google map or GPS?

socduncan

Hi Folks, I'm completely new to the caching game with 8 caches so far. I'm using google maps right now which is working fine. Please tell me why I would want to spend money and purchase a GPS handheld?

Went looking at the Garmin Oregon 450 today but decided to wait. That's a lot of money for geocaching. No we do not hike nor will we so the only other reason I would want a GPS is for driving. If I ever go out in the woods or desert to cache I will stay on the main trail and limit the hike to a few miles or few hours.

The other GPS unit I'm looking at is the Magellan eXplorist GC that's coming out soon. Thoughts?

I like that it's cheaper & paperless but won't work for driving. Hmm!

Thanks for the help!

Hi Folks, I'm completely new to the caching game with 8 caches so far. I'm using google maps right now which is working fine. Please tell me why I would want to spend money and purchase a GPS handheld?

Sooner or later you will be in an area that you wish you had a GPSr for. Unless you are strictly walking the sidewalks and taking note of exact locations based on landmarks (I assume). As soon as you enter the bush where you may not see obvious landmarks, how do you know how far or on what bearing the cache will be?

Went looking at the Garmin Oregon 450 today but decided to wait. That's a lot of money for geocaching. No we do not hike nor will we so the only other reason I would want a GPS is for driving. If I ever go out in the woods or desert to cache I will stay on the main trail and limit the hike to a few miles or few hours.

I agree, too much money just for geocaching, but again, how do you intend on finding caches that are a ways into the woods using just an aerial map? Might work for a few really obvious hides, but sooner or later you will wish you had one :anicute:

The other GPS unit I'm looking at is the Magellan eXplorist GC that's coming out soon. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

I have no feedback on that one as I know nothing about it.

This is just my humble opinion. Play the game you want to play it and have fun playing it. It's all good.

I would have to agree with Lornix, I had a friend that did google maps, but eventually it got hard to get caches by doing that. If you are looking for a car gps that you can sort of fudge your way to a geocache i would recomend a Nuvi. They are great in the car, and you can set it to pedestrian mode for trails. The pedestrian mode doesnt get you nearly as close as a handheld, but it can get you close. There are also cheaper models of GPSr you can get (Etrex comes to mind). I love my Oregon to death but i use it for backpacking and back trails hiking! Best of luck!

The way we see it, is that you get out of something what you put into it. You can fudge through something this way; get by doing something that way; do OK if you fiddle at something another way. In the long run, you are the person that you have to satisfy.

Our suggestion will not be to try and change your mind. Once you arrive at that fork in the road (and you will), you are either going to do this, or you are going to do that.

You do not need a top-shelf GPSr, when there are plenty of not-so-expensive ones that do just as well, and are proven. Perhaps it would be a better idea to go that route, see if this is what you and your family really want to do. You have saved some money, and when you do reach that fork in the road, perhaps you would wish simply to upgrade, or drop it altogether.

Expensive? You bet! It certainly can be for a starter there is no denying that, be you well-funded or not. To go both feet into something you are not sure about, it's a tough decision. But when you do get to that fork in the road, ask yourself this one simple question. What is my happiness and my sense of accomplishment really worth?

Best advice -- make it fun, make it happy times and enjoy. Goggle Maps or GPSr, either way.

I found a few hundred caches with Google Maps before I finally bought a GPSr. If you don't think you need one yet, then don't invest in one. Later, when you're ready for a GPSr, you'll be able to buy more capability for the same price (or the same capability for a lower price, if you prefer).

I'm using google maps right now which is working fine. Please tell me why I would want to spend money and purchase a GPS handheld?

Google maps work nicely in the city, or in areas where there are obvious visible landmarks. They don't work so well for areas where there are no easily identified features. Nor do they work well for multi caches unless you want to keep going back to your PC to look at the next location.

If you are content bouncing between strip malls, guardrails and pocket parks then by all means stick with Google maps. If you want to experience all the wonderful places that geocaches can bring you then you'll want to get a hand held GPS (well that or learn map and compass navigation).

You do not need a top-shelf GPSr, when there are plenty of not-so-expensive ones that do just as well, and are proven. Perhaps it would be a better idea to go that route, see if this is what you and your family really want to do.

Good advice. There is no need to shell out the big bucks for a top of the line unit. A basic unit runs under $100 and you can get a decent used one for half that.

Thanks everyone! I've decided for now to use the google maps and see if I have a true passion to delve deeper. With the HOT weather around the corner I don't want a $400 unit sitting on the shelf because I can't take the heat to Cache, LOL!

Also, waiting to hear the pro's & con's of the eXplorist GC. :anicute:

Thanks everyone! I've decided for now to use the google maps and see if I have a true passion to delve deeper. With the HOT weather around the corner I don't want a $400 unit sitting on the shelf because I can't take the heat to Cache, LOL!

Also, waiting to hear the pro's & con's of the eXplorist GC. :anicute:

What cell phone and plan do you have. Many of the smart phones now have GPS capabilities, so if you are already spending the money for a phone plan that will allow you to cache you could consider that as an option.

If you like it.. go get one.. Think of it as an investment into you getting outside, fresh air and enjoying nature.

We have friends that are steadily going to things like amusement parks, movies, etc ALL the time to entertain their kids.

We spent a portion on what they spend and bought a nice gps. The kids are loving these trips and we love the idea of them getting fresh air, exercise and seeing places and things they would not have seen otherwise.

Way we see it, 20 years from now the kids wont remember what movie they saw but they will remember these adventures.

Check out the classifieds here, get a nice used one. We tried a few without the GPS and found the first one pretty easy with google maps (it was in the woods and required bushwaccking , but some of the hints gave the location area away) Others were a little harder.

There is one car unit that can be used as a true outdoor geocaching GPSr. That is the Garmin Nuvi 500. Itis ruggedized and is waterproof. Has Topo and street maps. A local cacher with over 10,000 finds uses it as his only unit. He said the biggest issue he has is that it doesn't have a way to hook up a lanyard and it doesn't fit in the hand like a handheld. But you can route on the streets the switch to geocaching mode a walk the rest of the way. Also it is fully paperless with field notes. You can find them online for 200-250.

Thanks again for the info. The heat is finally subsiding and we were able to go out tonight for a short bike ride but the location was mosquito infested. Still going to give this a fair try and see if this is something I can get into. Will be purchasing a TC within the next year so hiking looks to be in my future. Guess I'll need a GPS eventually, LOL! :)

Thanks for the great tips!!!

I think you got the right idea. You can find a lot with maps and hints. In the meantime, keep an eye out for a used or refurb unit (I got a refurbished Bushnell off of Woot.com for $40). Then eventually you may upgrade to better and better units as you go.

ps, what is a TC?

Truck Camper :wub:

That means I will be out in the woods camping & hiking. I need a GPS! :grin:

Thanks for the help!

I've found a few simple caches just using Bing maps, but try finding a cache in a heavily wooded area with Google maps. You're going to have to be pretty lucky.

If you're going to have hobbies you're going to have to have the necessary tools or be happy doing some guard rail caches or caches in a park with just a few trees and plenty of open ground. What you're saying about buying a gps is like a hunter saying he can't see buying a rifle just for hunting.

Google maps will work great for lots of locations. But it can be 70m or more off. And you never know where is is off. So it will usually work great for caching in the city, but sometimes it will send you on a wild goose chase.

Not really.. when google maps are off I've found they they are off a specific distance and direction. When you see random scatter in a particular area it is more likely the fault of the hider's GPS coordinates. I do agree that some caches are in areas that require some accurate compass work rather than just reading the features. Back when most of the aerial photos were taken in "leaf off" conditions it was relatively easy to read wooded areas, but now that so many are taken with summer vegetation, GPS-less caching is often more difficult.