Convert Nad 83 to WGS84??

Kealia

Ok guys, I jsut started Geocaching 3 weeks ago and thought that I'd try to get a few neighbors interested by visting a few BMs in the area.

I poked around the site and FAQs but couldn't find a way to convert the coords to WGS84; is it possible? I'm using an old Magellen 2000 (I think it's so old it was HIS!) and it doesn't have the datum as an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

As previously note for all but the most precise applications NAD 83 and WGS 84 are identical. There is a Federal Register Notice to that effect.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/FedRegister/FRdoc95-19408.pdf

In reality, NAD 83 and WGS 84, actually WGS 84 is more appropriately referenced as WGS 84 (G1150) are different by approximately 1 m in both the horizontal (latitude and longitude) and ellipsoid height components.

Anyone who want to more fully understand the relationship of coordinate systems should read the series of 4 articels by Snay and Soler under "Coordinate Systems" on the NGS CORS site --http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/CORS/information4

Thanks 2oldfarts! I've got a friend in AZ that I'm trying to get hooked on the sport, too!

Thanks for the additional info DaveD.

I'm going to play aroudn with UTM as well so I can get comfortable using all coord systems.

As it is I have to convert the coords on the caches to go into my Magellan as Deg MM.SS. so a little flexibility in what I can use shoudl be a good thing!

I appreciate the responses.

quote:
Originally posted by seventhings:

One meter difference between NAD83 and WGS84 data is consistent with my experience using Garmin Vista.

Quite frankly how the hell can a garmin Vista tell the difference is 1 metre between anything. Geez the URE in space is more than 1 metre an some try an convince themselves that handhelds have integrity of 1 metre, come on.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif