Can someone translate this?

Seth!

Okay, I need some help here. This is the info in question:

quote:

THE STATION IS LOCATED ON THE S SIDE OF THE INLET ON A SANDY POINT ABOUT 1 MILE W OF CHURCH LIGHT. THERE IS A SMALL BIGHT JUST E OF THE STATION. IT IS 16 FEET OUTSIDE OF HIGH-WATER LINE AND COVERS ABOUT 3 FEET AT HIGH WATER. IT PROJECTS 3 INCHES ABOVE THE SURFACE.

SURFACE, UNDERGROUND, AND REFERENCE MARKS NO.1 AND NO.2 ARE STANDARD BRONZE DISKS SET IN CONCRETE, AS DESCRIBED IN NOTES 1A, 7A, AND 11A.

REFERENCE MARK NO.1 IS SET W OF THE STATION ABOUT 18 FEET OUTSIDE OF THE HIGH-WATER LINE. IT PROJECTS ABOUT 3 INCHES ABOVE THE LEVEL

BEACH.

MARK NO.2 IS SET INSHORE FROM THE STATION ABOUT 8 FEET BACK OF THE HIGH-WATER LINE. IT PROJECTS ABOUT 3 INCHES ABOVE THE SURFACE.

So it sounds like we have three different things here: Reference Marks 1 and 2--which are bronze disks--and "the station". What is the station? I thought that the bronze disk WAS the station.

Also, is there any way to know which disk is #1 and which is #2--other than very accurate coordinates?

- Seth!

Sounds as if "the Station" has two Azimuths assigned to it. Two pointers, if you will, that each point to the main marker, possibly a triangulation disk.

The Azimuth markers are normally assigned numbers as ID, marks # 1 and # 2, and they have arrows pointing to the general direction of the main "station".

It's a little confusing at 1st... Go to the benchmark photo section and check out the pics posted there. You'll find a world of information in the photos alone.

icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Sounds as if "the Station" has two Azimuths assigned to it. Two pointers, if you will, that each point to the main marker, possibly a triangulation disk.

The Azimuth markers are normally assigned numbers as ID, marks # 1 and # 2, and they have arrows pointing to the general direction of the main "station".

It's a little confusing at 1st... Go to the benchmark photo section and check out the pics posted there. You'll find a world of information in the photos alone.

icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Here is how the station is descibed:

quote:
IT IS 16 FEET OUTSIDE OF HIGH-WATER LINE AND COVERS ABOUT 3 FEET AT HIGH WATER. IT PROJECTS 3 INCHES ABOVE THE SURFACE. SURFACE, UNDERGROUND, AND REFERENCE MARKS NO.1 AND NO.2 ARE STANDARD BRONZE DISKS SET IN CONCRETE...

Can anyone make sense of those first two sentences? "outside of high-water line"? Does that mean at high-tide, the station is 16 feet away from the shore, in the water? Or 16 feet from the water's edge? Or something else? How about "covers about 3 feet at high water"? I can't even guess what that means.

- Seth!

I agree with Dawgies.

Wading through the poor description, I would guess that the benchmark is in a tidal area, being outside the high water mark (most of us live inside coastal high-water marks; the U.S. is a bit larger when it's low tide on both coasts icon_razz.gif). The benchmark is covered by 3 feet of water at mean high tide, so it's 3 feet (minus 3 inches) lower than the high water mark and 16 feet offshore from it.

Also, from the description of Ref. Mark #2, "inshore ... and back of high water line" is apparently the opposite side of the high water line from "outside of the high water line".

If monuments were found lying on the beach, no doubt the main station and RM 1 are long gone.

I agree with Dawgies.

Wading through the poor description, I would guess that the benchmark is in a tidal area, being outside the high water mark (most of us live inside coastal high-water marks; the U.S. is a bit larger when it's low tide on both coasts icon_razz.gif). The benchmark is covered by 3 feet of water at mean high tide, so it's 3 feet (minus 3 inches) lower than the high water mark and 16 feet offshore from it.

Also, from the description of Ref. Mark #2, "inshore ... and back of high water line" is apparently the opposite side of the high water line from "outside of the high water line".

If monuments were found lying on the beach, no doubt the main station and RM 1 are long gone.