Why don't people log a find?

I've recently placed my first cache and have checked back and notice that 3 of the finders have not logged the find?

Why is what I want to know

Not sure why some don't. Sometimes it's a little annoying. Like today I'm going for a cahce that looks like it hasn't been found yet. I'm hoping that it's not the fact that the finder just never logged it. It will be a first to find.

Sometimes it just slips through the cracks. I have about 5 finds from Geowoodstock last year that I completely forgot to log. I did manage an earthcache we found on the way home. I should really leave the forums right now and log the others while I am thinking about it. The problem is that I won't and by the time I do I will forget again. :sad:

Some say they have their reasons, don't want to be a part of the stat race, etc. But it can by annoying. A couple of summers ago, we wanted to do a challenge cache that required us to find a lonely cache that hadn't been found for a year. All of the local lonely caches were grabbed right away, so we planned our lonely caching around our vacations to remoter areas of the state. On two separate occasions, on two different trips, we attempted caches that hadn't been logged online for over a year or more only to find that the physical logs contained a signature within the last year! One of the cachers had only logged one cache online in another part of the state, making me think they routinely cached but didn't log online. And the other signatory's name didn't match any registered cachers on GC. The lonely cache required a photograph of the physical log, so these two didn't count. We later found a lonely cache without realizing it later that year. It was a sudoku puzzle cache and hadn't been found for a year and half. It wasn't even that hard of a sudoku. So either cachers in those parts don't like puzzles or they don't like sudokus.

I've recently placed my first cache and have checked back and notice that 3 of the finders have not logged the find?

Simple. I don't want to. No lengthy psychosocial reasons or justifications why. I just don't want to, therefore I don't.

It's a choice, just like it's a choice for you to let my not logging bother you. We all make them. :sad:

Simple. I don't want to. No lengthy psychosocial reasons or justifications why. I just don't want to, therefore I don't.

It's a choice, just like it's a choice for you to let my not logging bother you. We all make them. :)

Like the choice you made in assuming that the OP was bothered by it and not just curious? :sad:

One of the below:

1. Forgot to log / forgot cache was found

2. Logged wrong cache

3. Didn't want to, because:

- Do not want other cachers to compare numbers / track them easily

- Do not want spouse to know where they have been :sad:

- Could not be bothered

4. Slow in logging

5. Want to mess with others going for FTF

6. Do not have a geocaching.com account

Anyone else can think of more reasons?

One of the below:

2. Logged wrong cache

- Could not be bothered

4. Slow in logging

On vacation without a computer or smartphone. (Well, OK... that could be covered under #4). I was out in Arizona last week for eight days. Couldn't log anything until I got home, including TBs.
One of the below:

2. Logged wrong cache

- Could not be bothered

4. Slow in logging

On vacation without a computer or smartphone. (Well, OK... that could be covered under #4). I was out in Arizona last week for eight days. Couldn't log anything until I got home, including TBs.

And the #1 reason for not logging online..."I broke my keyboard in a drunken, late night Ebay session."

It's a choice, just like it's a choice for you to let my not logging bother you. We all make them. :)

Like the choice you made in assuming that the OP was bothered by it and not just curious? :sad:

Exactly!

One of the below:

2. Logged wrong cache

- Could not be bothered

4. Slow in logging

Illness.

You're supposed to log them?? :sad:

Nice avatar there, Doctor. :) I just stumbled across an non-online logger today. I wrote in my log "I'm not the first finder since December, 2009, someone calling themselves Cache Coyote signed the log about a month ago".

My opinion is there used to be more of these type of people than there used to be. It was September, 2007 or so when Groundspeak started requiring you to have an account to view cache coordinates. The only person of this type that I ever met (not including old timers like TAR who used to, but have decided to stop logging online) claimed "computer illiteracy" for not doing it.

I usually log caches as soon as I have time to sit at the computer for a few minutes. Taoiseach, on the other hand, has a backlog of several hundred caches he intends to log. He tends to write lengthier logs than I do, and he's busier than I am, so it just gets put off.

I got an email notification on a cache of mine that said xxxxx left this comment on the cache log, "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" but when I click the link to view the log or look at the cache's page, it's not there. Strange no? And yeah, only half of those that have signed the log in the cache have posted the find. Strange.

I usually log caches as soon as I have time to sit at the computer for a few minutes. Taoiseach, on the other hand, has a backlog of several hundred caches he intends to log. He tends to write lengthier logs than I do, and he's busier than I am, so it just gets put off.

Ditto except it is my wife Emma that doesn't log as often as I. We find most of our caches together but I do find some while at work during the day. I log mine when I'm near the comp... she logs hers when I remind her.

I'm sure if people were to read my logs they would think I am making her up eg: "found this one with Emma today etc..etc.." then no log from Emma...

I was out in Arizona last week for eight days. Couldn't log anything until I got home, including TBs.

:laughing: 8 days without being able to get online? That's not a vacation, that's cruel and unusual punishment! :P

That depends on where you're at without internet access. Many of the places I was at last week either had no internet access, very unreliable and slow internet access, or very expensive internet access, but that's pretty common in the middle of Tanzania.

I did find one cache, and the person I was traveling with also wanted to sign the log even though she's not a geocacher.

Some times you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

I got an email one time.

I see you logged other peoples caches around here and signed mine. How come you didn't log mine?

A more appropriate question would have been

What are you trying say about my caches by remaining silent?

or

Are my caches that bad?

I was out in Arizona last week for eight days. Couldn't log anything until I got home, including TBs.

:laughing: 8 days without being able to get online? That's not a vacation, that's cruel and unusual punishment! :P

That depends on where you're at without internet access. Many of the places I was at last week either had no internet access, very unreliable and slow internet access, or very expensive internet access, but that's pretty common in the middle of Tanzania.

I did find one cache, and the person I was traveling with also wanted to sign the log even though she's not a geocacher.

I was wondering where you had been that had Tsetse flies. :)

Some just don't feel they need to report the find on the internet just because they feel it is a waste of time. Others don't bother ever logging any online because geocaching.com is a nightmare to navigate. I have gotten used to it so to me it is no big dal but visually the site is poor at best. A professional redesign of the site would be nice.

I log all of my finds and most of my DNF's. My son stopped logging his finds almost a year ago. He is 10 years old and doesn't want to use up his computer time by logging finds.

He does, however, enjoy tramping around the woods looking for caches and checking out the contents and logs in cache containers.

One of the reasons I sometimes don't log online is because the cache is not worthy of wasting any more of my time. A quick look at yours, though, and doesn't seem to be the case. I most likely would have logged that one. Looks like a nice cache.

Other folks have various reasons for not logging online. To each their own.

While Groundspeak would certainly like you to visit this site more often to get more hits and thus a greater value for the site, it's not a requirement to log online. Personally, I don't mind if someone doesn't log one of our caches online. The important part is they were entertained by our cache. It's nice to know if they were, but otherwise...

In fact, as far as I'm concerned, if all you're going to log online on one of our caches is "TFTH" I'd just as soon not see it. It takes up room in the last five logs of a PQ bumping a log that might be more useful to the next person.

Hmmm... that gives me an idea...

People geocache for fun. They tend to do the stuff that they find fun, and skip the rest.

I, for example, rarely tackle puzzle caches. No fun to me. Don't attend flash mob events, ditto.

I log some, but not all of the caches I find. I log the fun stuff, where I'm excited and want to share, and thank the cache owner. However, if nothing feels like moving me to the keyboard on caches, they don't get logged online. Also, when we travel, just lazy. I'm probably not going to log while traveling, and i'll just space out once I get home.

Lots of sigs without online logs on my shorter hikes in the woods here in the winter months. I'm used to it.

As CoyoteRed just said, no log at all beats "TFTC" or "4 of 12, 456"

My opinion is there used to be more of these type of people than there used to be.

Huh?!?!?

There was a nasty 5 stage multi around here some years back and I got to the final stage expecting at least a STF. Opened the log to read "We're just 5 air conditioning guys who found this thing"

I have some friends at work who went and found a bunch one day. Never logged them online. One guy's been caching longer than me, and I've never seen any logged caches.

In fact, as far as I'm concerned, if all you're going to log online on one of our caches is "TFTH" I'd just as soon not see it. It takes up room in the last five logs of a PQ bumping a log that might be more useful to the next person.

That's a good point. Every log that I see like that irritates me to no end. I know people are busy, but if you enjoyed it at least write me a sentence. If you didn't enjoy it, well I need to know so I can improve.

My wife and daughter caches with me sometimes and the wife does not log. My daughter does not unless I help her do it. They don't keep count because they do not care about that aspect of it. They still like to hunt for them if they are with me. And they sign the log.

Some just don't feel they need to report the find on the internet just because they feel it is a waste of time. Others don't bother ever logging any online because geocaching.com is a nightmare to navigate. I have gotten used to it so to me it is no big dal but visually the site is poor at best. A professional redesign of the site would be nice.

Huh? Hard to navigate?

Huh? Hard to navigate?

Maybe he's using a different site than the rest of us?

BOT, the folks I know that don't log them on-line just don't wanna. Simple as that.