Neat cache logs

So, after all the discussions we've been having about short/disappointing/poor cache logging, especially from newbies, I was hugely tickled to receive some fun logs (from the same brand new cachers) to two of my caches. I just had to share. Informative, funny, and with a picture each. :) Made my day, to share in their new-found excitement for caching.

First log:

OH MAN!

We did it!! This was our first-ever cache-find!!

Yesterday we heard about Geocaching, and spent all of last night researching, plotting, planning, turning our iPhones into GPS-devices, downloading apps, and getting fun stuff gathered to leave in any containers we could find today, and then bright and early first thing this morning we headed out...

We were so excited, and shocked(!), that this Geocache was only two blocks from our apartment, and we thought it would be the perfect initiation to the sport. We almost-ran all the way to the park the cache is in and then in a fit of giggles poked around until we found it. We couldn't have had a better time, thank you to everyone who makes this fun stuff possible!

We left as much small xbox swag as we could safely fit into the cache for others and took a small army man toy for our souvenir - we're going to start a shelf of everything we collect :D We had so much fun that our baby-plans of just finding one cache on our first outing were thrown out the window and we immediately took off in search of the next closest...

This was a great cache because it's straightforward but tricky, and because it showed two dummies who live within a minute walk that there was a park right by them that they didn't know about :sad:

Thanks again!!

d8417eef-e2e9-4373-ad62-290811835bb7.jpg

Second log:

YAY!

Our second find ever, and we had a blast -- loved the hiding spot :huh:

My husband and I left as much small-sized xbox swag as we could fit in the cache, and I took one of the coins (pink!) as my souvenir.

We're so excited to have found such a fun hobby with such a great community of people, thank you to all ye cachers!

The clue on this one really helped, (maybe since our iPhones are not 100% the best GPS devices,) we were going in circles for a long time until we just gave up on the screen and got down on our hands and knees and found it -- much more fun that way... duh.

The park was quite muddy for us in some specific places, nothing bad, but wear old shoes or ones you can wash easily... or perfect a flying mud-avoidance leap before you head out.

Thanks again, and job well done hiders!

cd4f0052-4026-47b8-afcb-12f9b7ca49e5.jpg

Absolutely! :D I'm not complaining about my other logs, because for the most part they're good as well. These were just longer and full of such newbie energy, they made me laugh. :sad: It's nice to know when you are contributing to someone else's enjoyment in life. :)

Somewhere along the line, when the Monday Musketeers go out, I try to leave at least one "Tale of Adventure" of some kind. The other Musketeers may log "Quick PnG" or "Easy Find" but I'll spin some sort of yarn that is a mix of fact and exaggeration. :sad:

Once I had one of the Musketeers ask me who was with me when I found a cache 'cause they sure didn't recall the events as I described'em. :)

I think each of us likes a good log entry, regardless of how "to the facts" it is. :D

That's awesome! After some of the recent threads on this subject I have actually tried to write better logs. I may not be as enthusiastic in my writing as this/these people were, I am trying to make my logs better.

Very cool and thanks for sharing.

Here are some logs we have had on some of our caches

March 13, 2009 by RW and VJ (733 found)

Many write of the coffee shop, here - - often lamenting their failure to stop for some java. We elected not to make the same mistake (and to assuage our grief over the loss of the picturesque wine shop down the street - - per our note at GCZEC7) - - so, we grabbed the cache and ventured inside the Respite coffee house to do the "paperwork".

Speaking of paperwork - - this coffee shop is worth a visit just to see the "two-holer" bathroom. (And by this we don't mean one of those large public bathrooms with multiple stalls - - this is a normal bathroom with two commodes positioned adjacent one-another, close enough that a pair of 'participants' could share common reading material.)

We had a two-holer, once - - but it was an outhouse (at our summer cottage.) On occasion, as a kid, we pondered whether the outhouse was ever visited 'in-tandem'. But, later, with the installation of plumbing, these thoughts had long ago left our congnizance as has the outhouse itself which rotted, ultimately falling into the very hole it had been built to guard.

But my fellow male cachers (this being written by RW, the male member of this duet) - - here's the real advantage ==> These two commodes are marked "gentlemen" and "women". Consider the advantages - - we men can use "our" commode and leave the seat up, without fear of recrimination!

March 5 by rollierowan (321 found)

WOOO HOOOO my first FTF

Looked on the computer this morning and noticed new listing on page one!

Well its after 9am now probably don't have a chance but might as well try anyway.

Pull into the park and quick punch in coords and notice I already passed it.Head towards GZ and GPSr is bouncing all over.

It finally settled down and got me close but still was a tough search , this could be it or maybe here. You guys did a great job of making snow tracks all over. Made the find at 10am and found empty log book.

Thanks for the fun and the great hide and for the FTF prize. Guessed what it was before I opened it.

Dropped a travel bug to replace the FTF prize

TFTC SL

June 30, 2009 by webcom (17 found)

Great cache !

One of the best, multi-caches we have ever done. Went with a large party of newbies - 17 of us in all. It looked like a (younger) funeral party. Many left sold on the sport and were going to pursue it.

Thanks so much !

- webcom

We sure like getting some fun logs. We hope others can enjoys these as well.

Ambrosia, you obviously did a good job yourself! To have these folks come by and salute you like that!

<heel-click> We salute you AND the finders! :)

:P:laughing:

Goodness, that's sweet of you to say. I'm sure it was mostly just their new enthusiasm, though. I do like those parks, and tried to place the biggest cache I could without being found by non cachers. But one of them is hidden in ivy, which can make some people cranky. But the park is so well manicured, it's the only place to put something bigger than a micro. :)

This is my very favorite log on any of my caches. The story is wonderful, but the picture makes it. Here's a link as i can't figure out how to bring the pic over.

funny log

Oh boy where do I begin. First off me and Ms. gsoh2oman attepted this cache a couple of days ago and could not for the life of us come up with the cache. A thunderstorm was also quickly approaching so we paddled our kayak back to our launch site which was at the end of W 17th St. In the mean time I double checked the coordinates in the GPS against what was on the website and realized they were off by about 80 ft. or so. I have no idea how this happened because I load all the coordinates and logs into my GPS and my PDA by using GSAK. But I digress. Now the real fun begins. We decided to paddle back over today since my coordinates are correct and it was a beautiful day to kayak. We get close to the island and scrape up against something we thought were rocks, until we heard the unmistakable hiss of the air escaping the inflatable kayak. Yep it wasn't rocks we hit it was an oyster bed. So we once again headed back to the launch area and load up and go to the beach house and do a quick patch job on the kayak. Finally the patch was ready so we headed back to the launch area. I decided since the patch was only temporary that it was best to go alone so Ms. gsoh2oman stayed on shore while I paddled across again. I finally made it to the island and tried to find the best place to land the kayak. I found what I thought was the best place and started out of the boat only to mar up to my chest in muck around the oyster beds. I climbed back in the boat to try to find another spot to land. Of course I lose both shoes I was wearing getting in the boat and now I'm barefooted. I finally found a fairly good place to land and tiptoed over best I could over the sharp oysters till I made it into the woods and then was able to make the quick find. Then of course I had to get back into the boat so I tiptoed back over the oysters and got in the boat and paddled back to the launch area where Ms. gsoh2oman is laughing her butt off at the site of me covered up with the muck to my chest. I will have to say this may be the most memorable cache I ever attempt! TNLNSL. TFTC!!
Edited by stites1