (7.5 degree) gpsfiledepot topo of the entire state of Colorado in 203MB. Gives you an idea. My route-able street maps for the entire front range of CO run 30MB. Figured with that, I'd never need more than 4GB.

cool!

I forgot to answer your "so now what?" question - now you wait eagerly looking out the window every time you hear a truck go past :)

Anyway, the following tips may help you use the GPSr more effectively:

1. Read http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ - it's way better than the manual.

2. Learn about pocket queries. I use it with GSAK, which is powerful but not one of the easiest piece of software to learn. You don't need GSAK - you can copy the PQs directly into the Oregon. But it makes things much easier, and you can use GSAK to keep track of finals for puzzles and multis.

3. Learn how to use field notes to log your finds. It's a great time saver. However, due to an existing bug, your finds will be logged as GMT date unless you change it. This affects all caches found between 6 p.m. and midnight for New Mexico.

4. Customize the main menu on your Oregon. Remove the buttons you don't need, and move those you need to the beginning, so that you don't need to scroll to find them. Make use of "Profiles" - each profile has its own set of top level buttons.

5. Switch the background. A pure white background is best - makes it easier to read.

Have fun. I'm envious - I'm using an Oregon 300 B)

Edited by Chrysalides

I forgot to answer your "so now what?" question - now you wait eagerly looking out the window every time you hear a truck go past :)

Anyway, the following tips may help you use the GPSr more effectively:

1. Read http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ - it's way better than the manual.

2. Learn about pocket queries. I use it with GSAK, which is powerful but not one of the easiest piece of software to learn. You don't need GSAK - you can copy the PQs directly into the Oregon. But it makes things much easier, and you can use GSAK to keep track of finals for puzzles and multis.

3. Learn how to use field notes to log your finds. It's a great time saver. However, due to an existing bug, your finds will be logged as GMT date unless you change it. This affects all caches found between 6 p.m. and midnight for New Mexico.

4. Customize the main menu on your Oregon. Remove the buttons you don't need, and move those you need to the beginning, so that you don't need to scroll to find them. Make use of "Profiles" - each profile has its own set of top level buttons.

5. Switch the background. A pure white background is best - makes it easier to read.

Have fun. I'm envious - I'm using an Oregon 300 B)

I know the place I ordered it said they have fast shipping but right now it can not be fast enough. We are all like a bunch of kids waiting for that shining new toy for your birthday. You know it is coming but the anticipation is going to kill you.

Can you please tell me what GSAK is?

Can you please tell me what GSAK is?

If you use a Mac, then you either need to run Windows in a VM, have access to a Windows machine, or forget about GSAK.

GSAK (http://www.gsak.net ) is a waypoint management tool. You populate it with the results of your pocket query, then you can do a variety of searches or operations on them, from basic to very advanced. The strength of GSAK is that it can be extended by macros. One example is the statistics generator many people use. I combine 11 PQs for all the geocaches within a certain distance from me in GSAK, and it keeps track of the puzzles I've solved, and multis which I've obtained coordinates for but have not gone to the final. I use the macros to update the POIs on my Nuvi, upload geocaches to my Oregon, and when I still use it, the waypoints on my eTrex.

You can use GSAK to perform much more complicated searches than what Groundspeak allows. You can even search the text in logs or description.

The anticipation is about to kill me I can't wait for my new toy to get here. This is kind of off the subject but when you go out geocaching other than the gps what is the most important items you carry with you the ones you would never leave home without?

Spare batteries

Flashlight (even in daylight you might need one)

Sun screen, a hat

Water, food

Spare pencils you can leave in a cache, if necessary. Dollar store pencil sharpeners, for the same reason.

Swag.

Waterproof baggies so you can help keep cache logs dry if necessary.

Whatever you need to protect yourself from ticks, bees and Poison Ivy, etc, if you're caching in the wilds.

Actually, the Oregon/Colorado/Dakotas can use the larger memory. Individual map files cannot be larger than 4 GB, as this is a limit imposed by the FAT32 file system. However, you can have multiple map files. I have around 12 GB of maps on my Colorado's SD card at the moment and it all works fine.

Actually, the Oregon/Colorado/Dakotas can use the larger memory. Individual map files cannot be larger than 4 GB, as this is a limit imposed by the FAT32 file system. However, you can have multiple map files. I have around 12 GB of maps on my Colorado's SD card at the moment and it all works fine.

thanks I would rather start out with the larger one and have way too much space than not enough. I think bigger is always better in most cases.

If you intend on offroading with your Oregon skip the plastic mounts. The vibrations will kill it too fast. Spend a couple of extra buck and pick up a RAM mount. its aluminum, more versatile and one stem will work for a varitey of bases. In my case i have one for the Van, one for the boat and one more for the skidoo. Check them out at Bass Pro Shop.

If you intend on offroading with your Oregon skip the plastic mounts. The vibrations will kill it too fast. Spend a couple of extra buck and pick up a RAM mount. its aluminum, more versatile and one stem will work for a varitey of bases. In my case i have one for the Van, one for the boat and one more for the skidoo. Check them out at Bass Pro Shop.

Thanks

my 450 finally came today!!!!!

When I go to gpsfiledepot.com and go to download the new mexico topo map it asks if I have garmin mapsource and garmin training center. Do I need to download these 2 items? And if there is anyone else from new mexico what good maps are there for new mexico. And for anyone else what other maps do you find helpful on this website? If I want the maps for texas do I have to downloaded all the maps in the southern section or just texas?

my 450 finally came today!!!!!

When I go to gpsfiledepot.com and go to download the new mexico topo map it asks if I have garmin mapsource and garmin training center. Do I need to download these 2 items? And if there is anyone else from new mexico what good maps are there for new mexico. And for anyone else what other maps do you find helpful on this website? If I want the maps for texas do I have to downloaded all the maps in the southern section or just texas?

I got both the training center and mapsource. my mapsource installed just fine without having to go thru any sort of tutorial. Yes, you do need to get mapsource to load the gpsfiledepot.com maps.

I can't speak for New Mexico, but the Arizona topo and the Southwest trails overlay look awesome. Download that New Mexico topo, and make sure to get the Southwest trails overlay, (it covers both Arizona & New Mexico).

welcome to the club! I love my 450 too!

Mine will be here hopefully by the end of the week! Can't wait!

Well mine is here and I already feel lost. It is quite a bit different then my nuvi in my truck. I have been outside trying to get it to acquire a signal and no luck it is overcast I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. And the manual is very vague.