What do you carry your kit in?

Tarkio

So I'm new to this, and so far I've just been using a little soft-sided vinyl cooler to carry my stuff in. It's small, and we picked it up as giveaway swag at a conference or something, so it was free. It works okay for caching on streets, sidewalks and parking lots, but when I get to climbing over rocks, up mountains and so on, it's not so handy.

I figured it'd be worth asking, what do some of you seasoned cachers use for carrying around the tools and various items you like to have at hand when you are out geocaching.

I thought maybe an Army map case, or possibly even a (shiver) fanny-pack. What do you use?

I'm not a fanny pack fan, so I'll call what I use a waist pack. :) It's a belt unit with a water bottle carrier, small pack (perfect for a camera) and a larger pack. I keep the larger pack in front. It has a large compartment for swag, notebook, flashlight, tools and a small compartment for pencils, pens, and tweezers. Looks strange, but it puts everything in easy reach.

When The Team goes out for a three-four hour hike, we usually both wear large type fanny packs which have pouches for two water bottles each.

Of course we upgrade to back packs when conditions warrant.

For my frequent after-work exercise hikes, I usually do not carry anything other than my home made walking stick, hat and gizmo.

Welcome fellow Cacher! Welcome to the addiction!

My philosophy has always been to spend the least amount of money and have the most amount of fun. If a free soft pack cooler gets the job done, then you'll have more money to buy gas for your geomobile. You may want to check out a local Army/Navy Surplus store as they have some pretty neat stuff for cheap. Also consignment stores will sometimes have used backpacks. Think about the type of caching you will do the most and select a bag or pack based on those circumstances.

I use a shoulder sling pack for urban caching/short hikes, park and grabs (car), and caching by bicycle. My bag holds water bottle, GPS'r, trade items, geocoins, travel bugs, pens, notepad, camera, multi tool, knife, chewing gum, flashlight, headlamp, batteries, chapstick, hand sanitizer/wet wipes, sunglasses, baseball cap, and bicycle repair tools.

Now, there have been many threads on here about backpacks and what people carry in them. Some people have dumped out the contents of their packs and photographed them. With a little searching you can find these threads and the bevy of information in them. Here's a few to start.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...amp;hl=backpack

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=235342&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=220569&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=217364&hl=

well i was going to use a hiking bag but of corse, i couldn't find it! so i used my old school bag. it is fairly large and does the job. B)

Inside: inside you should put things depending on how far you are walking. :D

not too far: a bottle of water per person

GPS

proper shoes

pen/pencil for the log book

something to trade

far: :D atleast one bottle of water per person

GPS

proper shoes

pen/pencil for the log book

something to trade

snacks and sandwitches (bread and nuts are the best)

old clothes that you don't mind getting dirty/ruined

* remember to always read up on the details of the geocache and you will learn more about the loaction

:) and what to take* B)

hope this helped :D

I have a Camelbak with two large storage pounches built in. It takes care of water for a long day out hiking, biking or paddling, and it holds my GPS, cell phone, spare batteries, a spare pair of socks, first aid kit, pen, swaggie type items, and some snackage. It also has a padded subpouch for an iPod with an access hole for the earbud chord.

I recently started taking a back pack with my on my Geocaching trips. But learning from a recent hobbie (rc car racing). I didn't want to take my entire garage with me either. Now don't get me wrong theres nothing wrong with being prepared. I packed my backpack with the basics batterys,extra logs,extra pens/pencils,a knife etc. But what I am starting to realize now is that I am going to have to have two bags for Geocaching. One for urban caching and one for rural caching. Theres just no way around it. You may want to take a look at what kind of caching you do and go from there.

Edited by Shrekito

I found a climbing backpack that I really like. Its small and light so it doesn't get hot when hiking a long way but is big enough to hold everything I need for a day of caching.

Its made by Piranha but I can't find them online anywhere.

I work by the factory and stop in when they have the "get it out of the warehouse" sales.

:) Thanks so much for all the amazing responses. What a great community!

When I think of a fanny pack, I picture tourists wandering around Vegas wearing fanny packs they got free with a coupon book at Circus Circus. I'm not someone who worries too much about fashion, but I can't bring myself to wear a fanny pack.

Now if I call it a "waist pack" I might be able to stomach it. And hands-free is a must.

I do like the idea of a waist pack that will hold water bottles. Looks like a trip to REI is in my future.

So far, what I've got in my pack is a pocket sized moleskine for notes, a pen/pencil, small flashlight, a few tablets of Tylenol and Asprin, tweezers and about a dozen various little trinkets and coins. I'll probably add a multi-tool and a small first aid kit.

I have to admit this is more fun than I thought it would be. Thanks Chooch72 for introducing me to Geocaching and thank all of you for the great advice!

When I think of a fanny pack, I picture tourists wandering around Vegas wearing fanny packs they got free with a coupon book at Circus Circus.

LMAO a british person would envision something so completely different if they see this post :)

won't say it here, but you can google "fanny british slang" B)

I use a heavy duty Kona mountain biking pack. It holds a 5 liter water bag and has a total of 19 compartments. I would consider it a medium sized pack. I think it cost around $180 CDN a few years back. Well worth the investment.

I carry too much gear to list here - mostly small stuff, but it serves as a basic survival / geocaching supply kit and I generally have it with me at all times. Surprisingly, all the gear I carry only weighs in at around 15-20 lbs.

It may be overkill for Geocaching, but I do a lot of back country hiking too with the same pack, so I just use it for pretty much everything and just keep it well stocked for survival situations. I like the fact that items have their own spot and I always know quickly where to find whatever I need out of it. Pretty much everything in the pack is in waterproof containers or bivy sacks too. When I am actually in the back country I carry additional items like a folding shovel, saw, etc.

I live by the Scouting motto ... Be Prepared!

We carry a smallish hiking backpack with:

Two water bottles

Tecnu (for Poison Oak)

a small first aid kit

Duct Tape

Extra logbook paper

Extra Pens

Extra baggies

TP

Hand Sanitizer

washcloths for drying out the inside of wet caches

SWAG

batteries

a couple of snacks

a pair of dry socks or two

small notebook for noting trackables

geotools: magnets, tweezers, paperclips

flashlight

gloves and CITO bags

Gets the job done!

Edited by nymphnsatyr

We are fairly to geocaching too so the equipment is evolving.

We usually go out for at least one or two if we are going - so I just packed one of the kids old school backpacks with:

GPS

iphone

pens, paper

stuff to trade

camera

extra socks

water bottle

old running shoes

empty plastic grocery bags for trashing out... :)

I imagine as we get into more difficult terrain caching that we will need to get some better hiking boots.

We always find a walking stick but leave it behind where we found it.

i carry my hiking back pack which has:

50 ft rope

machete

raincoat

space blanket

first aid kit

compass

binoculars

camera w/extra batteries and memory cards and lens!

whistle

knife

water bottles

poncho (those small disposable types)

book or printout of trail im going on

video camera (small one that shoots hd video)

snacks, candy, chips, sandwich

gloves

flashlight

so about 30lbs worth of stuff!! no wonder im pooped after day of hiking!

So I'm new to this, and so far I've just been using a little soft-sided vinyl cooler to carry my stuff in. It's small, and we picked it up as giveaway swag at a conference or something, so it was free. It works okay for caching on streets, sidewalks and parking lots, but when I get to climbing over rocks, up mountains and so on, it's not so handy.

I figured it'd be worth asking, what do some of you seasoned cachers use for carrying around the tools and various items you like to have at hand when you are out geocaching.

I thought maybe an Army map case, or possibly even a (shiver) fanny-pack. What do you use?

i agree with Natman340, backpacks are great. :grin::D:D:lol:B):unsure:

i carry my hiking back pack which has:

50 ft rope

machete

raincoat

space blanket

first aid kit

compass

binoculars

camera w/extra batteries and memory cards and lens!

whistle

knife

water bottles

poncho (those small disposable types)

book or printout of trail im going on

video camera (small one that shoots hd video)

snacks, candy, chips, sandwich

gloves

flashlight

so about 30lbs worth of stuff!! no wonder im pooped after day of hiking!

machete? you do so not have a machete.

We usually go out for at least one or two if we are going - so I just packed one of the kids old school backpacks with:

GPS

iphone

pens, paper

stuff to trade

camera

extra socks

water bottle

old running shoes

empty plastic grocery bags for trashing out... :D

I imagine as we get into more difficult terrain caching that we will need to get some better hiking boots.

Oooooooooooooh I :lol:B):D:unsure::grin: phone don't those have a Geocaching app.?

GPS

iphone

pens, paper

stuff to trade

camera

extra socks

water bottle

old running shoes

empty plastic grocery bags for trashing out... B)

Oooooooooooooh Iphone don't those have a Geocaching app.?

Welcome fellow Cacher! Welcome to the addiction!

My philosophy has always been to spend the least amount of money and have the most amount of fun. If a free soft pack cooler gets the job done, then you'll have more money to buy gas for your geomobile. You may want to check out a local Army/Navy Surplus store as they have some pretty neat stuff for cheap. Also consignment stores will sometimes have used backpacks. Think about the type of caching you will do the most and select a bag or pack based on those circumstances.

I use a shoulder sling pack for urban caching/short hikes, park and grabs (car), and caching by bicycle. My bag holds water bottle, GPS'r, trade items, geocoins, travel bugs, pens, notepad, camera, multi tool, knife, chewing gum, flashlight, headlamp, batteries, chapstick, hand sanitizer/wet wipes, sunglasses, baseball cap, and bicycle repair tools.

Now, there have been many threads on here about backpacks and what people carry in them. Some people have dumped out the contents of their packs and photographed them. With a little searching you can find these threads and the bevy of information in them. Here's a few to start.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=235342&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=220569&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=217364&hl=

When I think of a fanny pack, I picture tourists wandering around Vegas wearing fanny packs they got free with a coupon book at Circus Circus.

LMAO a british person would envision something so completely different if they see this post :)

won't say it here, but you can google "fanny british slang" B)

Same in New Zealand...

I'm relatively new to geocaching but here is what I put together...

geocachingpack.jpg

- Pack: Pretty small bag that I got at the local Army Surplus store for $12.99

- SWAG: Started this hobby looking for something to do with the kids (5 1/2 year old twins), so SWAG is very important. I keep a supply of items I pick up at the local Target (kids get to pick out the SWAG)

- Lock & Lock: Another SWAG item I tend to drop off are Washington State Gems (petrified wood that looks like rocks), I keep them in a lock & lock so if I run across a small cache in need of repair I can swap my container out for the old one.

- First Aid Kit: Kids and I get scrapped up quite a bit so this $5 kit from Target is well worth the investment.

- Pens & Log Books: Never have too many pens & replacement logs to swap out if needed and to write my own notes (such as what I picked up and dropped off)

- Compass & Flash Light: Just in case I get lost in the woods

- Travel Bugs: I found the coin recently and looking for a nice home for it, also bought my 1st TB (the Orca) which I will place in my 1st hidden Cache in a couple weeks

Need to add:

- Good leatherman/multi-tool

- Gloves

- Film container with trash bags

Edited by jamescam

I'm relatively new to geocaching but here is what I put together...

geocachingpack.jpg

- Pack: Pretty small bag that I got at the local Army Surplus store for $12.99

- SWAG: Started this hobby looking for something to do with the kids (5 1/2 year old twins), so SWAG is very important. I keep a supply of items I pick up at the local Target (kids get to pick out the SWAG)

- Lock & Lock: Another SWAG item I tend to drop off are Washington State Gems (petrified wood that looks like rocks), I keep them in a lock & lock so if I run across a small cache in need of repair I can swap my container out for the old one.

- First Aid Kit: Kids and I get scrapped up quite a bit so this $5 kit from Target is well worth the investment.

- Pens & Log Books: Never have too many pens & replacement logs to swap out if needed and to write my own notes (such as what I picked up and dropped off)

- Compass & Flash Light: Just in case I get lost in the woods

- Travel Bugs: I found the coin recently and looking for a nice home for it, also bought my 1st TB (the Orca) which I will place in my 1st hidden Cache in a couple weeks

Need to add:

- Good leatherman/multi-tool

- Gloves

- Film container with trash bags

I like your compass. Looks like mine. That flashlight is best if attached to something so your hands stay free. Good choice.

My regular caching bag is now a sling bag. Worn like a backpack, it can be slid to the front for access without having to take it off. Has cell phone pouch, bottle holder and two compartments. Mine is the $21 version slingpack at Mountain Equipment Coop - http://www.mec.ca

Sorry, link was playing up, or I was typing dumb, hence the edits!

Edited by popokiiti

Love my Camelbak day pack. It holds a 2L water bladder. I also keep a small first aid kit, extra pair of socks, large black trashbag & rope in case if something happens & I need to bed down for the night, flashlight, multitool, pad & paper, compass, munchies and photo id on a lanyard with a whistle. Also keep a few swag items in case if the kids go with me & want to trade.

My choice of pack is usually dictated by our need for water.

For urban caching, I have a small utilitarian bag. It has a shoulder strap, but is not stylish enough to call a purse. It has a few pockets to keep small items sorted, and has plenty of room for a small camera, GPSr, some swag and even a water bottle.

For day hikes, I use either a small hydration backpack or a regular school backpack with a hydration pocket built in, depending on my need for other gear. Both were purchased before we bagan geocaching.

For the longest time, I was looking for the perfect bag to use at work, hold my computer, day trips, over night traveling, Geocaching, and that it doesn't look like a school backpack or anything that looks a little TOO HIPSTER.

Well, a while ago, I came here to this thread and read up on bags. I found the http://www.Maxpedition.com site. I surfed it for a while and then I saw IT! I saw the one that was for me... The Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger. I also bought a phone holder assessory. It wasn't cheap, but I know that it will be well worth it. I've had it now for a couple of weeks and still don't regret it. I've used it for all my intended purposes and there has been NO PROBLOEM. Another selling point for me was that the smaller version of this bag was used in the Transformers 3 movie... heehehe... nothing like feeling like a secret action hero!