Blackberry 8530 Curve

This is probably a problem I should be discussing with Blackberry, but I thought I'd run it by you folks.

I got a Blackberry Curve 8530 several weeks ago. I am still learning the ins and outs, but for the most part I've been happy with it.

One problem I've encountered. I can go to the main page of Geocaching with no problems. But after I do a search and individual geocaches are listed, the browser will not take me to the individual geocache site. The browser says its requesting, loading, requesting, loading, but it seems to be in a loop and the page never loads. The reason I bring it up here is that I have NEVER had that problem with any other website.

I suppose I could find another browser. Any other suggestions?

I was reading some posts on the Blackberry Forums and seemed to find a fix. It was suggested to disable Javascript and see if the pages in question would load and Bingo!! it worked. So I changed the browser configuration. On mine I hit the Blackberry key while at the browser and select options, then Browser Configuration, and disabled the 2 choices for JavaScript. After doing that the individual Cache pages loaded with no problem. I imagine that change will mess with something else, but it is not that hard to change back.

Another suggestion was to use Opera Mini Browser, but there was a comment that it was really slow.

So, anyhow, that's what I found.

I downloaded the latest firmware for the curve and everything loads up with java enabled. Problem now is, some of the links don't work, as in the next page when viewing PQs. Errrrg...

BTW, check out Blackstar, very cool free, geocaching application for 8530 Curves and other BBs with GPS functionality.

Edited by Chuy!

I have a similar problem with my Curve 8530. I have downloaded Blackstar successfully and am able to access the 20 closest caches with no problem.

I am having problems downloading pocket queries and using them with Blackstar. I am able to email the PQ to myself, open and download it to my blackberry. When I go to the second step with Blackstar, I cannot find the down loaded PQ.

If I go to the media file and explore, the gpx file is there in a zipped form.

How do I get that gpx file over to Blackstar, so I can open up and look for the other caches. I am also confused about the connection between bcaching and Blackstar.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sue

I have a similar problem with my Curve 8530. I have downloaded Blackstar successfully and am able to access the 20 closest caches with no problem.

I am having problems downloading pocket queries and using them with Blackstar. I am able to email the PQ to myself, open and download it to my blackberry. When I go to the second step with Blackstar, I cannot find the down loaded PQ.

How do I get that gpx file over to Blackstar, so I can open up and look for the other caches. I am also confused about the connection between bcaching and Blackstar.

Sue

BlackStar requires the file to be unzipped. You CAN request the file not be compressed file when you run the PQ, but it will result in a larger file being sent, more data charges if you do not have an unlimited plan. Or you can unzip it on your computer, then transfer the file with USB cord.

But the option I prefer is bcaching.com. You can set up a free account on bcaching, then send all your PQs there and you can always load the 20 closest caches from bcaching with one menu click.

Sue

BlackStar requires the file to be unzipped. You CAN request the file not be compressed file when you run the PQ, but it will result in a larger file being sent, more data charges if you do not have an unlimited plan. Or you can unzip it on your computer, then transfer the file with USB cord.

But the option I prefer is bcaching.com. You can set up a free account on bcaching, then send all your PQs there and you can always load the 20 closest caches from bcaching with one menu click.

I couldn't get bcaching to work so I now use Locify - it will search for your nearest caches and navigate there. You can also use offline maps.

Another app I use is trekbuddy - with this and Mobile atlas creator I've created OS maps for the whole of the UK.