gczII issue

Just began caching once again yesterday after a 2 year hiatus. GCzII worked awesome.

Now today, I can pull up a list of caches from my location, view any that I may have cached to the WinMo yesterday just fine, but if i click on any cache I hadn't viewed before, I get "cache not found"

the log html pages appear ok. any ideas?

GCZii goes against Groundspeak's terms of use with how it obtains data from the website. Every time they change the website a little it affects the app and you will see this error. Eventually they come out with an updated version that works again.

I know GS doesn't like this app and if there was a decent alternative I would use it. I don't like to have to load caches before I go for a hunt. Sometimes I'm just out with my family and think "now would be a good time to look for one" and it's nice to pull them up with this app.

Anyone recommend an alternative that actually works as good as GCZii?

Thanks for the reply. I kinda guessed that there was a chance it was from a change on geocaching.com, based on what i'd read here, but wanted to make sure.

But I read a post from last month that GZcII is now approved as an app...is that not the case? I understand that doesn't mean changes here won't still break the app, but just wanted to confirm that I'm even allowed to discuss it here now.

I can understand the idea of not wanting screenscraping stealing all of the bandwidth, but the app is awesome. It'd be nice if GC.com had an approved and "always-working" version of it...I'd happily pay the fee or membership charge knowing I had something that worked as well as GCzII.

So to re-emphasize, any good WinMo app that will work for downloading offline caches and logging finds?

But I read a post from last month that GZcII is now approved as an app...is that not the case?

You're right, I missed that one. Thanks for pointing it out. That's great news. Hopefully this latest issue will be solved soon. I have always used a WinMo phone for caching over the years, never owned a GPS. I'll be jumping ship soon to Android, but would like to keep using this until then.

Just began caching once again yesterday after a 2 year hiatus. GCzII worked awesome.

Now today, I can pull up a list of caches from my location, view any that I may have cached to the WinMo yesterday just fine, but if i click on any cache I hadn't viewed before, I get "cache not found"

I have the same problem since Apr 2 2010, does anybody know how to solve it?

I have the same problem since Apr 2 2010, does anybody know how to solve it?

You're right, I missed that one. Thanks for pointing it out. That's great news. Hopefully this latest issue will be solved soon. I have always used a WinMo phone for caching over the years, never owned a GPS. I'll be jumping ship soon to Android, but would like to keep using this until then.

We used to cache under another forgotten account years ago with a Win5 PocketPC.....seemed like there were a lot of options for apps back then.

We used to cache under another forgotten account years ago with a Win5 PocketPC.....seemed like there were a lot of options for apps back then.

Nothing like GCzII though. Back then you couldn't go out to GC.com live and grab the caches closest to you based on what your pocket PC's GPS location was. Basically all you had were programs that could read pocket query's.

Now (when it works) with GCzII you can do a search based on your current GPS location (or 8 other ways to search) have it give you a real time list of all the closest caches with logs. Then put those caches in a google map. Select one, have google maps give you driving directions to it. When you get close you switch back to GCzII and use your phones GPS to locate the cache. While your kids are digging through the swag you can submit a log to GC.com and do a search for the next cache. You never need to use a web browser or bother with receiving pocket querys in email and you don't even have to be a GC.com premium member for all this to work.

It's come a long ways since pocketPC devices.

Has anyone gotten GCzII working this month for a WM6 device? I've got the latest version (02.35.40) that is still posted on the website. But I get the same error as the original post. I've grown dependent on this awesome program. If anyone has any tips other than just waiting on an update, please let us all know.

Edited by 4Franklins

Has anyone gotten GCzII working this month for a WM6 device? I've got the latest version (02.35.40) that is still posted on the website. But I get the same error as the original post. I've grown dependent on this awesome program. If anyone has any tips other than just waiting on an update, please let us all know.

Download the current version 2.35.41 and all is well again.

Where did you get v2.35.41?

Can't find the new version to download but I installed AppToDate and it update it to v2.35.41 for me. The update fixed the cache not found error I was getting.

what website are you downloading this from ? I am very interested in loading this onto my samsung omnia with WinMo & giving it a try.

We love GC but it's way too time consuming to have to manually enter all that stuff into my gps.

This looks and sounds like a great alternative.

Where did you get v2.35.41?

Can't find the new version to download but I installed AppToDate and it update it to v2.35.41 for me. The update fixed the cache not found error I was getting.

what website are you downloading this from ? I am very interested in loading this onto my samsung omnia with WinMo & giving it a try.

We love GC but it's way too time consuming to have to manually enter all that stuff into my gps.

This looks and sounds like a great alternative.

http://www.nicque.com/pqz/GCz.htm

GCzII V*.*.43 is now messed up due to recent maintenance on web site.

:) Groundspeak needs to quit being bullies and work with Nicque to allow integration of live geocaching. it is unfortunate that what is likely the best geocaching software can't be used effectively. I don't want to hear about EULA violations. Groundspeak should approve the use of GCzII so we can get to geocaching. P.S. I am a premium member, so Groundspeak is still getting money out of me.

:) Groundspeak needs to quit being bullies and work with Nicque to allow integration of live geocaching. it is unfortunate that what is likely the best geocaching software can't be used effectively. I don't want to hear about EULA violations. Groundspeak should approve the use of GCzII so we can get to geocaching. P.S. I am a premium member, so Groundspeak is still getting money out of me.

I agree. I am willing to pay for this software. If Groundspeak would license it or something, that would be nice. GCzII is about 5 times faster than browsing geocaching.com through my smart phone and not being able to use it is frustrating. I think Groundspeak needs to be more enterprising and look for opportunities to promote and expand the sport of geocaching by embracing technologies that make it easier. They can easily develop ways to do this while still paying the bills or even becoming profitable.

BTW, there is another thread that says GCzII is already approved, so perhaps that is not the issue here?

"Bullies" for enforcing their TOU/EULA when they're a business? Wow. :laughing:

Perhaps something will be worked out in the future with GCzII, but I don't think unlimited use of out-of-house apps is the way to get there. I'd rather wait on Groundspeak to get it right, whether it's GCzII or the Droid app they've been working on for months.

In the meantime, options include:

--Trimble/iPhone apps

--Dedicated caching handheld GPSr

--Continue to deal with the frustration of a scraping app going down each time gc.com updates.

"Bullies" for enforcing their TOU/EULA when they're a business? Wow. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right - EULA is EULA. But we should not forget that business works only properly if also the needs of the customer, who gives the money, are a part of the play.

Certainly I would pay for GCz or a similar APP - but not switch from my HD2 to an iPhone.

Regards

Peter

Anyway.... GCzII version 0.2.35.45 is the latest version and is working. Use App2date to keep your version up to date.

Visit the link in my signature for help and latest news on GCzII.

I think this version might be giving some problems now too.. Since yesterday it crashes as soon as I try to open the cache to see more details or if I can get it to open that, as soon as I click on Description.

I even reinstalled windows mobile and then GCzII but to no avail....

Hope the problem can be solved quickly...

GC.com should perhaps collaborate with the developer of this app to make sure it is allways working... I'm also willing to pay for the app if we must....

Anyway.... GCzII version 0.2.35.45 is the latest version and is working. Use App2date to keep your version up to date.

Visit the link in my signature for help and latest news on GCzII.

I think this version might be giving some problems now too.. Since yesterday it crashes as soon as I try to open the cache to see more details or if I can get it to open that, as soon as I click on Description.

I even reinstalled windows mobile and then GCzII but to no avail....

Hope the problem can be solved quickly...

GC.com should perhaps collaborate with the developer of this app to make sure it is allways working... I'm also willing to pay for the app if we must....

Whenever GS updates the site, GCzII is likely to have problems. The July update actualy made GCzII crash. Anyway, GCzII version 0.2.35.46 is out now and working. You may have to search the xda developers forums for it as Tom is realy short on time and has not updated his website, or set it up on app2date. Or check out the link in my signature for help with gczii.

Edited by Andronicus

Whenever GS updates the site, GCzII is likely to have problems. The July update actualy made GCzII crash. Anyway, GCzII version 0.2.35.46 is out now and working. You may have to search the xda developers forums for it as Tom is realy short on time and has not updated his website, or set it up on app2date. Or check out the link in my signature for help with gczii.

Thank you, Andronicus

I did install app2date but it is still just seeing .45 so I did a search to see if I can find the .46 version. Found it but need to create account on developer site before I can download it.... Do you know of any other place where I can download it?

PS. I did not see any signature of yours or a link.... maybe I am just to tired at the moment, I need some sleep....

Hmmmm..... ok ok now I found it... will let you know if I got it to work....

Many thanks anyway...

Edited by BadgerBite

If its crashing when you try to download caches, try disabling the static maps. Its in the menu, options, static maps. just un-check all of them. That seemed to work for me and I found that after searching. Kind of annoying when you are in the field to have it crash all the time, but after doing that its working great now.

If its crashing when you try to download caches, try disabling the static maps. Its in the menu, options, static maps. just un-check all of them. That seemed to work for me and I found that after searching. Kind of annoying when you are in the field to have it crash all the time, but after doing that its working great now.

:(:( Thank you very much. If I saw this earlier, I would have save one day.