What makes a good Cache?

What makes a good cache?

I'm looking at placing my first cache and want to make it a good one!

(im thinking traditional size so items can go in it)

What do you think makes a good cache?

What would make your quote, unquote "Dream Cache"?

Im looking for ideas on what to do :laughing: (I live in a rural countryside area in a small village, but not far from a few towns and a major motorway junction to give an idea of location)

We haven't been geocaching long, but our most memorable caches are the ones we have some trouble finding, but when we DO find it we laugh and say, "Now how clever was that one?!" I'm planning a trip into a hardware store soon just to peruse the potential cache containers....anything that can be made waterproof is a potential hide!

I don't think there is any secret formula for hiding a successful cache. Location is important, but a lame cache can be hidden in the best of locations. A great container will get a cachers attention, but could be hidden in a place nobody wants to visit. My all time favorite cache is a plain, unadorned ammo can. But I know of a micro that is nearly as good. The very best advice is to hide a cache that you would enjoy finding. If you think it is fun someone else will to. Just try to do the best job you can. If you compromise it will show.

All of the criteria is important.

My 'dream' cache would be a cache at a specific interesting location about 4-5 miles in along a nice hiking trail with some running water along it. The trail would not have more than 1 cache per mile of trail. The cache would most likely be a 30 caliber or larger ammo can with a large logbook and plenty of swag. Yeah, something like that.

Here's a piece of my profile.

The kinds of caches I like:

A place with a good view, an interesting feature or great scenery

A hide at a place with interesting history

A reasonable hike on a little known trail

An unusual hide location

Cool camo or unusual container

A series of hides with a good theme

(This was based on a similar list that Markwell had some years ago)

Still a relative novice, but my memorable caches have either been puzzle caches that made me flex the brain synapses or have been in locations that inspired me to pull out my camera and snap a pic. Like it's already been said, if you find it interesting, those hunting may as well.

heres one that delivers in many areas.

Ssptv 8pf 1 Lpa44 k 0536 y4 8219Pk (GC20A37) :P:laughing::)

What kinds of caches do you enjoy the most? What characteristics do they share? In what way do they differ from the caches you enjoy less?

I enjoy caches with 4-star camouflage, caches that feature public art, and puzzle caches with great "Aha!" moments. Others prefer caches with 5-star terrain (4x4, scuba, rock climbing, kayaking, etc.), or caches with trade items that are easy to find with their kids, or something else entirely. You won't be able to please everyone, but that's okay. What is important is that you hide a cache that you think is enjoyable, and worth maintaining.

I like caches hidden in plain sight. Camoed to blend in, unique design so it looks like it belongs, and right in plain sight.

Anyone can hide a cache under a pile of rocks, or hanging from a tree limb, or under a pile of sticks, but can you hide one on a door or on the ground? Or how about on a bridge beam? All 3 are there, right in plain sight, you just have to recognize them. Those are the ones I like. :lol:

I like caches hidden in plain sight. Camoed to blend in, unique design so it looks like it belongs, and right in plain sight.

Anyone can hide a cache under a pile of rocks, or hanging from a tree limb, or under a pile of sticks, but can you hide one on a door or on the ground? Or how about on a bridge beam? All 3 are there, right in plain sight, you just have to recognize them. Those are the ones I like. B)

i've seen one thats a piece of wrought iron and is slightly longer than the rest. never find it if you weren't looking for it :)

#1 Location

#2 Location

#3 Location

#4 Location

#5 A container that will keep the contents dry.

When I say location, think of f the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason people would want to go there is for the cache then it's not a good location.

Edited by briansnat

I'll disagree slightly with Brian on this one. Recently some of our new rails-> trails and riverside trails have become popular cache placement zones. I might go on them for a bike ride, but will certainly ride them more often if there are caches to find there.

My list would be:

1. location

2. location

3. location

4. dry secure container and log

5. interesting/unusual/obscure (local) history lesson

5. other nearby caches (unless #1 is so outstanding that it can stand solely on its own)

I don't care about swag, nor trackables much. The best compliment you can get is "thanks for bringing me to this beautiful/unique/neat location. I had no idea this was here."

Edited by wimseyguy

What was so awesome about the location of the first cache?

Just wondering why everyone says "location, location, location".

It seems to me that the idea of "location" is an afterthought. The idea of "here are the coordinates, go find it" was the original premise for geocaching.

Yes it was. But that was when the concept of any non-military GPS usage was brand new. This, like many other things in the past 10 years has evolved.

The Original Stash was also buried and contained food. Do you think that those two aspects should have remained part of geocaching too?

Edited by wimseyguy

Yes it was. But that was when the concept of any non-military GPS usage was brand new. This, like many other things in the past 10 years has evolved.

The Original Stash was also buried and contained food. Do you think that those two aspects should have remained part of geocaching too?

Why do people always attempt to derail a valid comment by adding other comparisons?

No, burying shouldn't have stayed.

No, leaving food shouldn't have been maintained.

BUT!!!

The original cache was no ABOUT burying things OR about hiding food.

The original stashe was about hiding SOMETHING and finding it with GPS.

The "something" wasn't even important other than having a piece of paper to prove you found it.

My dream cache would be kid friendly. Which means large enough for some cool swag. Actually I'd love to do a mega cache that is 55 gallon drum or larger. We found on called Garage Sale that was large enough to hold a coffee maker and a few other larger items, plus 5 or 6 large tins filled with swag with room left over More tins or large items. (One tin held a large bag of plastic frogs, bugs and snakes. I'd guess there were at least 100 of them. Another held an assortment of small cars, kids meal toys, and other kid related items. A third had mostly things that an adult might find interesting. Another had a mixture of things.) The only problem with that one was that the larger container needed to be cleaned out. (the tins were in it because the actual container wasn’t protected from the elements and small animals So something that is kept clean.

A really cool container would be great too. One that has some wow factor when you find it. I saw some ammo can pics where they had been gussied up and I think that would just add to the fun. Also if you have to room staging the cache would be great. Another cache we did was called DB Mini Cooper. It had a fun story and when you got there the place was staged enough to add to the fun.

A great location would be awesome, but lets face it not everywhere has one. So in lieu of that a good story or a theme. Something that ties together. One in not too far from us that I plan to do someday has a pirate theme, complete with a treasure map that you can download. Another is a night cache where you follow the stars thru the forest to find the cache. Both sound interesting in the sea of micros and lamp post caches that litter our area.

Trash cleaned out and trackable items that are missing marked as such so that people aren't lured to a cache hoping to find something that hasn't been there for months or even years. It would also be nice if your cache is being raided and TB’s and coins are missing on a regular basis if people would just come out and admit that so that others wouldn’t leave them in it. Yes I might go out of my way a bit to try and get a bug or coin, but I will do the same for something that sounds interesting.

Fair Rating. There are people who enjoy a 5 star challenge and those who don't. For me I enjoy a challenge to a point. But I want to be prepared to tackle it before It’s right there in front of me. I see no problem putting a cache at the top of a mountain or the bottom of a lake as long as I know before I get there that I’m going to have to climb or swim. As for evil hides, Cleaver is great but at this time in my life I don’t want to search for an hour and not find the cache. Maybe once my toddler is old enough to enjoy the challenge and I have more time on my hands I might feel differently. I don’t want to get to a place and find out the challenge is to figure out which rock or film canister holds the log either. Or to search for some fake blades of grass, a pine cone amid 100’s, a fake bug in briars. I want a hint that if I need it will at least narrow down my search enough to make it more likely that I will find it than not. So add no PIA hints. If you don’t want to give a hint then don’t. Things like “You don’t need one” or “I don’t give hints” or something that no one seems to be able to figure out what it meant even after they find the cache. If I decide I need to use the hint I want a little help or at that point maybe even a lot. I spent a lot of time on what was supposed to be a very easy cache in a park and ended up with a lot of scratches because the clue led me to believe that I had to deeper into the thicket to find it. It turned out that it wasn’t really in what I would call the thicket and it was placed in a depression and buried under the pine straw. I can think of a dozen clues that would have saved me a lot of trouble. I choose that one because I was taking my son and wanted an easy find in a kid friendly area and I hated to disappoint him. If I want to do a harder rated cache I won’t take him with me.

Those are some of the things that would make a dream cache for me. I’m hoping to try to achieve as many as possible with each of my caches when I start to place them. Good luck.

You already have an advantage in that Weston is a great location, let me know when your cache is up and running and we will come and find it :P

For me a good cache :

- Involves a fairly good walk (I don’t want to get out of the car, turn on the GPS and find that I’m 100 feet away already)

- Takes me to a lovely or interesting or photogenic or fun place, that both adults and kids will enjoy

- Has a bit of a challenge to it (maybe a puzzle of some kind or an initial waypoint to pick up ongoing co-ordinates – nothing too difficult as my brain starts to fry :lol:)

- Culminates in a reasonably sized container (we don’t tend to look for anything smaller than a “small” and prefer “regulars”) which is fun to find

- Has good swag inside for the kiddies to pick from

- Isn’t in an area with tons of litter or doggy poop

- Has an interesting write up page on geocaching.com that tells me a little about the area, preferably with photos

- Round trip from car to cache and back ideally an hour or so, or more

- And the cache is well maintained – checked regularly to make sure it hasn’t moved, got damp etc – and the swag topped up if necessary

I hope that helps - have fun!

Oh - and another lesson I learned from my first cache hide which sadly got muggled within its first month - it isn't enough to ensure that the cache location itself won't be accidentally discovered/noticed. You also need to consider what any muggles hanging around (especially teens) will think about seeing people disappearing into woodland and rustling about. So choose a location that people can approach discretely.

We are hoping to place our second one tomorrow, I have the location scouted, just need to fill the cache container and get it out there.

Sarah

Edited by The Chaos Crew