Help with coordinates for the cache I placed... Quickly would be helpful...

Okay, I just placed my cache. After I finished placing it I got the coordinates. They were accurate to 3 meters. The problem I have is that I don't know which one is west/east and which is north/south. I put them in google and it was exactly where it was. The coordinates are 40.11348 ,-74.91731. Even if I know which one is supposed to be west/east/ and which is supposed to be north/south how would I know if it was north or south? I'm confused can someone tell me exactly how to fill it in?

Okay, I just placed my cache. After I finished placing it I got the coordinates. They were accurate to 3 meters. The problem I have is that I don't know which one is west/east and which is north/south. I put them in google and it was exactly where it was. The coordinates are 40.11348 ,-74.91731. Even if I know which one is supposed to be west/east/ and which is supposed to be north/south how would I know if it was north or south? I'm confused can someone tell me exactly how to fill it in?

The 40 should be North and the -74 should be west.

You are in decimal instead of mm.mmm

Is that bad? are they more or less accurate?

BTW, thanks i'm submitting it now!

EDIT: Oh, and should I put -70 in for west, or keep it positive beause you know it is west because of the negative?

Edited by Coldgears

As I understand it, coordinates are always listed North/South first. then East/West. North and East are positive, South and West are negative, So 40.xxxxx is north, and -74.xxxx is west.

Is that bad? are they more or less accurate?

BTW, thanks i'm submitting it now!

EDIT: Oh, and should I put -70 in for west, or keep it positive beause you know it is west because of the negative?

In the coordinates section of the cache page, you can change it to decimal degrees (Dec.Deg) and it will help you import the information that way. The N/S and E/W should be in the drop down list. For your location, it should change from N and W. Do not use the neg (-) symbol.

No offence, but are you sure you are ready to place a geocache, if you don't know the hemisphere you are living in?

Why don't you set up your GPSr in a way that it displays the common format for geocaching, which is degrees decimal minutes?

GermanSailor

No offence, but are you sure you are ready to place a geocache, if you don't know the hemisphere you are living in?

Why don't you set up your GPSr in a way that it displays the common format for geocaching, which is degrees decimal minutes?

GermanSailor

Well, does it automatically convert it for people? If not does that mean less people will go find it?

Hooray! You successfully submitted your cache for review. And, the coordinates converted properly from decimal degrees to decimal minutes. Some new hiders try to force their decimal degrees into the format used by Geocaching.com. Good on you for asking here for help.

Next, to avoid delay in getting your cache published, you will want to enter your home coordinates as part of your profile information. You can do this using the mapping tool here: http://www.geocaching.com/account/ManageLocations.aspx or through entering coordinates here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx

Your home location is used to confirm that caches you hide are within your maintainable distance. This concept is part of the "Cache Maintenance" section of the Listing Guidelines. Reviewers cannot see the exact coordinates which you enter, and it's fine to use a nearby landmark rather than your actual residence. Entering home coordinates in the system also facilitates the delivery of a weekly e-mailer telling you about new caches published in your area. For more details, read this page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=108

Hooray! You successfully submitted your cache for review. And, the coordinates converted properly from decimal degrees to decimal minutes. Some new hiders try to force their decimal degrees into the format used by Geocaching.com. Good on you for asking here for help.

Next, to avoid delay in getting your cache published, you will want to enter your home coordinates as part of your profile information. You can do this using the mapping tool here: http://www.geocaching.com/account/ManageLocations.aspx or through entering coordinates here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx

Your home location is used to confirm that caches you hide are within your maintainable distance. This concept is part of the "Cache Maintenance" section of the Listing Guidelines. Reviewers cannot see the exact coordinates which you enter, and it's fine to use a nearby landmark rather than your actual residence. Entering home coordinates in the system also facilitates the delivery of a weekly e-mailer telling you about new caches published in your area. For more details, read this page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=108

Thank you! I would have never thought of that. Now all I gotta do is wait for it to be published.