Your First Coin?

Gamma Ray

Hi there, i'm kinda new (i've found my first 4 caches over the past 2 days :sad:)

I have become fascinated with Gecaching and in particular the geocoins!

I was wondering What was your first coin (owned) and how did you get it, i'm interested to see what great stories there are?

Im on the lookout for the first coin to buy to start my collection!

I would like my own design one day though!

Hi there, i'm kinda new (i've found my first 4 caches over the past 2 days :sad:)

I have become fascinated with Gecaching and in particular the geocoins!

I was wondering What was your first coin (owned) and how did you get it, i'm interested to see what great stories there are?

Im on the lookout for the first coin to buy to start my collection!

I would like my own design one day though!

I found out about geocaching -- and geocoins -- when Scott Kurtz over at Player vs. Player posted that he was thinking about doing a Skull the Troll geocoin.

I came over here, found this Forum, poked around a bit, and bought two Pathtag Sherpas (the red ones). Those were my first coins (bought for my collection). The first Geocoin I found in the wild was a Cachoids coin. It was pretty neat to look at. Sure a lot different from challenge coins!

My goodness, times they are a-changing. When I first started or had found my first 4 caches I was still trying to figure out my GPSr, hadn't met a Travel Bug yet and forget about what it takes to HIDE a geocache. Now 2 days into it people are already hooked to geocoins and wanting to have their own minted. Young geocachers sure grow up fast!! and boy, do I feel OLD.... not really, just making conversation.

Anyway my first geocoin was a Conejo Cachers but it's not trackable here on this site... then 6 months later I encountered my first trackable .... the 2006 Compass Rose, nickel. Gorgeous, stupendous and I had to have one. Found a bunch of geocoins on Ebay and went on a shopping spree just as a cacher in Texas was selling a bunch of hers off. I had the pleasure of meeting her in person and doing some caching with her at GeocoinFest a couple of years later. Can't remember the first one I bought as it's all a blurr now and I was a maniac in those days waking up at 4 ayem to beat the buzzer and get my last bid in before the end of auction. So naive and so misinformed!! But it was fun and that's all the counts.

Edited by Droo

My goodness, times they are a-changing. When I first started or had found my first 4 caches I was still trying to figure out my GPSr, hadn't met a Travel Bug yet and forget about what it takes to HIDE a geocache. Now 2 days into it people are already hooked to geocoins and wanting to have their own minted. Young geocachers sure grow up fast!! and boy, do I feel OLD.... not really, just making conversation.

And the coins were made of wood and lead and you walked 5 miles in the snow to grab them.. :sad:

My first geocoin was a 2006 Alberta Geocoin in which I won in a cointest for newbies. The contest was held in the forums by wavector in Dec. 2009 which is when I started caching. The first coin I found in a cache was a Geocoin Club October 2008 Geocoin which highlighted night caching. I loved this coin so much that after dropping off the one I found, I won an identical coin on Ebay. I've kept a small collection ever since. I don't release any of my coins in the wild, but activate them only for discovery.

i was introduced to geocaching by my former girlfriend in january 2006. i would basically tag along with her and help find the hides. i was good at locating them! she had many travel bugs roaming around, so i learned about travelers and i thought they were kind of cute, but i didn't get into them very much. so she kept telling me about geocoins...geocoins...geocoins...and how special they were, but we hadn't found any, so she decided to buy one online. she bought an "all season winter caching" geocoin in 2006. then i started looking online for geocoins she might like, and that is when i came across the "9/11 memorial" geocoin, and since my girlfriend and i were both firefighters and EMT/Paramedic, it meant something special to both of us. so i really, really, wanted this geocoin! i think i was outbid on a couple of auctions, until i finally won! once i received the coin, that was it...i was bitten by the geocoin bug! i started buying coins for me and for my girlfriend. a few months later, after buying, releasing, and collecting many geocoins, i asked her if she wanted to help me create our own geocoin. so, inspired by the very first geocoin i ever purchased in 2006, we designed and produced the "code 3" geocoin in january 2007 as a tribute to the firefighters that were lost at "ground zero" and the profession we both loved. here are the first geocoin i bought, and the first geocoin we designed together:

fdbab938-bbdf-4a1f-8445-2f322515e41e.jpg

The first coin we found in a cache was a Rusty o Junk coin. We still have it. We had our own coin produced so we would have something to trade and set free to travel. WE have over 30 now traveling or resting in some coin thief's collection and over 600 in our personal stash.

Now that you have gathered all this information run away before it's too late :laughing: