Version 3.70 won't power on with lithiums

dopoka

I just upgraded my 400T to software version 3.70 and it will no longer power on with lithium batteries regardless of the battery setting. It just throws up the GARMIN splash screen and then powers off. I had this same problem with both my 60CSx and Colorado before they added support for lithium batteries. My Oregon actually had lithiums in it when I did the upgrade since I use it for climbing in the cold and had been working fine with them all winter.

I know that the lithiums will probably work if I drain them a little, but I hate just wasting expensive battery power by draining them down to where they will work.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks

Have you tried booting 3.7 with NiMH or alkalines?

YES it still works fine with NiMH and Alkalines. The issues is that I regularly use it in temps from -20F to 20F while mountaineering and NiMH and alakalines won't even last an hour in those conditions. The Lithiums worked fine until this upgrade.

I had this same problem with other units before and Garmin said this was because Lithium (FeS2) type batteries are 1.7V and maintain this voltage even under heavy load. Akalines are 1.5V under no load and dip down to 1.2V-1.3V under heavy loads. Garmin said that the higher voltage caused the unit to get an over voltage error during POST (Power On Self Test) and shut the unit down. They eventually fixed this problem and added a Lithium option in the setup.

I just made a quick test.

Duracell Copper Top 1.62 v Exp 2016

Rayovac 1.64 v Exp 2016

Energizer Lithium 1.82 v Exp 2021

60 seconds in a flashlight pulled the Lithiums down to 1.61 v

Try 10 or 15 seconds in a flashlight, and see what happens; then add more time if needed.

My only pair of Lithiums, or I would start out with 10 seconds.

YES it still works fine with NiMH and Alkalines. The issues is that I regularly use it in temps from -20F to 20F while mountaineering and NiMH and alakalines won't even last an hour in those conditions. The Lithiums worked fine until this upgrade.

It is not directly related to your questions but have you seen Ni-Zn Rechargeables?

Unlike NiMHs, these work quite well in freezing temperatures. Read my posts on that thread for more details.

It is not directly related to your questions but have you seen Ni-Zn Rechargeables?

Unlike NiMHs, these work quite well in freezing temperatures. Read my posts on that thread for more details.

from what ive seen the ni-zn batterys are running over the rated voltage for a standard battery i wouldnt risk frying my gps for it

from what ive seen the ni-zn batterys are running over the rated voltage for a standard battery i wouldnt risk frying my gps for it

Have been working with two pair - one in my eTrex Summit HC, one in my Dakota 20. The NiZn cells don't start out any hotter than an off-the-shelf Energizer lithium cell.

Have been working with two pair - one in my eTrex Summit HC, one in my Dakota 20. The NiZn cells don't start out any hotter than an off-the-shelf Energizer lithium cell.

from what i have read the ni-zn will hold 1.8v when freshly charged, just a bit too hot for my likeing

I am using Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries and should to say that I don't need expensive lithium's because Eneloop has fairly good performance in freezing temperatures. Earlier generation NiMH cells had a very poor temperature tolerance and struggle below freezing. The LSD appears to have better cold temperature performance limited testing down to 0 F have found no appreciable drop in capacity.

I am using Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries and should to say that I don't need expensive lithium's because Eneloop has fairly good performance in freezing temperatures. Earlier generation NiMH cells had a very poor temperature tolerance and struggle below freezing. The LSD appears to have better cold temperature performance limited testing down to 0 F have found no appreciable drop in capacity.

What type of life do you get out of the Sanyos? I do many three day climbing trips per year where I need as much as 40 hours of life in total (at temps between -30F to 30F). I have been averaging about 13 hours per set of lithiums so three sets will last a whole trip. Will the rechargeables even come close to this?

Given the 3000mAh and high starting voltage, it's pretty hard to beat the (expensive) disposable lithiums for outright endurance, especially if you're going to be in temperatures like that.

True they are expensive but it's all relative. In the sport of mountaineering one can easily spend $3000-$5000 just to fly half way around the world to get to the starting point for a trip. Not to mention another $4000-$5000 in gear you take with you. I even lug a satellite phone that costs me $100 per week on many adventures (to appease the wife). The GPS is just another valuable tool, so paying $15 for three sets of batteries is not that much in the big picture.