1st multi cache

i'm wanting to place my first multi cache and need a little help with uderstanding the difference between it and a traditional. such as, is the last stage (the physical container) have to follow the 525ft rule or is that the first stage? can someone give me the link to a past thread that would help explain all of this to me? thanks so much!

Multis are great and a fantastic twist on the traditional cache. They usually take more effort on the part of the cacher, however, and the "average" (in quotes-don't flame me for stating the obvious) cacher does not want to take the extra effort for 1 smiley.

If you want any volume of finders, if at all possible I would recommend making the stages separate caches. You can make the final a "bonus" cache.

I hate that multis are so disrespected. I have a fun one that is 7 stages, but only a handful of people are even willing to try it. Why? The numbers game... Why spend all day looking for this tough multi when you could get 20 close by lampskirts.

Don't mean to open Pandora's box, but we keep it here close by to open from time to time.

however, and the "average" (in quotes-don't flame me for stating the obvious) cacher does not want to take the extra effort for 1 smiley.

If you want any volume of finders, if at all possible I would recommend making the stages separate caches. You can make the final a "bonus" cache.

The numbers game... Why spend all day looking for this tough multi when you could get 20 close by lampskirts.

Amen, brother! (Different strokes for different folks.)

My understanding of the guidelines is that ALL stages of a multi MUST be more than .1 miles from another cache, however I do not believe the distance between the stages matters.

'

That seems contradictory. You are mostly correct. All physical stages must be 528' apart.

Guidelines:

Multi-Caches

There are many variations to multi-stage caches. The most common is that in which the first container or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location. Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache position. Please provide the coordinates of all stages of the multi-cache by using the "Additional Waypoints" feature. The posted coordinates are for the first stage. If you don't want the coordinates for the rest of the stages displayed, be sure to mark them as "hidden." Doing this will hide the coordinates from view by anyone except the owner and website volunteers.

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

Edited by Knight2000
My understanding of the guidelines is that ALL stages of a multi MUST be more than .1 miles from another cache, however I do not believe the distance between the stages matters.

That seems contradictory. You are mostly correct. All physical stages must be 528' apart.

The part about PHYSICAL is correct. I did a multi recently that has you drive to places and answer a question. I marked them as "Question to Answer" and not "Waypoint" and they do not invoke the 528 rule.

That is partially correct. I the multi consists of a "virtual" stage (for example you get numbers off an existing sign to obtain coordinates of the next location) that stage does not need to conform to the .1 mile rule.

If there is a container or object placed by the cache owner then it does need to conform to the .1 mile rule.

Distance between stages within a multi are not subject to the rule. You could conceivably have each stage 10 feet apart of you want

All physical stages must be 528' apart.

Almost true. All physical stages that you palce must be 528' apart. If a physical stage is pre-existing (a plaque that you need numbers off of for example), that stage is exempt from the 528' rule.

ETA: Sorry for the redundancy. At the time I was writing this up the quoted passage was the last one listed.

Edited by DarkZen and Beautiful

All of my multi-caches use pre-existing objects as waypoints, so the only object with a proximity circle is the cache itself. This is mainly to reduce the maintenance I have to do, but it has the added benefit of leaving more space for other caches. I enjoy tag-hunting multis from time to time, but sometimes it's disappointing when a multi like that takes up a large area that could be used for other caches.