"Pieces of Eight" Geocoin Icon Contest

GeocoinGuy

This is a client's coin which was not going to be announced quite yet as the art is being worked over by way of mud sculpture, but when I was looking at the new designs on the Geocoin home page, I saw that someone has purchased codes for a similar named coin...

So there is NO confusion, I had locked in the name and had purchased the codes for this coin in the middle of March - and here is the V1 concept art:

poe750.jpg

~J

Well... if... you are talking about a coin that I think it was shown in a thread here in the posts... some time ago.... the one that shows a Spanish coin but on one side it has the Head of the king...

The coins are completely different!

The other coin (I do not remember who made it and who post... and if the coin was supposed to be a piece of eight... but it was very pretty!), actually showed a gold 8 escudos coin (according to the design) from the end of 1700's, and the king on it was Carolus III ... if I remember well, and it also had the mintamark of Mexico mint!

The one you made is a real piece of eight, minted in South America... probably a COB coin (the crud cuts of spanish coins that were made instead of bars, so they can be transefed easier with the ships!), And I can read the Kings name... Philipus!! So it isi from somewhere at the end of 1500's or the beginning of 1600's! I also think the coin in your design was minted in Potosi (Bolivia) and not Mexico! :sad:

It is a beautiful coin my friend!!!

Well... if... you are talking about a coin that I think it was shown in a thread here in the posts... some time ago.... the one that shows a Spanish coin but on one side it has the Head of the king...

The other coin (I do not remember who made it and who post... and if the coin was supposed to be a piece of eight... but it was very pretty!), actually showed a gold 8 escudos coin (according to the design) from the end of 1700's, and the king on it was Carolus III ... if I remember well, and it also had the mintamark of Mexico mint!

The one you made is a real piece of eight, minted in South America... probably a COB coin (the crud cuts of spanish coins that were made instead of bars, so they can be transefed easier with the ships!), And I can read the Kings name... Philipus!! So it isi from somewhere at the end of 1500's or the beginning of 1600's! I also think the coin in your design was minted in Potosi (Bolivia) and not Mexico! :sad:

You are very close Nikos -

It is an 8 Reales coin that was recovered by Mel Fisher in 1985 from the Spanish ship "Nuestra Senora de Atocha", otherwise known as the "Atocha", that went down in a hurricane in 1622. The particular coin seen here was minted at Lima, between 1577-1588. Judging by the Assayer's mark */D, the Assayer was Diego de la Torre. The reign was Philip II.

The common practice for making payment with these coins were for the merchants to break a 'piece' of silver from the coin for the wares they were selling, hence the term "Pieces of Eight".

~J

The one you made is a real piece of eight, minted in South America... probably a COB coin (the crud cuts of spanish coins that were made instead of bars, so they can be transefed easier with the ships!), And I can read the Kings name... Philipus!! So it isi from somewhere at the end of 1500's or the beginning of 1600's! I also think the coin in your design was minted in Potosi (Bolivia) and not Mexico! :)

You are very close Nikos -

It is an 8 Reales coin that was recovered by Mel Fisher in 1985 from the Spanish ship "Nuestra Senora de Atocha", otherwise known as the "Atocha", that went down in a hurricane in 1622. The particular coin seen here was minted at Lima, between 1577-1588. Judging by the Assayer's mark */D, the Assayer was Diego de la Torre. The reign was Philip II.

The common practice for making payment with these coins were for the merchants to break a 'piece' of silver from the coin for the wares they were selling, hence the term "Pieces of Eight".

~J

I don't mean to detract from this coin, but there is already a Reale Treasure Cache coin that looks identical on the front. Just thought you might want to know. :sad:

It's an ICON COINTEST:

The Pieces of Eight geocoin has now been released and the client would like to offer one of these beautiful coins for an icon set!

So - Here's the rules:

1. Create two icons (32x32px and 16x16px) in .GIF format

2. Send your icons to: icons@geocoindesign.com.

3. Include your Caching name and Real name along with your postal address.

4. Post the fact that you have submitted your icon in this thread, but DO NOT post the icon(s).

---

All icons received for this cointest become the property of GeocoinDesign. The winner of the cointest will be announced on 15 January 2011 and the prize will be sent off to the winner on 17 January 2011.

Helpful hint: You might want to do a bit of research prior to submission.

This is what you are playing for:

PiecesOfEight.jpg

Good Luck!!!

The direct link to the coin page: Pieces of Eight Geocoin

Am I the first and only who entered so far?

Yes, I entered in the cointest.... and that was the last thing I did with my PC... the next day it died... I do not know when I will have a new one.... I am using now the PC of my brother in law!

I hope I will see you all soon by having a new PC! Good luck with the cointest!!!

I will miss you guys.. I will miss the forum... huh!!!