Has anyone else stumbled on Mary Jane?

Yes I did a small stash and papers in a can sitting on top of the cache container.

That's what I find so odd! I found a stash, complete with visine, directly on top of a cache as well. How do you figure that happened?

They were just being considerate. Lol

But no, I've never stumbled on anything like that.

Greetings from the Emerald Triangle, the home of " Humboldt Homegrown " and such. Major issues around these parts. Some of us do not venture too far into the hinterlands and if we do extreme caution is exercised. Many large commercial grows throughout the region. Even the smaller Mom and Pop grows are dangerous due to dogs and booby traps. At certain times of the year it is wisest to only go after lame old LPC's and Goober caches in guardrails. ( beats the heck out of potential consequences )

Showed up at a cache location where we couldn't find the dang thing. It appeared that the area had been recently maintained (mud and sawdust everywhere). A few minutes later, a fella walks over from across the street and says "you looking for this?". He has the cache container in his hands!

He told us that there had been a big ol' stump (what we were looking for) in that exact location no earlier that that morning but some people had come along and removed it. He said the cache container was left just off to the side and that he'd taken it home.

We thanked him and he said that there was a "Little something" left in the cache and it smelled "Like pretty good stuff". We looked inside as he was waking back to his house across the street and noticed a big ol' piece of MJ in a baggie inside the cache container.

Instead of taking the cache home and asking the owner where to send it (our orignal plan), we just left it under a nearby bush and let the CO know of the location (CO still hadn't picked it up as of a few weeks ago and some people have still been logging it).

Not sure if the contents are still there... : )

Growing season has begun here. My mom and I were walking back from a cache today (that we didn't find). We had to talk through this disc golf course and I happened to glance down and we were standing in a decent sized field of pot sprouts. I took a couple pictures for memory's sake and we looked back and saw we had been walking through the pot for some time. Going to be interesting to see how this pans out with all the disc golf traffic.

Growing season has begun here. My mom and I were walking back from a cache today (that we didn't find). We had to talk through this disc golf course and I happened to glance down and we were standing in a decent sized field of pot sprouts. I took a couple pictures for memory's sake and we looked back and saw we had been walking through the pot for some time. Going to be interesting to see how this pans out with all the disc golf traffic.

You could go back with a bottle of RoundUP.

You'd have to use one of those big old jugs of RoundUp for this this situation. I had a good laugh about the fact that we were standing smack in the middle of a pot field. I ended up reporting it to the police in that community and explained where it was, how I happened upon it etc. The plants will get tall at some point and I would hate to see the disc golf course shut down up there completely because someone decided to plant their pot in the middle of it. Or worse yet have unknowing cachers walking right through it looking suspicious already only to end up busted by the cops.

You'd have to use one of those big old jugs of RoundUp for this this situation. I had a good laugh about the fact that we were standing smack in the middle of a pot field. I ended up reporting it to the police in that community and explained where it was, how I happened upon it etc. The plants will get tall at some point and I would hate to see the disc golf course shut down up there completely because someone decided to plant their pot in the middle of it. Or worse yet have unknowing cachers walking right through it looking suspicious already only to end up busted by the cops.

This is what scares me. I don't know what pot looks like. I am afraid of wandering into someplace where I shouldn't be--maybe one the cops are watching. Even worse for those cachers who carry firearms for self-defense. Here you are, legal as can be, looking around and trying to make sure you aren't watched by muggles....carrying a firearm (concealed of course)....maybe looking suspicious to people who don't know about GC.

I thought about getting a t-shirt and ironing on the word "geocacher" on the back, but then the muggles might be tipped off.

Here in FL, who knows what a person can find...? :)

Yes I did a small stash and papers in a can sitting on top of the cache container.

That's what I find so odd! I found a stash, complete with visine, directly on top of a cache as well. How do you figure that happened?

And we wonder why the police ask us if we're doing some kind of drug trade...

This is what scares me. I don't know what pot looks like. I am afraid of wandering into someplace where I shouldn't be--maybe one the cops are watching. Even worse for those cachers who carry firearms for self-defense. Here you are, legal as can be, looking around and trying to make sure you aren't watched by muggles....carrying a firearm (concealed of course)....maybe looking suspicious to people who don't know about GC.

I thought about getting a t-shirt and ironing on the word "geocacher" on the back, but then the muggles might be tipped off.

Here in FL, who knows what a person can find...? :rolleyes:

I'm way more worried about stumbling across the owners of plants or worse yet owners of one of the meth labs that are out in the woods here than the police. I can offer a reasonable explanation for why I'm somewhere to the police but chances are the owners are not going to care about why I'm out anywhere.

Anyhow, end story with my pot plantation is that the police are going to be looking into it. They asked for my coordinates for the cache I was going after as I explained to them that if you follow the coordinates from the road directly to the cache you walk through it. I figured chances are they aren't going to muggle anything. Had I been thinking I would have made a waypoint of the actual planting area.

And on the plus side the community police will probably not question cachers who look suspicious as they know something is back there now which given the situation is a good thing too.

Un-fun side is that I never found this cache last weekend (got sick of being beaned by disc golfer's frisbees) and will have to go back there at some point.

haha, I am a mew geocacher, and in searching for one of my first geocaches I found about 2 grams of pot on the ground walking back home. Was on the pavement next to a school... I do not smoke pot myself, so I gave it a friend. Found in the New Jersey Seaside heights area. :rolleyes:

I just had to ask because it has happened to me twice now while out geocaching that I've stumbled on a "stash" near a cache. Has anyone else had the same experience?! :mad:

I found a partially smoked joint -- and two fresh tobacco cigarettes -- in a cache this afternoon. Talk about your geo-trache. :(