Upgrading Advice please

I have been caching for about a year now using an old eTrex Venture - often with the help of Memory Map printouts from the home PC.

I am now in the lucky position of being able to upgrade - without worrying too much about cost.

My three key requirements are a sensitive receiver (am very envious of friends ability to get signals on his Garmin 60CSx); map display (I like OS 1:25000 best, or else 1:50000 or something with equivavlent detail), and finally paperless caching (particularly so that a PQ for an area can be downloaded in advance 'just in case' there is chance to look for ad-hoc caches). The ability to do Wherigo might be useful - I need to achieve one for a particular 'challenge' - but is not essential.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to a suitable GPS etc to consider.

Thanks

Steve

Garmin Oregon - all models support paperless caching and have a sensitive receiver, micro SD slot and electronic/magnetic compass (works when you stand still). The OS GB Discoverer maps 1:50K and 1:25K, the Garmin Topo (if not included) and the free Openstreet maps can all be loaded on all the models.

300 no preloaded maps

400t includes Garmin European topographical maps (no where near as detailed as the OS GB Discoverer maps from Garmin available separately)

450 without maps but with the new 3 axis compass (works whichever way you hold the unit)

450t as the 450 with the European topo maps

500 as the 450 and with a camera

500t as the 400t and with a camera

I think that's right!

I've the 400t with OS GB Discoverer maps.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

Just upgraded from my BlackBerry Bold to a shiny new Oregon 550 with OS mapping... it arrives tomorrow ;)

Not usual for a girlie to get excited about techie toys, but there we are :D

I have the 450 and have no complaints.... I use GarminBing to get OS maps not certain what the difffernce between that and bought except that you can only put in 100 tiles which is enough for a days caching...

Oh and would recomend getting plenty of baterys for your toy B)

Well, I have taken your advice, and just taken delivery of an Oregon 550t (it's not often I get the chance to spoil myself :P ).

I do see what some reviews meant about lack of instructions! - I now need to work out how to connect to computer (yes - I know you plug it in , but what different connection settings mean), how to get PQs into it, how to tranfer groups of waypoint from GSAK etc..etc.

Second stage of research will be into getting 'bing'? maps into it - talk of tiles etc - but that stage can wait for a bit.

Chalkylou - hope you are enjoying your new toy as well.

Thanks again to you all for your recommendations.

Steve

Well, I have taken your advice, and just taken delivery of an Oregon 550t (it's not often I get the chance to spoil myself :P ).

I do see what some reviews meant about lack of instructions! - I now need to work out how to connect to computer (yes - I know you plug it in , but what different connection settings mean), how to get PQs into it, how to tranfer groups of waypoint from GSAK etc..etc.

Second stage of research will be into getting 'bing'? maps into it - talk of tiles etc - but that stage can wait for a bit.

Chalkylou - hope you are enjoying your new toy as well.

Thanks again to you all for your recommendations.

Steve

All your questions answered.