Release Notes 4/1/10

OpinioNate

When I click "nearby caches of this type", for event caches, I get no listings.

I also get no listings of attended events, when I check on my profile or on a friends profile. The other categories of cache finds seem to work, including the Mega event one. It just shows "Practice "Cache In Trash Out"

While out geocaching, bring a bag with you to pick up trash along the way. Visit the Cache In Trash Out page to learn more about CITO."

There seems to be a change with trackables:

* The order of the logs seems to be ascending for each day. See TB3AHM3. Find #241 is listed before #237, which should happen because #241 was found later in the year. But #237 is before #240. #237 and #240 are on the same day. #240 occurred and was logged after #237 but is being listed after it. This is a change in functionality from the previous release that makes the log order appear inconsistent. I noticed this before I logged a find and noticed....

* TB3AHM3 was picked up, yet it doesn't show up in the log. It now can't be picked up as, it's being help by owner. (Retrieve log is now showing up). One might dismiss this as user error (it still might be), but also note that I recalculated the distance and took a closer look as I noticed the milage was not calculated and the retrieve was missing.

* The milage for TB3AHM3 on 3/31/2010 is missing, even though a 'recalculated distance' was executed. This might be because the log that the trackable was dropped with was archived. This is a change in functionality from the previous release.

Unrelated to trackables, but also important, I'm getting a lot more 500 - Internal server errors when going through the site.

This being a holiday weekend in much of the world, it is important for us to get new code out in advance of what is expected to be a very busy weekend for Geocaching.com.

Isn't that what should be avoided? The last few times there was an upgrade there was some nasty problems following on and I remember reading long thread of upset people.

But I don't mind, I like new features and fixes... just curious if the given reason was in fact good :anicute:

Notice re: phasing out browser support

Added notice to site masterpages when user visits in IE6

WOW, I was the one crying out loud for you to start phasing out IE6 (here and here) just like any other major influent one on internet and early 2010 you said you had no plan to do so. Glad you changed your mind and hopefully it will be less a nightmare playing in the code for developpers.

You went pretty fast on it though... The KB state : It's important to upgrade before March 25, 2010 to help avoid any negative impact or feature limitations.

From no plan to phase out 2 months ago to already having this is a fast turn around!

Great now let's move on with the new generation bowsers! Congrats for the move! :laughing:

Geocaching maps (http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx) is not showing any cache icons at all (but caches are listed correctly on the right hand side).

Reproduced with IE 7 and Firefox 3.6.2.

Yes, I can confirm this with IE7 and FF 3.6.2 (will try 3.6.3 in a few minutes) on both Vista64 and Vista32.

It appears to load, but then the page is blank. Not running any Greasemonkey add-ons when testing. Editing to add that "the page is blank" refers to geocaches not showing up. The map displays fine.

Editing again to say that this looks like it's fixed...caches are displaying fine.

Edited by Skippermark

I'm seeing issues with the Trackable Item pages. They display the logs out of order and in some cases are displaying logs for other trackable items. I typed in the code for the same item half a dozen times and got completely different results each time.

Yes, thanks! We're getting on that one.

Uh...I seem to have moved to Idaho without my knowledge. I just posted a note to a TB page and it shows my location in the wrong state.

Domo!!!

Great to have issues fixed.

I also have problems with the TB pages.

The Drop logs and the Retrieve logs are alternated wrongly now for each cache. The drop log should come first & under, and the retrieve log should come next and above. Timeline with newest date on top seems to do okay.

Also, in the TB's map page, all the log's timeline are now backwards; oldest on top, newest at the bottom, resulting in the numbering in the actual map as newest location as #1, not the number of stops in has made.

Hope this get resolved soon.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

Thank you for all the bug reports. We had our iPhone API go offline between about 2am and 5am PDT along with a few other issues that needed to be addressed but we're getting a handle on everything now.

One of the enhancements made in this release is the addition of distributed caching. Performance is better with distributed caching because data is accessed from memory instead of through a database to a disk. The technology is very scalable and resistant to failure. Some of the issues reported in this thread will be resolved when we have configured distributed caching properly. Other bugs we will find and fix asap.

Thanks for being patient with us!

It seems like the Icons are disappearing for some cases . We are looking into it

Thanks

It turns out that one of the web servers was missing a folder with the images. This has been corrected. If you continue to see problems in this regard, please specify which image(s) you are not seeing and let us know what server you are on. You can find out this information by selecting "View Source" in your browser when on the problematic page and looking for text like that below near the very bottom of the page:

<!-- Server: WEB08; Build: TFS.Production_20100401.3 -->

Thanks!

One of the enhancements made in this release is the addition of distributed caching.
It turns out that one of the web servers was missing a folder with the images. This has been corrected.

Thanks Nate & Moun10Bike for the heads up and all the hard work in getting things up and running. We all appreciate your efforts.

Now, for distributed caching, is that going to get it's own type of icon? :sad:

Okay, I know. Bad joke.

Now, for distributed caching, is that going to get it's own type of icon? :sad:

Okay, I know. Bad joke.

It has made for more than a few interesting and confusing conversations around the office, I can tell you that. Not to mention for almost a full day I thought SOSS was something you put on pasta.

On the trackable items page the link formerly known as "Add to watchlist" is now named "Edit This Trackable Item". But besides the confusing text the link does add the TB to the watchlist.

This is still rendering the same for me today. Shows as "Edit this trackable item", but the link associated adds it to my watchlist. Get that Hampster to turn that wheel just a wee bit faster.

The hampsters in the image server wheel must be hungry. It's taking 20 minutes to load a page of images from my gallery, accessed through my public profile.

XP3

FF 3.6.2

High speed cable connection.

Thanks...

Event caches are now showing in user profiles. Thanks for alerting us to this issue.

We still have some other bugs to resolve, including slow images (or missing images for some caches), trackable maps displaying TB hops out of order, and some other small issues that have been reported here in this thread.

We're primarily focused on monitoring site performance over the weekend and will get these other cases resolved early next week. Thanks!

TB problems!

When we try to pull up a TB using the TB page and tag number, the logs listed on the TB page are for a different TB completely. If you refresh the page, it may even change the logs to a different TB, but not the correct TB. The TB is correctly listed in the hand of or cache page on the top ortion of the TB page. Just the logs are all messed up.

When we log it - it does correct the problem for that viewing of the TB page.

This needs to be looked at asap. People may get really confused about what is happening.

The process happens when either entering the tag number or TBID (see TB222QA).

This update sure messed up the TB pages last night and today. Using IE8 on Vista/XP. EVen happening with Win 7 & IE8.

I know that supposedly asking for all the logs on a TB is a load for the DB, it sure is frustrating to have to view 10 logs at a time, to check past history. Why is this anymore load than being able to ask for all the logs on cache pages?

I noticed the same issues with logging TBs today (hi MaxB!)

When entering the tracking number or reference number I get the correct TB info (name, owner, picture, goal, current position) but the logs listed below are for a different TB--it seems to be the same "different" TB each time you search for the TB or refresh the TB page...maybe a search error in the database??

When I log TBs as picked up everything looks normal: the current location on the TB pages lists them as being in my hands, the TBs are in my inventory on my profile page, the picked up line in my daily activity log shows the correct TB name and pick up location. Additionally, when I click on the TB name on my profile page, I am routed to the CORRECT TB page with all of the CORRECT LOGS. If I then search for the same TB by tracking number/reference number I get the same wrong logs on the TB page as I did before. Again, I think this must be an error in the search function for TBs.

I hope that makes sense...

edited to add reference number for one of the TBs I was looking at today: TB33XD7

Edited by tbly

Event caches are now showing in user profiles. Thanks for alerting us to this issue.

We still have some other bugs to resolve, including slow images (or missing images for some caches), trackable maps displaying TB hops out of order, and some other small issues that have been reported here in this thread.

We're primarily focused on monitoring site performance over the weekend and will get these other cases resolved early next week. Thanks!

Does this mean bookmarks will be totally broken all weekend? If you can only see one page, the feature is totally useless.

I am still having the same problems as these two cachers with trackables. 11pm PDT . The newbies in our area are REALLY confused, since the trackable process are confusing enough without this added confusion. I hope it gets fixed soon.

When entering the tracking number or reference number I get the correct TB info (name, owner, picture, goal, current position) but the logs listed below are for a different TB--it seems to be the same "different" TB each time you search for the TB or refresh the TB page...maybe a search error in the database??

When I log TBs as picked up everything looks normal: the current location on the TB pages lists them as being in my hands, the TBs are in my inventory on my profile page, the picked up line in my daily activity log shows the correct TB name and pick up location. Additionally, when I click on the TB name on my profile page, I am routed to the CORRECT TB page with all of the CORRECT LOGS. If I then search for the same TB by tracking number/reference number I get the same wrong logs on the TB page as I did before. Again, I think this must be an error in the search function for TBs.

I see three fixes and one remaining issue so far, thanks!

FIXED - Cache pages loading slowly

FIXED - TB logs showing up in reverse order

FIXED - Event caches not showing up in profiles

REMAINING - Cache types are in random order on profile page.

Bookmark lists are broken and pretty much unusable. There is another thread on this.

Edited by jeanne123

This was a page caching issue. It has now been fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

Bookmark lists are broken and pretty much unusable. There is another thread on this.

I was really hoping that the latest update would correct the current problems with the Bookmarks. Instead, it made it worse.

I was really hoping that the latest update would correct the current problems with the Bookmarks. Instead, it made it worse.

The latest update today fixed the bookmark list issue.

The latest update today fixed the bookmark list issue.

Thank you. It at least back to normal. It still has the long running problem where if you try to display more than 50 you are stuck with a list of 91.

Thanks.

VERY bad "Rate Limit" issues. At least 3 other cachers besides myself in my area are getting those Rate Limit warning pages & a 15 minute time-out after just changing 1 page in 5 or 10 minutes. I was looking at a map that hadn't moved for at least 5 minutes .... changed over to another page & immediately got the error, effectively "banning" me for 15 minutes or so.

After that was over, I reloaded the main page, started navigating back to the map I previously had up, & before I even got there (about 4 clicks), same thing happened again. This flood-control or whatever it is has been set WAY too aggresive.

Edited by AstroDav
Why is loading of the pictures taking so much time? This is a tragedy!!!

Also the server 'banman5.groundpeak.com' is very slow. Cache pages load quickly, but the images - it's a pain!

I've noticed that as well. Painfully slow to load a gallery. I don't know if there is any connection, but forum icons seem slow to load as well. I understand that they ran low on storage space on the image server recently... perhaps the extra drive(s) they added isn't up to par for the job. Just a guess.

New bug, not a big issue but it's out there.

The travel bug pages are listing a total of all logs, regardless of whether they've been archived or not. Our cache counter geocoin should have exactly as many logs as we have cache finds (2528), because we delete all of the logs taking it out of the caches we've visited. Instead, it shows there are 5,073 records, which means it's including all of the archived logs.

Probably related, when I click on the last >> button, it tries to load page 508 (though there shouldn't be one) and I get "Sorry, I was unable to find any records."

Coin page is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...bc-729df384022d

Why is loading of the pictures taking so much time? This is a tragedy!!!

Also the server 'banman5.groundpeak.com' is very slow. Cache pages load quickly, but the images - it's a pain!

I've noticed that as well. Painfully slow to load a gallery. I don't know if there is any connection, but forum icons seem slow to load as well. I understand that they ran low on storage space on the image server recently... perhaps the extra drive(s) they added isn't up to par for the job. Just a guess.

According to Jeremy, the migration to the new server is supposed to take a couple of weeks, so it's likely still in progress.

We're migrating images to new drives over the next couple of weeks. As a result you will see some slowdowns with the image server during high load times like today and tomorrow. Our older drives are at capacity so we need to run the migration in order to keep up with the images being uploaded each day.

According to Jeremy, the migration to the new server is supposed to take a couple of weeks, so it's likely still in progress.

We're migrating images to new drives over the next couple of weeks. As a result you will see some slowdowns with the image server during high load times like today and tomorrow. Our older drives are at capacity so we need to run the migration in order to keep up with the images being uploaded each day.

All this and other changes are fine, but me, as a paying member, it is totally corrupting what I am expecting from payed service. Why should I notice any negative changes when I expect all will run smoothly? If you are at the restaurant, will you accept poor food when you have to pay for it?

... All this and other changes are fine, but me, as a paying member, it is totally corrupting what I am expecting from payed service. Why should I notice any negative changes when I expect all will run smoothly? If you are at the restaurant, will you accept poor food when you have to pay for it?

One of the worst possible comparisons. There could be one or two dozen competing restaurants nearby that you could patronize instead. Geocaching has no practical competition. Yet we still get to complain when they fumble the ball (it does make me feel better to complain occasionally), and they get it mostly fixed eventually. You have very few choices here. Pay or not. Play or not.