Question about Garmin GPSMap 60CSX Compatibility

I currently have a pristine Extrex Legend HCX with a 2GB City Navigator USA and Canada NT Card in it. I am wanting to upgrade to a GPSMap 60CSX and I am curious if the map card is compatible? Will I have a problem with locking or unlocking switching from one to the other or should I sell my Legend HCX with the map and buy a new map?

Thanks

Chris Hibbert

A pre-programmed map card will be able to swap without any problems.

Why the change? A 60csx is not really much different.

Sorry for the slow response. I am wanting to change because I will also be using the gps on a motorcycle and I feel that the 60csx is better suited for use with the left hand while on the go. There's really no reason other than that. I know they will have the same reception and routing ability - I have just read that the 60csx is a motorcycle favorite without jumping to a Nuvi or Zumo.

A pre-programmed map card will be able to swap without any problems.

Why the change? A 60csx is not really much different.

Sorry for the slow response. I am wanting to change because I will also be using the gps on a motorcycle and I feel that the 60csx is better suited for use with the left hand while on the go. There's really no reason other than that. I know they will have the same reception and routing ability - I have just read that the 60csx is a motorcycle favorite without jumping to a Nuvi or Zumo.

Still - the 60CSx is really not much of a change from a Etrex Legend HCX. Yes, the 60 is (was?) a favourite on bikes, but the Legend is likely a very close match. And I think the consensus in this forum is that you'd be wasting your money to get something so similar to what you already have.

I am the owner of both the devices, I have a 60csx and 2 legend HCX's that my daughters use. Of the two devices, I prefer the 60csx in the way it feels in my hand. In comparison to functions, they both do virtually the same thing except for the electronic compass and the altimeter. I personally would not upgrade to the csx just for those two features.

I will agree that the cradle for the CSX is a lot better and more sturdy than the back clip for the Legends but I would not upgrade for that either. If I were to upgrade for just the routing capability, I would look at the Nuvi's. They would have a bigger screen and also be touch controlled and possibly a lot cheaper than a 60csx. I do not know how water resistant those units are but if that's the concern then I would stay with the legend.

This is just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love my CSX and like my legends but I wouldn't upgrade to something that is already very similar in their functions.

I appreciate all the responses. I understand completely what you are talking about. I have considered a Nuvi but only a 500 or 550 as I believe they are the only two which are waterproof. I am thinking I will likely go with the Nuvi 500 and then keep my Legend. Thanks again.

Chris