Release Notes 4/1/10

OpinioNate

... All this and other changes are fine, but me, as a paying member, it is totally corrupting what I am expecting from payed service. Why should I notice any negative changes when I expect all will run smoothly? If you are at the restaurant, will you accept poor food when you have to pay for it?

One of the worst possible comparisons. There could be one or two dozen competing restaurants nearby that you could patronize instead. Geocaching has no practical competition. Yet we still get to complain when they fumble the ball (it does make me feel better to complain occasionally), and they get it mostly fixed eventually. You have very few choices here. Pay or not. Play or not.

Really? So far I know, I can play even without being PM and have nothing to pay. But I'd be ashamed to want money for something which is not providing service as it should. Sorry, that's the story.

Also, what is wrong with the right column again (on the http://www.geocaching.com/my/ page). Why is it so wide?

I really hate that I can't decode hints in the field anymore. When I try (using my Palm Centro) to decrypt, I get the message: "TypeError:isString is not a function"

Personally, I would rather wait the 20 seconds for the page to reload on my phone, than have to manually de-crypt the hint (since the Key doesn't line up on my phone correctly either and I have to count the letters)

Hi, i have problems with pictures, they didn't wond show on Safari. I had also some problems with the sending the field Notes from the iPhone.

Greetings, GPSnini

Domo!!!

Same here with pictures lately on Safari.

Very sloooooow uploading, and also especially when viewing. Sometimes forever to view them.

I post at least one picture per find, and have many uploaded.

Quite frustrating.

Hope this gets resolved really soon.

~ Dr.MORO

PowerMac Dual G5 + Mac OS 10.5.8 + Safari (Webkit) 4.0.5 (5531.22.7, r57054)

the pixel.quanserve.com is having a fit and is loading the pictures extremely slow

also i just noticed on a newly published cache, what i believe is the note to the reviewer is visible on the cache page :)

Edited by t4e

Hi, i have problems with pictures, they didn't wond show on Safari. I had also some problems with the sending the field Notes from the iPhone.

Greetings, GPSnini

Domo!!!

Very sloooooow uploading, and also especially when viewing. Sometimes forever to view them.

Quite frustrating.

~ Dr.MORO

Domo!!!

Hampsters seems to be in the hospital or garage or something like that.

Got an error message "The Image upload system is currently down for maintainence. Please try again later."

But, then again, it's not just the upload system.

The whole image-related stuff is really slow lately.

~ Dr.MORO

Notice re: phasing out browser support

Added notice to site masterpages when user visits in IE6

WOW, I was the one crying out loud for you to start phasing out IE6 (here and here) just like any other major influent one on internet and early 2010 you said you had no plan to do so. Glad you changed your mind and hopefully it will be less a nightmare playing in the code for developpers.

Great now let's move on with the new generation bowsers! Congrats for the move! B)

Some of use are not in control of the PCs we use and are stuck on IE6. This is a negative change for users such as myself. It would be good if the WAP site was up to it, maybe i could use that...

Simon

Greetings, GPSnini

Domo!!!

Quite frustrating.

~ Dr.MORO

Domo!!!

Hampsters seems to be in the hospital or garage or something like that.

Got an error message "The Image upload system is currently down for maintainence. Please try again later."

~ Dr.MORO

Domo!!!

Hampsters Returns!

Images loads fine now!

Thanks for coming back!

~ Dr.MORO

As mentioned here recently, Groundspeak is migrating to a new server(s) for images because the old one was filling up fast. They told us to expect slow images for a few weeks while the migration happens.

If it's no longer accepting image uploads, I guess that means the old server is now full!

I don't know if it's related or not as it was a long time I haven't looked at additionnal waypoints.

I had to check the final waypoint where a cache of mine was to be sure coordinates were correct and I find the "map" link of no use as it does not point to that waypoint coordinates but to the start of it, the published coordonates instead.

I tried with another cache and it's the same. The "map" link for any waypoint always show the same thing. Why it does not pin point the location of the waypoint I'm looking at?

Only noticed this since the larst update. But logging in using a non prerium account, when looking at news caches list there was always two google adds in the list. But now they are gone. The second space has a strange spacing but no add.

Will screen shot tonight when I get home.

I don't know if it's related or not as it was a long time I haven't looked at additionnal waypoints.

I had to check the final waypoint where a cache of mine was to be sure coordinates were correct and I find the "map" link of no use as it does not point to that waypoint coordinates but to the start of it, the published coordonates instead.

I tried with another cache and it's the same. The "map" link for any waypoint always show the same thing. Why it does not pin point the location of the waypoint I'm looking at?

So I guess this is normal behavior since nobody else discussed that problem.

What's the use of the 'Map' link again?

So I guess this is normal behavior since nobody else discussed that problem.

What's the use of the 'Map' link again?

I do think it was discussed before (not after the most recent update, but the infamous "white space" one), but I don't know if it was in this thread, and I haven't heard any more about it.

Don't know if these two issues have been pointed out yet, but I noticed them today.

1. The email notification of a new cache has the wrong distance and direction from my home coordinates. A notice that arrived this evening, detailed a cache 3.5Km SW of my home coordinates, but it is actually 1Km NW. It is correct when I view the page or do a search, it only seems to be incorrect in the email.

2. There seems to be a problem with image captions. If I view an image in a log, and then view an image from the gallery, the caption from the log always appears under the image, even if that image has a caption of it's own. If I refresh the page and go directly to one of cache images (the ones uploaded by the owner), the don't show a caption under the image, even if they have one. If I then click on another one of the log images, that caption shows and then also appears with any subsequent cache image. If I view a different log image, then that caption does show, and then that caption continues to show for subsequent images.

I hope that makes sense.