Spoiler Images on Webpages (feature request)

rmatosinhos

There are a lot ways to place spoiler images on web pages. Some just write "Spoiler" other "the cache is here" etc.

Would be grear if ground speak added a feature to the owner to identify an image as a spoiler.

Like the hint...

This cache has a spoiler (clique here to show)

This way could also be easily imported by GSAK scripts

There are a lot ways to place spoiler images on web pages. Some just write "Spoiler" other "the cache is here" etc.

Would be grear if ground speak added a feature to the owner to identify an image as a spoiler.

Like the hint...

This cache has a spoiler (clique here to show)

This way could also be easily imported by GSAK scripts

Agreed, sometimes it's really hard to identify which of the many included pictures is the spoiler.

And I'd make it a strict and enforced rule that there can only be exactly one spoiler image, which is clearly marked as such (not one named "cache location from far away", another "cache from closer by", etc.).

Martin.

What I'd like regarding spoiler images is as a CO is having the power to delete an uploaded spoiler photo without deleting the person's log.

I like this approach. I hate deleting someones find but it's not fair to give away the exact location and ruin it for those that like the challenge.

I usually e-mail the finder and tell them that I am going to delete their find at a certain time unless the picture is deleted. WORDED NICELY AND A GOOD EXPLANATION GIVEN WHY. So far pictures have been deleted, so I haven't had to actually delete a find for that reason. Most often people are just excited to have found it and don't think about how a picture can ruin it for others - they're just trying to help the next person.

What I'd like regarding spoiler images is as a CO is having the power to delete an uploaded spoiler photo without deleting the person's log.

We would second this approach.

Some may not be aware that their photo is or may be considered a spoiler.

Bumping this thread up because I'm in full agreement with this idea. I've let a number of photos stand because I didn't want to delete someone's entire log just to get rid of a spoiler shot.

Ricardo, you are encountering a cultural difference. In Europe, spoiler photos from the cache owner are very common. A German or Czech cacher would read your request and agree quickly that it would be helpful to have an official spoiler label. But in the United States, the general geocaching culture is that the owner doesn't provide spoiler pictures except in special cases. Owners here react strongly if someone else posts a spoiler with their log. The term spoiler means different things in different places.

Ricardo, you are encountering a cultural difference. In Europe, spoiler photos from the cache owner are very common. A German or Czech cacher would read your request and agree quickly that it would be helpful to have an official spoiler label. But in the United States, the general geocaching culture is that the owner doesn't provide spoiler pictures except in special cases. Owners here react strongly if someone else posts a spoiler with their log. The term spoiler means different things in different places.

WOW! I feel so worldly! :)

I have posted spoiler photos to my caches on a few occasions.

Those who do not want the spoiler should simply not look at the photos. ;)

OTOH, if someone spends three hours getting to the cache site, I want them to make the find...whatever it takes. :D

One well known cacher in our area accidentally put a spoiler picture up, but it stayed because he didn't know it wsa a spoiler. When he has a DNF, he puts a DNF coin where he looked and takes a photo. Once, he put it right on the cache without knowing it!