Be careful night caching

bittsen

WHEW!

I'm finally warm again.

I've made it no secret that most of my caching is done at night. I would guess that greater than 90% of my cache finds have been done at night so I am quite familiar with the dangers, I thought.

Last night I went out to get a few night caches. No big deal. I've done it dozens of times. I have a 50% ratio for running into the police while caching. Ain't no big deal, I thought.

So, I was looking for a cache and didn't notice the officer pull up. I was in an area called "the slough" where there are lots of caches. It's like a gully that carries some water spilled over from the columbia river. I digress.

I was on the bank of the slough when the cop shined his light at me. I was startled because I thought I was alone and all of a sudden there was a flashlight on me. I couldn't see anything but his flashlight as I spun around really fast. All I heard was "DROP IT!!!"

I was trying to figure out if I was staring at a cop or some other person who came across me and figured it had to be a cop so I started to explain what I was doing. "Um, no worries. I'm jus..." and I heard "I SAID DROP IT!!! NOW!!!!"

Not knowing what I was supposed to be dropping I just said "It's just a GPS" and didn't even realize that with the GPS and my flashlight in the same hand it could look like a gun in the dark.

"DROP IT AND PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!!!" and I was still trying to argue that "It's just a GPS, LOOK!!" and that was about the time I gelt this THUD on my side as I tumbled onto the ground and subsequently splashed into the water. Luckily the water is only about 3 feet deep as I was scrambling to get to my feet. Now there are two flashlights shining on me as I realize I was just bum rushed by another cop that I didn't see. They are both screaming at me to get on my knees as I am standing in 3 or so feet of ice cold water. I try to walk to the bank but can't see it with the flashlights pointed at me. They yell again to drop to my knees which just happens that I'm close enough to the bank to get on my knees without freezing so I comply.

Next thing I know is I'm being dragged by the collar of my jacket op to a face plant on the wet grass and a knee in my back as I'm being patted down. I could see the form of the other officer standing over me with his gun drawn as he's telling me, rather forcibly to "DON'T MOVE!"

I'm trying to explain that I'm not doing anything wrong but keep getting told to shut up as I feel handcuffs being placed on me. That's about the point where the pain started to kick in. Somewhere in the forcible restraint I hurt my shoulder which felt like it was dislocated or something.

The cop drags me to my feet and I can finally see the situation I am in. There were FOUR cop cars and six cops that I was facing. Lots of lights flashing now and 4 car spotlights shined right on the scene. I'm being forcibly led up the bank of the slough when one cop asks the one leading me "Did you get the weapon?"

HUH? What weapon? I start to say I didn't have a weapon but, again, told to shut up. This was so surreal. Time to calm down and let things play out I think to myself.

Now I'm pushed on the hood of one of the cop cars and given a more extensive search. I was actually thankful a bit at this point because the heat from the hood of the cop car was nice and warm. I'm shivering like never before.

FINALLY they want to talk to me. WHEW!!

First question

What were you doing down there?

Shivering and stuttering a little at this point. "I was geocaching"

Why did you have a gun then?

"I don't have a gun"

What did you do with the gun?

"I didn't have a gun"

I SAW YOU HAD A GUN!

"What? No, I didn't.... I had a GPS"

It was a GUN! I SAW it!

"Nooooo. I didn't have a gun. All I had in my hand was a GPS and a flashlight!!"

Cop A looks at cop B and says. I guess we aren't going to get any cooperation.

I'm stuffed into the back of the car while protesting and trying to explain that I only had a GPS and a flashlight, etc. And I'm freezing cold!

I sat in the back of the car for what seemed like an hour but it might have only been 10 minutes, waiting.

A new car pulls up and the officer gets out. He does some conferencing with all the others and I see one of the officers walking up the bank with what appears to be my GPS in his hand. They all huddle and the new officer comes over and opens the car door.

"What were you doing down there?" he says as his flashlight blinds me.

"I was just geocaching. Have you ever heard of it?"

"Yes, I've heard of it. Let's see some ID"

I thought to myself what a stupid question. I'm handcuffed in the back of a squad car. How am I supposed to get my ID out but then it clicked that he wasn't asking me but the officer that had my ID. I chuckled inside a little at that realization.

"Are you (says my name)"

Yes.

"Is this your current address"

Yes

"I'll be right back"

Another timeframe that seems like an hour goes by while the heat from the squad car is finally taking the shakes away.

Door opens up and the cop says "Step out of the car please" which I do and he proceeds to ask a bunch of questions about what I was doing. I explain geocaching a little more than his general idea. I tell him of caches in the area. I tell of mine. I'm getting cold again really quick.

"Turn around" he says and I have this feeling something bad is going to happen at this point but soon realize he's taking the cuffs off.

He says "Seems someone saw you down here and called it in as suspicious. Said you had a weapon. You know this isn't a great area to be in at night and, well, mistakes happen".

I nodded that yeah, mistakes happen.

"Is it possible that someone was playing a practical joke on you, seeing as it's the first of april and all?"

It's possible but it's more likely that I'm plating an april fools joke on the readers of the forum with my bogus story of getting bum rushed by a cop and pushed into a cold body of water.

Dang!! And here, I was all ready to post some snarkey comment about how "humor never hurts" (with a link to that other thread... glad I don't have to go hunt it down now) :anicute:

Seriously... I suspected that you were pulling our collective leg when you said that you let them cuff you so easily, and was sure of it when you made no mention of suing them.

I knew this was fake as "the slough" doesn't have any caches...

I have no idea what the slough is

You are incorrect there is such a thing I have several caches that I have placed along a Slough that may have been where Bittsen got the idea since we live very close to one another.

Scubasonic

I don't think Oregon has any sloughs, I know Washington doesn't. They have them in California, but they were imported from the Midwest.

Yup... we have a slough of 'em here.

I don't think Oregon has any sloughs, I know Washington doesn't. They have them in California, but they were imported from the Midwest.

Not any more. Jacob slew the last slough!

Not any more. Jacob slew the last slough!

:anicute: I'm guessing that has something to do with Jacob's Falls?

I don't know where you're from, but Everett (WA) has a slough of them also.

It's possible but it's more likely that I'm plating an april fools joke on the readers of the forum with my bogus story of getting bum rushed by a cop and pushed into a cold body of water.

That actually did happen to you. I was out gigging frogs on that creek & saw the whole thing. I just thought it to be a REAL criminal, but had no idea it was a fellow geocacher. If I had of realized that, I would have came to help you & chased them off with my gig. I apologize so much for not doing that.

When's the lawsuit going to be filed for unneeded law enforcement harrassment? In order to make it up to you, I'll happily be a witness for you.

P.S. My wife is a psychologist & during my treatments, she has explained to me that it's common for people to block out all memory of traumatic events. She explained that to me when I forgot our wedding anniversary one time. So that's why you don't remember this happening.

Edited by AstroDav

That actually did happen to you. I was out gigging frogs on that creek & saw the whole thing. I just thought it to be a REAL criminal, but had no idea it was a fellow geocacher. If I had of realized that, I would have came to help you & chased them off with my gig. I apologize so much for not doing that.

When's the lawsuit going to be filed for unneeded law enforcement harrassment? In order to make it up to you, I'll happily be a witness for you.

P.S. My wife is a psychologist & during my treatments, she has explained to me that it's common for people to block out all memory of traumatic events. She explained that to me when I forgot our wedding anniversary one time. So that's why you don't remember this happening.

Hey, now you're onto something. How will I get the officers info though?

I was thinking I made it all up but now I do remember hearing frogs last night so it MUST be true.

Am I the only one that thinks that the fact that the story was posted by bittsen made it more believable?
Well, not specifically that it was bittsen, but that it was presented as happening in Portland. For a minute I thought this might end up on the front page of The Oregonian, Portland Tribune, Portland Mercury, Willamette Week, or Portland Cop Watch. Edited by lee_rimar

WHEW!

I'm finally warm again.

I've made it no secret that most of my caching is done at night. I would guess that greater than 90% of my cache finds have been done at night so I am quite familiar with the dangers, I thought.

Last night I went out to get a few night caches. No big deal. I've done it dozens of times. I have a 50% ratio for running into the police while caching. Ain't no big deal, I thought.

So, I was looking for a cache and didn't notice the officer pull up. I was in an area called "the slough" where there are lots of caches. It's like a gully that carries some water spilled over from the columbia river. I digress.

I was on the bank of the slough when the cop shined his light at me. I was startled because I thought I was alone and all of a sudden there was a flashlight on me. I couldn't see anything but his flashlight as I spun around really fast. All I heard was "DROP IT!!!"

I was trying to figure out if I was staring at a cop or some other person who came across me and figured it had to be a cop so I started to explain what I was doing. "Um, no worries. I'm jus..." and I heard "I SAID DROP IT!!! NOW!!!!"

Not knowing what I was supposed to be dropping I just said "It's just a GPS" and didn't even realize that with the GPS and my flashlight in the same hand it could look like a gun in the dark.

"DROP IT AND PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!!!" and I was still trying to argue that "It's just a GPS, LOOK!!" and that was about the time I gelt this THUD on my side as I tumbled onto the ground and subsequently splashed into the water. Luckily the water is only about 3 feet deep as I was scrambling to get to my feet. Now there are two flashlights shining on me as I realize I was just bum rushed by another cop that I didn't see. They are both screaming at me to get on my knees as I am standing in 3 or so feet of ice cold water. I try to walk to the bank but can't see it with the flashlights pointed at me. They yell again to drop to my knees which just happens that I'm close enough to the bank to get on my knees without freezing so I comply.

Next thing I know is I'm being dragged by the collar of my jacket op to a face plant on the wet grass and a knee in my back as I'm being patted down. I could see the form of the other officer standing over me with his gun drawn as he's telling me, rather forcibly to "DON'T MOVE!"

I'm trying to explain that I'm not doing anything wrong but keep getting told to shut up as I feel handcuffs being placed on me. That's about the point where the pain started to kick in. Somewhere in the forcible restraint I hurt my shoulder which felt like it was dislocated or something.

The cop drags me to my feet and I can finally see the situation I am in. There were FOUR cop cars and six cops that I was facing. Lots of lights flashing now and 4 car spotlights shined right on the scene. I'm being forcibly led up the bank of the slough when one cop asks the one leading me "Did you get the weapon?"

HUH? What weapon? I start to say I didn't have a weapon but, again, told to shut up. This was so surreal. Time to calm down and let things play out I think to myself.

Now I'm pushed on the hood of one of the cop cars and given a more extensive search. I was actually thankful a bit at this point because the heat from the hood of the cop car was nice and warm. I'm shivering like never before.

FINALLY they want to talk to me. WHEW!!

First question

What were you doing down there?

Shivering and stuttering a little at this point. "I was geocaching"

Why did you have a gun then?

"I don't have a gun"

What did you do with the gun?

"I didn't have a gun"

I SAW YOU HAD A GUN!

"What? No, I didn't.... I had a GPS"

It was a GUN! I SAW it!

"Nooooo. I didn't have a gun. All I had in my hand was a GPS and a flashlight!!"

Cop A looks at cop B and says. I guess we aren't going to get any cooperation.

I'm stuffed into the back of the car while protesting and trying to explain that I only had a GPS and a flashlight, etc. And I'm freezing cold!

I sat in the back of the car for what seemed like an hour but it might have only been 10 minutes, waiting.

A new car pulls up and the officer gets out. He does some conferencing with all the others and I see one of the officers walking up the bank with what appears to be my GPS in his hand. They all huddle and the new officer comes over and opens the car door.

"What were you doing down there?" he says as his flashlight blinds me.

"I was just geocaching. Have you ever heard of it?"

"Yes, I've heard of it. Let's see some ID"

I thought to myself what a stupid question. I'm handcuffed in the back of a squad car. How am I supposed to get my ID out but then it clicked that he wasn't asking me but the officer that had my ID. I chuckled inside a little at that realization.

"Are you (says my name)"

Yes.

"Is this your current address"

Yes

"I'll be right back"

Another timeframe that seems like an hour goes by while the heat from the squad car is finally taking the shakes away.

Door opens up and the cop says "Step out of the car please" which I do and he proceeds to ask a bunch of questions about what I was doing. I explain geocaching a little more than his general idea. I tell him of caches in the area. I tell of mine. I'm getting cold again really quick.

"Turn around" he says and I have this feeling something bad is going to happen at this point but soon realize he's taking the cuffs off.

He says "Seems someone saw you down here and called it in as suspicious. Said you had a weapon. You know this isn't a great area to be in at night and, well, mistakes happen".

I nodded that yeah, mistakes happen.

"Is it possible that someone was playing a practical joke on you, seeing as it's the first of april and all?"

Wow......scary story. My son-in-law is a cop in Fresno, CA. I asked him if he had heard of Geocaching, he hadn't. I explained what it is, and that he shpuld let it be known amongst his peers. He became so intrigued that he has since bought a GPS and is going to start Geocaching also. I do believe that educating local law enforcement is a must, or many more stories like this one are going to become familiar.