Bookmark Lists - Can Only View First Page, # per page not responding

waterskippers

As of today, have been unable to view anything other than the first page of my bookmark lists. If I try to change the number of items to list per page, the number changes in the pulldown menu, but the number of items do not change. All of this was working fine through yesterday morning. When clicking on the page number at bottom, or using the Next button will refresh the screen, but it refreshes to the first screen and to the number of items that were set in the list when I first entered Geocaching > Bookmark Lists > View Bookmark List.

Running Mac OS X 10.6 on Intel MacBook, 2 GHz & 2 GB RAM. Have tried this in FireFox 3.5.1 and Safari 4.0.3, same results on both browsers.

As of today, have been unable to view anything other than the first page of my bookmark lists. If I try to change the number of items to list per page, the number changes in the pulldown menu, but the number of items do not change. All of this was working fine through yesterday morning. When clicking on the page number at bottom, or using the Next button will refresh the screen, but it refreshes to the first screen and to the number of items that were set in the list when I first entered Geocaching > Bookmark Lists > View Bookmark List.

Running Mac OS X 10.6 on Intel MacBook, 2 GHz & 2 GB RAM. Have tried this in FireFox 3.5.1 and Safari 4.0.3, same results on both browsers.

Interesting. Same here. Can't get to anything past the first 50 entries in any bookmark list.

Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.6.3.

--Larry

Looks like I'm not the only one. Help please, I NEED my bookmark lists.

This was working earlier today. Any idea what broke it and when it will be fixed? :sad:

All the bookmark problems will be fixed on the 12th .... as in the 12th of never. Many bookmark issues and bugs have been noted again and again for a long time. It appears that the TPTB has ranked bookmark bugs and issues at the bottom of the list. You probably have to put up with broken software for some time.

Here are some additional symptoms, just in case it helps.

1) If you select "next", "previous", "first", "last", or a particular page number, the new page number on the bottom is correct, but it still displays the first page of caches.

2) If you change the number of items per page, the number of pages is recalculated correctly, but you still see the first page with the original number of caches.

Any word yet from the Groundspeak lackeys on the status of this? This should be a severity 1 defect, because it basically makes bookmark lists totally useless.

Just to add to the weight behind the severity of this problem, it's affected me too. I have a bookmark list of caches to work on this weekend and I can't see past the first 20 on the list. That's pretty dadgum frustrating when you've put a lot of work into a bookmark list. :sad:

Just to add to the weight behind the severity of this problem, it's affected me too. I have a bookmark list of caches to work on this weekend and I can't see past the first 20 on the list. That's pretty dadgum frustrating when you've put a lot of work into a bookmark list.

There is a work-around. Make a PQ from the bookmark list and you will be able to see the caches on the list. Just set the PQ to never run and use the preview feature. Gives you 20 caches per page, and you can get to them all.

Another work-around: if you want to delete a cache on a bookmark list, but you can't get to the page with the cache to change it, just re-bookmark it to the same list, and a nice page comes up that lets you edit it or delete it.

Why those options are not available directly from the cache page is beyond me, since it would be a simple thing to implement. As it is, I have to figure out work-arounds for pretty much everything I do with bookmarks because the usability is so bad.

I end up doing all my interfacing with bookmarks via PQs I make for each of them.

Edited by fizzymagic

Had it happen to me too, a week or two ago when I was working on an important bookmark list. Really anoying so I just got the page to show 200 caches per page although I only had 54 in the list.

Maybe that worked a week ago, but not this time. :P:laughing:

There is a work-around. Make a PQ from the bookmark list and you will be able to see the caches on the list. Just set the PQ to never run and use the preview feature. Gives you 20 caches per page, and you can get to them all.

This works as long as you're not dealing with the Ignore List. I have an Ignore List with well over 50 caches (and please, let's not rehash all the arguments for and against using an Ignore List).

I clicked the "Create Pocket Query" button, which took me to the "Bookmark Pocket Query" page as expected. Then I clicked the "Submit Information" button to create the query. To complete the process, I clicked the "preview the search" link. At the top appeared "Total Records: xxx- Page: 1 of yy" The total records and number of pages were accurate, there simply were no actual entries in the list.

Why? Because caches on your Ignore List never appear in the results of a Pocket Query.

Can you say Catch-22?

--Larry

I already have PQs for most of my bookmark lists, but that does not help if I want to read the notes I included with the bookmark. Also, PQs do not come out in any discernible order. Bookmark lists are nicely ordered by whatever I put in the title line, such as the county or DeLorme page. Makes it easy to see what you still need for the challenges. PQ is not a workaround for that.

:P Still no acknowledgement from GS that they are even looking at this problem? :laughing:

:P Still no acknowledgement from GS that they are even looking at this problem? :laughing:

In another thread, TPTB stated that they are concentrating on keeping the Web site up and running efficiently on what is expected to be a busy weekend as far as Web site visits are concerned. It was also stated that work will resume on Monday regarding any bugs introduced or left over from the latest round of updates.

Unless a bug surfaces that cripples the Web site, I don't expect to see much progress on working out the bugs or, for that matter, acknowledgment of problems until after the weekend.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

--Larry

In another thread, TPTB stated that they are concentrating on keeping the Web site up and running efficiently on what is expected to be a busy weekend as far as Web site visits are concerned. It was also stated that work will resume on Monday regarding any bugs introduced or left over from the latest round of updates.

Unless a bug surfaces that cripples the Web site, I don't expect to see much progress on working out the bugs or, for that matter, acknowledgment of problems until after the weekend.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

--Larry

Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that they would realize that this IS a crippling defect. Maybe it doesn't affect the entire website, but it makes Bookmark lists pretty much useless. You would think that they would at least have some concern about features that people PAY FOR!!! Or at the very least you would think they would acknowledge that it is on the list to look at. I think this was working after the upgade, so it probably broke with one of their "fixes". Should not be too hard to narrow it down. This is SOOOOO frustrating.

We're looking into this now. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. It helps a lot to know that someone is looking at it. Bookmarks re a great feature, and I use them a lot, so it was very frustrating when they were not working.

We removed something on our production servers to speed up each machine, but when we did it we didn't realize the change revealed an issue with the bookmark page. We'll get it done as soon as we can.

Just to add to the weight behind the severity of this problem, it's affected me too. I have a bookmark list of caches to work on this weekend and I can't see past the first 20 on the list. That's pretty dadgum frustrating when you've put a lot of work into a bookmark list. :laughing:

I see that they're working on it now, but has anyone tried viewing them in the EDIT page? Maybe you can make them work for you there? Also my Bro thought thare might be a way to work around by downloading the first page, then deleting them, moving the next set to the first page. Of cousre that's pretty jacked if you need the list later. I noticed that on shorter lists, they all display on page 1, even thouth there should be only 20. if you break the lists into groups of 50 they should all display in page one of their respective list.

Not a solution, but you might at least be able to access the info you need.

Yeah...nevermind. That doesn't work. I am very in experienced in using the BM lists, I thought in the edit function might let you see the whole list. It doesn't.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT