Caching Milestones

When I got started in this, all I wanted to do was find 200 caches a year. I figured that would be a good number to shoot for. The first year I hit 207. The next year yielded about 230. Then I started meeting other cachers and the next thing I know, I am finding 20 or 30 per outing and over 400 a year.

Milestones become what you make of them. Ffor me, it is still reaching 200 a year. After that, it is finding that next 100th cache. Now it is finging the next 100th with one of my best geocaching friends, Imtomcat. It is not about the quality of the cache as much as it is the fun and adventure of reaching the milestone and seeing the name of the cache that was 100, 200...My latest one was a cache named "On the way to Weewahootee." The cache was a nice medium, but the name is hillarious. That name will show up on the milestone list from here on out.

Basically, make it one that will remind you of how much fun the adventure is.

My first.

It was so exciting finding this new "geocaching" thing. When I found my first cache, it was a thrilling moment. The secrecy, the thrill of the chase, etc.

Once I found my first, I knew this was something I could do and enjoy.

Plus, it was in a tree-root-hollow in a park where I'd been walking my puppy for the past 6 months. How cool to discover there was a hidden item there, which was part of a global network of hidden items and thousands of people were placing and finding them! How cool to be a part of it!

For me the milestone was being "in".

The first 100 was a thrill, because I was still so new to geocaching. But I get more enjoyment figuring out a tough hide or a clever challenge than I do by simply reaching a numerical goal. Probably the most exciting accomplishment was finishing both the WA state DeLorme & WA state county challenges in my first 6 months of caching. It'll be hard to top that!

I'm with Knowschad. My first was so exciting and then when I reached my 100th I thought wow, that's a hundred caches. Never thought I'd reach that as fast as I did. Today I was rereading some of my first logs and saw I wrote how addicting I thought this sport could be. And that was only 5 caches into it.

I'm babbling again. I love this sport, addiction, game, passtime, etc, etc, etc!!