Muggle here! First GPS needed!

Hey there cachers...

Small family of three looking for a beginners gps system. We've tracked a few caches just by lurking and muggling but want to really get into this. The kids love treasure hunting!!!!

Any advice on which to look at or which to stay away from would also be lovely.

I think we are leaning towards atleast one geomate jr.

We're in Lower mainland , BC, Canada

Edited by knittedcache

Hey Guys!

Welcome to caching! My recommendation would be a Garmin Etrex or a Magellan Explorist 210. The Geomate Jr is a great unit which holds 250,000 caches, and with the update kit you can add new ones as they publish(I believe), however, it only allows you to find traditional caches, meaning no puzzles, multi's, earth, virtuals, etc. For the price its a great deal. Just my two cents. If you are unable to locate one on here I would look over on Ebay. I bought my first GPS (Explorist 210) on there. I currently use a Garmin Etrex HCx and Delorme PN-30 and both are great choices too!

Have fun!

PZ

Edited by PaneledZero

Hey there cachers...

Small family of three looking for a beginners gps system. We've tracked a few caches just by lurking and muggling but want to really get into this. The kids love treasure hunting!!!!

Any advice on which to look at or which to stay away from would also be lovely.

I think we are leaning towards atleast one geomate jr.

We're in Lower mainland , BC, Canada

I made what I consider a mistake in buying an entry-level system myself last year. Within two weeks, after I learned a few things about caching and GPSr's, I knew that it wouldn't be enough and would need something more powerful. Two months after that, I upgraded again. The cost of my two "enty-level" units would have paid for the final one. Not everyone will get into it like we did, but with your kids already hooked, that scenario may not be too far fetched. Of course, budget is also to be considered. I realize that I'm not offering a direct answer to your question but really, you need to do a lot of research. Talk to your local cachers. See other units in operation. Decide if you want to go "paperless" or save a few bucks by carrying print-outs. Some units are waterproof. Is that something to consider? Some have a camera. Others will help you make breakfast, so to speak. And so on.

Good luck with your search.

I personally wouldn't go to "high-end". I just bought an older Magellan from ebay for $77. Only reason I really bought it is because my husband has a similar one and they are compatible, so when we go together we aren't fighting over the gps. :lol:

For the money I would highly suggest the venture Hc it works as well as my legend hcx and Is a little less costly, I wouldnt consider it a low end unit it does have a color screen, a high sensitivity reciever and will hold maps, it has a standard usb port and lasts a long time on 2 AA batteries.

CACHE ON

that would be me, I have cach'd for years and not used a gps and on my account i got 80 finds and my joint account we had 300 plus no gps, i used google earth and ms live, take photos with my phone of the location on screen and wallah even put my photos in order to the next location, Ive been meeting allot more people as of late without gps!