3 day roadtrip ideas?

ZeroHecksGiven

Okay, I didn't lose my job. I got a new job and my old boss is so awesome she didn't want me to make any money for my last two weeks with the company. No, she thought she was going to bum me out, but actually, this means I have a few days to do as I please. This means I get in my car and drive somewhere, cache, take pictures, sleep in my car and be a beach bum anywhere I want to be.

So yeah, anyone got any fun ideas for a 3-4 day road trip starting in the Tacoma area? I'll be alone and I have to avoid the olympic peninsula as I promised the lady friend we would do that this summer. I was thinking Oregon coast or maybe up towards the san juans(hop a ferry and maybe end up in Victoria BC). Doesn't have to be the coast either or even near any water for that matter :sad:

I'll be sleeping in my car because it's cheap and I like it. Though campgrounds are okay with me and will most likely try to plan my trip around places to sleep each night. Just looking for something fun with nice views and lotsa caches. Or maybe not so many, whatever, I don't care.

I'm all over the place with this post. So throw out some ideas. I'm game for whatever really and just want to spend a few days exploring this beautiful state before I get back to working 40hr weeks.

Thanks!

Edited by NWCREW

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2e-874676b00c74

If you head up to Victoria use the route TravisL made for the cache machine it was great or you could go down to portland and over to hermiston or for a nice road trip and leave the close stuff like victoria for later. If you go the I84 route stay in the Dalles if you get the chambers 12 geocaches they give you a free geocoin. Also the weather will be better in the hermiston tricities area to sleep in your car.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2e-874676b00c74

If you head up to Victoria use the route TravisL made for the cache machine it was great or you could go down to portland and over to hermiston or for a nice road trip and leave the close stuff like victoria for later. If you go the I84 route stay in the Dalles if you get the chambers 12 geocaches they give you a free geocoin. Also the weather will be better in the hermiston tricities area to sleep in your car.

great info. I loved the area down near hermiston, but was just there for the walla walla cache machine, so I'll be "avoiding" that area for the time being. Good call on the Victoria cache machine list though. I'll have to take a closer look at getting there and places to sleep. Thanks :sad:

We love three day trips. But we usually cache to the area and stay two days caching and then cache on the way home. I would suggest you look at the Astoria area. I am planning on such a trip there soon. BTW how are you coming along on the WA State Delorme Challenge and WA State County Challenge. This would be an excelent time to do that.

Edited by W7WT

So many places, so little time. US 2, WA-14, Oregon coast is great. And Dick's suggestion of working on the Delorme squares. WA-20 is not a good choice yet.

Would WA-20 be OK on the east side? Skip the North Cascades and pick up WA-20 at Omak or thereabouts and head east. There are some good caches along that route to Pend Orielle County. You could then come south to Spokane and back along US-2.

20 east of Omak to Pend Orielle County is pretty rugged country. My guess is the snow may be quite deep. Only been there in July so just a guess on my part.

Sherman Pass is over 5,000 feet.

Edited by W7WT

So many places, so little time. US 2, WA-14, Oregon coast is great. And Dick's suggestion of working on the Delorme squares. WA-20 is not a good choice yet.

Would WA-20 be OK on the east side? Skip the North Cascades and pick up WA-20 at Omak or thereabouts and head east. There are some good caches along that route to Pend Orielle County. You could then come south to Spokane and back along US-2.

not sure how it all works out, but this is what the wa dot site says:

SR 20 Both Directions - SR 20, the North Cascade Highway is closed at milepost 134 at Diablo to milepost 171 at Silver Star gate. Work to reopen the highway is underway and the highway is expected to reopen by mid April.

From milepost 134 to milepost 171

And Also:

SR 20 Both Directions - SHERMAN PASS The roadway is covered with compact snow and ice. Traction tires are advised and oversized loads are prohibited.

At milepost 319

I don't have my Washington maps with me now so I can't give better info. But it does look like the east side is fine.

I think that a good road trip from there would be head west over to the coast on 30, then follow Highway 101 south along the Oregon coast, Then cut across towards I-5 and then all the way across on Highway 58 to Crescent, then head north from there up and around Mt Hood. Once you get past there, head down through the Gorge.

The Coast and the Gorge alone will give you enough caches to really have a great trip, and Highway 58 is a nice drive across Oregon. Also if you wanted to head south and hit Crater lake then you could do that when you hit Highway 97.

Google Maps Trip

I have never made that full loop, but I have done almost every section of that drive at one time or another.

I think that a good road trip from there would be head west over to the coast on 30, then follow Highway 101 south along the Oregon coast, Then cut across towards I-5 and then all the way across on Highway 58 to Crescent, then head north from there up and around Mt Hood. Once you get past there, head down through the Gorge.

The Coast and the Gorge alone will give you enough caches to really have a great trip, and Highway 58 is a nice drive across Oregon. Also if you wanted to head south and hit Crater lake then you could do that when you hit Highway 97.

Google Maps Trip

I have never made that full loop, but I have done almost every section of that drive at one time or another.

I was going to suggest the Oregon coast. Lots of good caches along there.

SE Washington is a great 3-day trip.

The Palouse! Palouse Falls, Walla Walla, Dayton, Lewiston and many other places along the way. The Columbia River gorge route to the Palouse is an outstanding drive if you haven't done that in a while. Caching along the Columbia is very good.

Yeah, we just did the Oregon coast for our anniversary in December, and slept in our Suburban for some of the nights (we were gone for more like 5 days). It was an awesome trip, we had such a good time (I think it's our third trip in that area since we started to cache). There are a ton of Earthcaches along the coast, if you're into them. They're usually pretty quick and easy while driving along.

We've also done the San Juan/Victoria/Vancouver thing as well several times, and it's also a wonderful trip.

Can't go wrong either way. :sad:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Oregon coast is what I'll be doing. I'll save Victoria for sometime with the girlfriend since the 80-125 dollar ferry ride is a waste of one person/car. Columbia river drive will be done again later this summer. I did it on the way back from Walla Walla and it truly was one of the most beautiful places I've been in a very long time, no joke. I'll be back.

I'm not sure how far south I'll be heading. But I figure I'll drive straight to Astoria and start there and travel south along the 101 until I get bored, hurt, tired, cold, sick and/or run out of time. My initial plan was for three days, but I could make it to five if I'm enjoying my time enough and there are no crowds.

Does anyone have any MUST DO caches along 101 anywhere between Astoria and say....Coos Bay? Not sure I'll make it there or not, but a fun cache could make it worth my time. Any camp grounds I should hit as well? I found a site that goes into some vague detail about a few that are good or not good for whatever reasons. First hand experience goes a long way though.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone, can't wait to get outta here again :laughing:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Oregon coast is what I'll be doing. I'll save Victoria for sometime with the girlfriend since the 80-125 dollar ferry ride is a waste of one person/car. Columbia river drive will be done again later this summer. I did it on the way back from Walla Walla and it truly was one of the most beautiful places I've been in a very long time, no joke. I'll be back.

I'm not sure how far south I'll be heading. But I figure I'll drive straight to Astoria and start there and travel south along the 101 until I get bored, hurt, tired, cold, sick and/or run out of time. My initial plan was for three days, but I could make it to five if I'm enjoying my time enough and there are no crowds.

Does anyone have any MUST DO caches along 101 anywhere between Astoria and say....Coos Bay? Not sure I'll make it there or not, but a fun cache could make it worth my time. Any camp grounds I should hit as well? I found a site that goes into some vague detail about a few that are good or not good for whatever reasons. First hand experience goes a long way though.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone, can't wait to get outta here again :laughing:

I can't tell you of any good caches on/near 101 (yet) but I can tell you a great place in Astoria to eat if you like lots of good Chinese food pretty cheap.

I realize this has nothing to do with geocaching. Fell free to block it. After WWII we brought the USS Poseidon up here and had it moored at the Dock at Manchester. Then we took it to Astoria for a few days and the up the river to Swan Island for decomission. I can remember going under the Longview bridge but not any bridge after crossing the bar into Astoria. When was the existing bridge from Astoria to WA state built? Thanks Dick

I realize this has nothing to do with geocaching. Fell free to block it. After WWII we brought the USS Poseidon up here and had it moored at the Dock at Manchester. Then we took it to Astoria for a few days and the up the river to Swan Island for decomission. I can remember going under the Longview bridge but not any bridge after crossing the bar into Astoria. When was the existing bridge from Astoria to WA state built? Thanks Dick

Construction started in 1962, dedicated in 1966.

Thanks Jim, I guess the reason i don't remember it being there because it wasn't there. The Oregon coast is a good way to go. If you are doing them all you are not going to get very far. Enjoy your outing. Dick

Edited by W7WT

Sounds like http://coord.info/GC1YQ90 "101 Caches along Hwy 101" might be right up your alley.

http://coord.info/GC1C1ER Elliovatte in Astoria is a good one

Lots of great campgrounds all along the coast.

And lots of great sights along the Oregon coast as well. Cannon Beach, Depoe Bay, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, oh and Sunset Bay/Shore Acres down near Coos Bay is not to be missed.

Have a great visit!

only about a week early. My last day was Tuesday and I told them my last day would be the 12th. I'm not sweating it that much and from what I hear, getting unemployment will take me much longer than a week to get.

I was going to leave yesterday for the coast, but had some last minute screen printing I needed to do, so I'll be headed out today instead. Basically headed for the maritime museum in Astoria as I hear it's really nice and whatever happens after that is up in the air.

So you got a new job and your boss laid you off two weeks early? I'd file for unemployment. Might only get a week but it's money in your pocket!

I think that might be illegal. ;)

Nothing illegal about filing for something you're entitled to.

It might be a good idea to file anyway to get your waiting week out of the way. That way if you need it later on you get it right away w/o having to do the waiting week.

THE ASTORIA RIVERFRONT CACHE is a favorite of ours and a twist that is not seen often.

Another good one in Florence is Democracy Under Pressure

Neither of these are hikes on beaches but both are memorable.

If you are interested in a short hike, history, a little bushwhacking, and an additional benchmark find near a geocache I'll put in a plug for my just south of Florence. Siltcoos Lookout Tower

If you hike on in and have a small tent there is first come first served lakeside camping at the end of Siltcoos Lake Trail that goes part of the way to this cache.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Well, I'm back. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I slept the first night in Tillamook and then made it down to Newport before turning back and staying another night in Tillamook. I found a church with a back parking lot and they even had wifi, lol. So it was tough to search out a new spot.

Couple of my favorite places, outside of caching. Cape Kiwanda and Ecola State Park. Caches in both of course, but wow, will have to make it back at some point to explore more. I was going to get the Communications Hill cache, but I wasn't interested in paying $9 to get much closer and it was getting late in the day. So I rebel ran to the light house, took a picture and came back out.

Beanteam, I didnt make it that far, but I'll keep them in mind when I do this trip again.

I had fun in Astoria as well. Seeing the goonies houses. I didn't have time to do the puzzle cache, but I'll make sure it gets done in June for the cache machine. The Astoria Column was amazing as well, what fun and my 600th cache to boot. Spent some time in the Maritime Museum and had a blast. Anyone who thinks the $10 isn't worth it, just go in, enjoy, it's fun.

Anyways, I start my new job on Monday, so my excursions will be cut back down to weekend getaways. The whole laying me off thing isn't a big deal. Basically the job was a joke, I was part time and barely making min. wage. I was planning on working it out until the end, but she thought she would hurt my feelings when she cut all my hours and I was pretty stoked as I got a trip down through Oregon out of it. I just don't have the patience to go into that unemployment office since I hear it's a nightmare lately.

Well, I'm back. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I slept the first night in Tillamook and then made it down to Newport before turning back and staying another night in Tillamook. I found a church with a back parking lot and they even had wifi, lol. So it was tough to search out a new spot.

Couple of my favorite places, outside of caching. Cape Kiwanda and Ecola State Park. Caches in both of course, but wow, will have to make it back at some point to explore more. I was going to get the Communications Hill cache, but I wasn't interested in paying $9 to get much closer and it was getting late in the day. So I rebel ran to the light house, took a picture and came back out.

Beanteam, I didnt make it that far, but I'll keep them in mind when I do this trip again.

I had fun in Astoria as well. Seeing the goonies houses. I didn't have time to do the puzzle cache, but I'll make sure it gets done in June for the cache machine. The Astoria Column was amazing as well, what fun and my 600th cache to boot. Spent some time in the Maritime Museum and had a blast. Anyone who thinks the $10 isn't worth it, just go in, enjoy, it's fun.

Anyways, I start my new job on Monday, so my excursions will be cut back down to weekend getaways. The whole laying me off thing isn't a big deal. Basically the job was a joke, I was part time and barely making min. wage. I was planning on working it out until the end, but she thought she would hurt my feelings when she cut all my hours and I was pretty stoked as I got a trip down through Oregon out of it. I just don't have the patience to go into that unemployment office since I hear it's a nightmare lately.

Sounds like you had fun. I have been to many of those areas but before I started geocaching. I have even been to the Maritime Museaum.

I haven't been to an unemployment office in years. It is all done online or by phone now. Almost as easy as posting in these forums. :P

Sounds like you had fun. I have been to many of those areas but before I started geocaching. I have even been to the Maritime Museaum.

I haven't been to an unemployment office in years. It is all done online or by phone now. Almost as easy as posting in these forums. :wub:

Don't even need the phone. You can apply and claim online.

It sounds like he had fun and that's what is important.