How to find who is watching my hide?

Nathan Wert

I've just hidden my first hide GC263C9. I have two people watching it right now. Is there a way to find out who those two people are?

No, you can't. Way back when I was a newbie, it never occurred to me to even try to find out who the watchers were. I now find it difficult to understand why this question has been asked a million times. Can you help me out with that Nathan?

I've just hidden my first hide GC263C9. I have two people watching it right now. Is there a way to find out who those two people are?
You can't. And Groundspeak has stated that they have no plans to allow that. Privacy issues is the reason they state. What you can do is to post a note to the cache page and in it, request that the watchers identify themselves (probably word it better than that, though :lol: ) but there is nothing requiring them to do so.
If it's a new cache, I would suspect that one of the watchers is the reviewer, waiting to see if anyone posts a log suggesting there may be issues with the placement.
Really!? I've never seen that in my area, but I guess some reviewers might do that. Seems like it'd place a pretty heavy load on their already overloaded inboxes, though.

"privacy reasons" my foot

anyone watching a cache is registered on the site

you are registered, out the window goes your privacy

if it is a privacy issue why make the profile of the members viewable to anyone?

i think is just to hide the identity of any reviewers watching it, which could be easily fixed, the same as any moderators that use the "invisible mode" in the forums

Edited by t4e

And then there is all the people "watching" caches, that you dont know of.

Ever noticed the "Notify me when items on this list are logged" option in bookmarks ? The functionality is the same as a plain watch on the cache, but its not shown anywhere (if its a private bookmark list), and I have the abilty to group my watch'es, even making PQ's on them as well.

I have some private bookmark-lists (DNF, "Solved not found yet", ...) that I have this kind of "watch" on. When solving a mystery its nice to get noticed if the puzzle/solution changes, if some time passes before I get around to find it :)

Ys

Thomas

If it's a new cache, I would suspect that one of the watchers is the reviewer, waiting to see if anyone posts a log suggesting there may be issues with the placement.
Really!? I've never seen that in my area, but I guess some reviewers might do that. Seems like it'd place a pretty heavy load on their already overloaded inboxes, though.

I haven't noticed that in my area either. That could be because I am not quite certain as to how I'd make such a determination in the first place. Can you help me with that?

Thank you.

"9.20. Watchlist Identity

How can I tell who is watching my cache?

For privacy reasons we cannot reveal the names of the watchers of your cache. Sorry.

If you like, post a note on the cache page requesting the watchers reveal themselves. Since they are watching the cache, they will all receive your request by email."

This one has stumped me too Nathan...

If this is a privacy issue, why are owners of PMO caches allowed to see who visits ?

I don't see the difference.

Maybe someone from Groundspeak can stop in and explain what that difference is ?

It should at least be an option for the watchers to allow the owners to know they are watching.

In other words, if I say it is OK, then the owner should be able to see my name as a watcher. If I say NO, then they shouldn't.

There are some caches I watch that, for various reasons, I don't want the owner to know who I am. Generally that applies to owners I don't particularly like.

:)

Could also be people interested in the FTF race. I sometimes put a watch on new puzzles just to see which local puzzler will be the first to crack it.

Nathan,

Your cache meets the listing guidelines and the super cool dude who published the page doesn't anticipate any issues or have the need to add it to my watchlist.

There are quite a few FTF hounds in NH and I suspect several are watching the cache page to see when it will be found.

If you are a premium member you can make the cache available to only premium members. This will also enable an 'audit trail' allowing you to see who has visited the cache page.

Edited by NH Zamboni

Nathan,

Your cache meets the listing guidelines and the super cool dude who published the page doesn't anticipate any issues or add it to my watchlist.

It was a SUPER COOL dude that listed it, that's for sure!! *grin*

I figured there aren't enough caches in Lancaster to begin with, I'd make it available to everyone.

Once we hit the GeoCache Dash and the Girl Scouts get to make a bunch more, I might make some premium caches with those. But for now I just want more caches over here.

Now...there are ten bazillion caches being posted over in the Randolph area, but I rarely head that way.

I'm still waiting on the FTF

if it is a privacy issue why make the profile of the members viewable to anyone?

i think is just to hide the identity of any reviewers watching it, which could be easily fixed, the same as any moderators that use the "invisible mode" in the forums

It IS a privacy reason. It prevents people from using this information to conduct a witch-hunt, when their cache goes missing. People have asked for this information for exactly that reason.

It IS a privacy reason. It prevents people from using this information to conduct a witch-hunt, when their cache goes missing. People have asked for this information for exactly that reason.

what information? there is no more information than that provided by logging a find

and a witch-hunt on watchers, why would one assume that the cache was taken by a watcher and not the last person to log?

on that reasoning there should not be logging allowed either, its a privacy breach too

just total nonsense and paranoia

Edited by t4e

what information? there is no more information than that provided by logging a find

and a witch-hunt on watchers, why would one assume that the cache was taken by a watcher and not the last person to log?

on that reasoning there should not be logging allowed either, its a privacy breach too

just total nonsense and paranoia

But that won't stop people from doing it. One example. And another. There are many more.

So, like I said, it's a privacy issue.

If you set up your cache for premium member only then you will have access to the list of all those who visited your cache page and how often they visit, that's the only option.

I've done that in the past for the 1st few days of a new cache to see who actually was taking a look at new cache, some are notified instantly when a cache is published and you can find out who they are.

Next time you go for a FTF, you know those who are in the race with you... ;-)

I haven't noticed that in my area either. That could be because I am not quite certain as to how I'd make such a determination in the first place. Can you help me with that?

Thank you.

If there are no watchers on your new cache, then you can be pretty sure that the reviewer is not one of them. B)

If you set up your cache for premium member only then you will have access to the list of all those who visited your cache page and how often they visit, that's the only option.

I've done that in the past for the 1st few days of a new cache to see who actually was taking a look at new cache, some are notified instantly when a cache is published and you can find out who they are.

Next time you go for a FTF, you know those who are in the race with you... ;-)

The next time you publish a cache with the Subscriber Only option checked, send me an email with the GC#. I will send you back the full cache details, and my name will not appear on your audit log. An audit log is an interesting tool/toy. But don't give the impression that it will list ALL who have viewed the cache information.

Nathan, look what happens with an innocent question! :D Good luck with your cache.

I completely agree with the privacy issue. There are plenty of threads demonstrating that some cachers and cache owners will jump to negative conclusions without all the facts. That's especially true when they've found their cache has gone missing. There many innocent and positive reasons to watch a cache (it's fun to read the logs for a challenging puzzle or a cache in a beautiful or remote area, for example).

I think it's fine to have the PMOC feature of the audit log BUT to make it fair then the community should know that their name will show up on a log - I don't think this feature is as well-advertised as it could be. I also think the fact that a cache is PMOC should be able to be known from all ways to observe a cache so you know BEFORE you click on it. For example right now when you view caches in Google maps this feature is not identified so often I find out after I have already clicked on a cache that I am now on the audit log, and wish I weren't!

But that won't stop people from doing it. One example. And another. There are many more.

So, like I said, it's a privacy issue.

its unfortunate that people are so narrow minded to think that only those watching their cache can be the "thief"

For example right now when you view caches in Google maps this feature is not identified so often I find out after I have already clicked on a cache that I am now on the audit log, and wish I weren't!

ooh dear, that is what i call "taking it to extremes"

you do realize that even by posting in this forums you leave behind a "trail" of your online existence

t4e, I believe your response helps make my point.

i don't know if it does lol

what i was getting at is that once you post online you leave a trace of yourself, makes no sense to be worried about your name being in that log of PMCO's

maybe i am reading your comment wrong, if i do, pardon me its been a long week already :D;)

I don't see it as being a privacy issue. If it was stated in the site user agreement that the list of cache watchers was viewable then it would cover the privacy issue. Just like a business has to state they have video cameras...

This agreement would solve two problems if these are problems to begin with.

1. If someone on the list is in fact stealing the caches then they would not want to be on the cache watchers list to begin with.

2. Users will know they can be seen when watching a cache and have the option whether to watch it or not.

I don't see it as being a privacy issue. If it was stated in the site user agreement that the list of cache watchers was viewable then it would cover the privacy issue. Just like a business has to state they have video cameras...

This agreement would solve two problems if these are problems to begin with.

1. If someone on the list is in fact stealing the caches then they would not want to be on the cache watchers list to begin with.

2. Users will know they can be seen when watching a cache and have the option whether to watch it or not.

You say it's not a privacy issue, then proceed to list changes that (in your opinion) would keep if from being a privacy issue. ;)