GPS to Computer cables

MT1344

I bought the Garmin connector cable, but only realized when I got home that it was a connector to a serial port, something that my computer doesn't have. Now I see Garmin also sells the adaptor for USB ports for an extra $60. Do I need the Garmin cable or can I get away with a generic USB to serial adaptor?

Thanks

cant see why you could not just purchase a USB-RS232 convertor. This way it acts as a serial port on your computer and then you can plug the garmin cable you already purchased into it and communicate with your computer.

I am sure you can pick one up heaps cheaper than $60 if you check on ebay

find an old usb plug cut and atatch the wires to chang from serial to usb. I have the scematic and wire color code charts if you need them.

Yes, I'd like to see the schematic of that contraption. USB to serial (RS232) is a bit more than just rearranging the wires, so I'm really excited to see your solution.

GermanSailor

find an old usb plug cut and atatch the wires to chang from serial to usb. I have the scematic and wire color code charts if you need them.

i would like to see the schematic for doing this. can you please post a link or send me a message with the info

Yes, I'd like to see the schematic of that contraption. USB to serial (RS232) is a bit more than just rearranging the wires, so I'm really excited to see your solution.

GermanSailor

Not only that, but you had best be good at working with fine gauge wires and shielding.

25098_109193835779130_100000655418373_120152_8373195_n.jpg

25098_109193832445797_100000655418373_120151_1842233_n.jpg

This has worked for me. It is a little bit of a pain in the... But i like to tinker with little projects. If it can help people out great. Part of my job is low and high voltage AC/DC and automated controls for touchless carwashes.

Edited by Titus1919

I have the same issue as you, in that I have an older GPSr and a newer computer. If you don't want to wait for shipping, and depending on where you are, I have seen the serial to USB cables at The Source for about $20

If it is a desktop PC - serial cards go for around $15 and you won't have to try and configure the adapter cable.

I bought the Garmin connector cable, but only realized when I got home that it was a connector to a serial port, something that my computer doesn't have. Now I see Garmin also sells the adaptor for USB ports for an extra $60. Do I need the Garmin cable or can I get away with a generic USB to serial adaptor?

Thanks

my laptop is the same way.. no serial..... the generic worked fine for the etrex legend i had =)