Release Notes 4/1/10

OpinioNate

The site will go down this afternoon (PDT), for the regular monthly release.

Apart from the bug fixes listed here, the development team has implemented a number of changes which we expect will improve performance and stability of the site. This being a holiday weekend in much of the world, it is important for us to get new code out in advance of what is expected to be a very busy weekend for Geocaching.com.

The following cases were resolved. Please reply to an existing thread or open a new thread for unrelated bugs or feature requests. Thanks!

Bug in Encrypt/Decrypt code

Page load no longer required to decrypt/encrypt hint

Umlauts and other extended characters modified in cache description

No longer converting extended characters when using HTML in cache descriptions

Text change at report.aspx

Clarified instructions for checkbox, "Yes, this cache is currently active/enabled..."

Geocaching Google Map Hover problem

Link between cache icons and cache list highlighting on google map restored

Server 500 error attempting to save a waypoint with HTML in description

Will now automatically strip HTML from add'l waypoint descriptions

Geocaching.com homepage redesign to include video

Added geocaching intro video to homepage

Dutch version of the Cache Note for Micro Caches

Added new cache note translation

My GPS: Changing sort type does not reset the result back to page 1

Fixed sorting issue in GPS reviews

Password Field is Not Concealing Password Value When Changing Email Settings

Now obscuring password

Log on an event cache is defaulting to "Attended"

Now defaulting event cache logs to "- Select One -"

Navigation points to secure URLs

HTTPS links on Premium Membership pages unnecessarily caused a security warning in IE

Geocaching API: Users must uncheck the "Include Pocket Query name in download file name" box to DL their PQs

IPHONE: Including the PQ name in the GPX file no longer causes download to hang

Jobs link on the "About" page is broken

Updated instructions for inquiring about positions at Groundspeak Inc.

When editing a log immediately after submitting it, "- Select One -" appears twice in dropdown list

Fixed

Allow the year to flip over earlier than midnight of Dec 31 in Pacific Time Zone

Date selector for cache logs updated

Incorrect wording on Edit Listing page

Changed instructions, "Enter any hints or spoiler information below" to "...above"

Cache Note Translation: Català-Valencià

Added Catalan language cache note

Change link at nearest.aspx for Premium Membership

Swapped out link to purchase Premium Membership with one describing PM benefits

Notice re: phasing out browser support

Added notice to site masterpages when user visits in IE6

Profile preview does not accurately display HTML

Profile preview will now render HTML instead of just showing you the raw code

CAaR: Route PQ creation page radio buttons in Firefox 3.6

Disabled form auto-complete for Firefox

Accounts with tall avatar images break bounds of border on Manage Friends page

Avatars auto-resized to 75x75 on friends page

Minor mouse-over text error on TB page

Hovering your mouse over "edit this item" no longer displays "watch this trackable item"

Servers not keeping up with site traffic

Added 14.3 additional hampsters to the wheels, and one "Super Hampster"

I like the Super Hampster.
I'd be happier with hamsters.

If TPTB meant hamsters they would have written hamster. I wish the puritans would stop reading things that aren't there :anicute:

If you can find an unintentional misspelling in one of my posts I will buy you a pony.

We're looking good and shooting for a five o'clock PDT release! Thanks for being patient.

The change to the event log default is especially nice considering how many have already "attended" the upcoming GW and Lost and Found events...at least they have virtually attended through their logs....I guess your life is easier to schedule, and you get a LOT more done, if you can virtually attend stuff!!! :anicute:

Is there any news on when the grabbing of Travel Bugs/Coins will be fixed? I still have a couple of Bugs/coins that say "Legodude_uk grabbed Spinney Crew's Blackpool Tower Geocoin (Blackpool Tower Geocoin) from " and on the coin's page it says that I grabbed it from the last cache it was in not from the last holder.

Site is back up and we're going through some live testing to make sure everything is hunky-dory. Please let us know if you notice anything unusual. Thanks!
I don't believe I've heard the phrase, "hunky-dory" used here before. Thought that was rather unusual.

I'm seeing issues with the Trackable Item pages. They display the logs out of order and in some cases are displaying logs for other trackable items. I typed in the code for the same item half a dozen times and got completely different results each time.

Yes, thanks! We're getting on that one.

I keep getting this message ERROR 404: HTTP_STATUS_NOT_FOUND.This error is due to object ( Super Hampster tangled in wheel.)

:anicute:

Please explain where you are seeing this.

Now it says ERROR 404 FIXED Gerbil removed Hamster cape from wheel! everything is hunky-dory.

Thanks Happy April 1st.

Site is back up and we're going through some live testing to make sure everything is hunky-dory. Please let us know if you notice anything unusual. Thanks!
I don't believe I've heard the phrase, "hunky-dory" used here before. Thought that was rather unusual.

When you use bablefish to translate the term hunky-dory to Minnesotian it comes out as "fer sure".

:anicute:

I noticed that when I go to my public profile and click the "Geocaches" tab, that the order of Geocaches Found has changed after the update. I don't understand the logic behind the order, its not alphabetical, or numerical by finds. Multi caches are listed first, followed by virtuals. Traditional caches are listed fourth, in the middle of the list.

Thanks rtyrie for noticing this

We will enter a bug for this and probably have this resolved soon

Thanks

I noticed that when I go to my public profile and click the "Geocaches" tab, that the order of Geocaches Found has changed after the update. I don't understand the logic behind the order, its not alphabetical, or numerical by finds. Multi caches are listed first, followed by virtuals. Traditional caches are listed fourth, in the middle of the list.

As noted previously, the trackable logs seem to place the newest log on the bottom of page 1 instead of the top and tonight when I posted a note to a TB's page, it showed my location as Kansas in the log even though I'm in Wisconsin.

Edited to include the Soaring Eagle Geocoin-TB2H3K7 link for the trackable referenced.

Edited by Bassanio

I've seen that previously, in regards to the order that the cache types are listed. The ship seemed to right itself the last time but the bug looks to have reappeared.

Bruce

We are especially thrilled over the non new page thing for the encrypt/decrypt. That will save beaucous time.

Also trying to patiently await the TB page corrections. We are not seeing any new logs on our TB page- the most recent showing is over a year old. We only have 2 of 5 TB's left floating out there and one of them is about to meet its first goal traveling from Oregon to Mickey's BackYard in Orlando. That only took 5000 miles of ground travel and nearly two years to get there! We are a bit energetic to spy on its little web page.

Thanks for all the hard work and the quick fixes of all the unusual activity going on out there.... :anicute:

Edited by SuperDiggers

A friend emailed me earlier today (prior to the update) about a problem he was having with IE7 when viewing caches from someone in his friend's list. I was able to verify it with a computer at work that was still running IE7. I forget the exact error message wording, but essentially it was a "Cannot open page" type of message, I think. I don't see any mention of that issue being fixed in this release. Is this a known problem?

I'm seeing issues with the Trackable Item pages. They display the logs out of order and in some cases are displaying logs for other trackable items. I typed in the code for the same item half a dozen times and got completely different results each time.

Yes, thanks! We're getting on that one.

Uh...I seem to have moved to Idaho without my knowledge. I just posted a note to a TB page and it shows my location in the wrong state.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

loads a blank page. I like the clean look.

No more guidelines!!!!

Anything goes!!!!!

My "O'Hare International Airport Taxiway Series" is good to go!!!!!

dance.gifdance.gifdance.gifdance.gifdance.gif

Is this another one of those power trails that clog up my PQ's? Some how I don't think keycases stuck to the taxiway lights much of a challenge. But I'm sure if you have more than 563 Ventura Kids will go set another world record.

Thanks rtyrie for noticing this

We will enter a bug for this and probably have this resolved soon

Thanks

Also, if I click on the "events" icon, the list of events I've attended is not shown. The list of found caches for all the other cache types seem to work fine.

Sorry I started a new thread instead of listing it here. I was able to view caches and maps about an hour ago but now though I can do most everything else on the website I can't view any cache pages or maps. Tried both Firefox and IE and even rebooted the computer. It just comes up totally white like it wasn't done loading but it says it is "done" and no other sign it wasn't done. Help I can't check my caches or log caches in.

Umlauts and other extended characters modified in cache description

No longer converting extended characters when using HTML in cache descriptions

Finally! Thanks.

It will still be a fair amount of work for the cache owners to go through all their caches to replace HTML entity codes with the normal character i UTF-8 format but at least it is possible to get it right now.

iller