Looking to barrow any GPS Unit 4 a month or 2...

Looking to barrow any GPS Unit for a month or 2. I will be shipping out to Navy basic training on July 15th, 2010 and would like to get a few of the Caches around Chino, CA. LOL, I've done ok with out but there are just a few that I can't find!!

Thank you for looking and responding back!! :laughing:

As a former Army Drill Instructor I doubt you will have time to go geocaching while at basic. Most likely you will not even be allowed to have the gps with you, it would have to be locked in your luggage with other personal items not deemed to be of use during basic. Even if you could have it with you barracks such as those used in training locations are not the most secure and you would be placing the borrow item at risk for being stolen. Trust me you need to concentrate on the mission at hand, that is one of turning from being a civilian into that of being a Sailor. Not an easy task. There will plenty of time for caching once you finish your training and get to your first duty assignment.

And thanks for stepping up to the plate to serve your nation. Hope your career is as fulfilling has mine has been.

SgtSue is right on the mark. While at basic, you need to stay focused and on your toes. Listen to your instructors, do what they say, work your tail off and most importantly, SURVIVE. You'll have very little time to think about hobbies and "fun time ' but don't worry, it's well worth it. I wouldn't trade the time I spent in the military for anything. As pointed out, you'll have plenty of time for caching after basic and you'll get to do it while seeing the world.

As a former Army Drill Instructor I doubt you will have time to go geocaching while at basic. Most likely you will not even be allowed to have the gps with you, it would have to be locked in your luggage with other personal items not deemed to be of use during basic. Even if you could have it with you barracks such as those used in training locations are not the most secure and you would be placing the borrow item at risk for being stolen. Trust me you need to concentrate on the mission at hand, that is one of turning from being a civilian into that of being a Sailor. Not an easy task. There will plenty of time for caching once you finish your training and get to your first duty assignment.

And thanks for stepping up to the plate to serve your nation. Hope your career is as fulfilling has mine has been.

SgtSue, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm going to tell you that nowadays you can pretty much bring what ever the hell you want with you. I went through basic fifteen years ago at Benning and it was as you mentioned. These days though I hear the stories from our new guys that we get in and it sounds to me more like Spring Break in Cabo to me than Basic Training. It's a sad, sad road that Basic Training has gone down. I don't know what Navy Basic is like, but she may just be able to do some caching and more while at Club Navy.

Take care and thank you for your service,

Travis

Edited by CACHE KRAWLER

SgtSue, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm going to tell you that nowadays you can pretty much bring what ever the hell you want with you. I went through basic fifteen years ago at Benning and it was as you mentioned. These days though I hear the stories from our new guys that we get in and it sounds to me more like Spring Break in Cabo to me than Basic Training. It's a sad, sad road that Basic Training has gone down. I don't know what Navy Basic is like, but she may just be able to do some caching and more while at Club Navy.

Take care and thank you for your service,

Travis

Are you calling me old? B)

We thought the same thing when they switched from the 5 event PT test to the 3 event APFT and again when we saw trainees running around with running shoes instead of boots. Then when they went to a APFT uniform we thought the world had come to an end. - Basic for each of the services changes. What remains the same is a civilian becomes a service member. They learn a new language, way to dress, and behave. Dispite the doubts of us old Soldiers your generation of Soldiers are doing just fine, the new generation will serve us well also.

With that being said, barracks (especially in a training environment) still remain a place where personal gear grows legs and walks off and because of that "high dollar" items are often mandated to being locked in the trainee's luggage until graduation. wildfir399 you will have plenty to keep yourself occupied without geocaching. But you will also have some of the most awsome chances to geocache once you get to your first duty station and start your travels.

live to serve

WoW!! ;) Thank you for the info. However I was not planing on taking the GPS to Boot with me. They would not let me keep it there. I do not leave tell July 12-15th and wanted to get some in before I go. Then when I graduated and have a little extra $$ I will buy one, but I most likely will not see So. Cali for some time. :D I can't wait to go I'm very excited!! B)

Not much I can do to help at the moment. The only "extra" I have at the moment, I am still evaluating (and needs a good firmware update).

After boot camp, you will likely be in school all day, then on various watches/duties all evening and weekends, and maybe a little sleep here and there (if you are lucky). Depending on where you are headed, there are likely to be geocachers stationed there as well.

Good Luck to ya!

AGC - Retired.