New World Record: 1,856 caches in 24 hours.

SE7EN

Just woke up from recovering from my new World Record attempt and couldn't wait to crow about it!

I can't show you a map of the caches because they're not all published here. By far, most are published over on terracaching.com. As most of you know TC.com doesn't have any rules restricting how close caches can be to each other. A friend and I organized this attempt. He placed each and every one on his own and published each one using an automated system. His sponsors were so kind to hold their noses and look the other way while hitting the "Approve" buttons. (We had to use TC.com because we don't have the connections at Groundspeak to bend the rules like other people can.)

How it was done was a feat just in itself. We raided every Walmart film kiosk for miles to get 2,000 film cans. The easy part was buying the survey markers flags. Next we taped a film can to flag wire part just below the flag itself. Then cut strips of paper to put in the film cans.

Then my buddy (I'm not going to say his name because of all you naysayers out there) took almost a month of placing and publishing the caches. In the meantime, I found an old mail carrier Jeep because it's right hand drive and stocked it with an extra 32 gallon tank and a cooler for Redbull drinks--gotta have fuel for the Jeep and me! I bought another GPS because the one I had couldn't hold all those caches. I mounted a laptop and wired the GPS's to 12v so I didn't have to worry about batteries. Thankfully the Jeep still had the flashy yellow lights, they would come in handy.

Instead of signing the logs or even using stickers, I used a self inking stamp custom made with "7's Record Attempt on March 31, 2010"

I started at midnight on State road 27. The caches were placed about 50 feet apart and about 12 inches off the black top. I made pretty good progress, but after a couple of hours I started to cramp from all the bending over to get the film cans. Next time we're going to make the flags taller.

Also, what slowed me down was actually having to push buttons on the GPS for each next cache. Next time it's going to be automated somehow. My mind is too fried right now to figure out how.

So, there you have it. I've far surpassed any other attempt at the most caches found in any one 24 hours. Also, kudos go out to my buddy who has made the fastest geocaching course ever devised. I feel confident that these two records will stand for a long time.

Don't know why you took it to TC.com instead of here. We have no "rules" just ask around!

Could you post the starting or finishing coords?? My kids have a go-cart I think would put someone in the perfect position to run your trail. Also... are stickers allowed? Because I have converted an old supermarket price marking gun to slap stickers on the outside of the film cans??

I reeeeeeally think with a good sugar buzz going I could do 1,857, maybe even 1,858!!!

1,856? That's nothing. I have 23,447 finds in the last 24 hours. I found a cache with a very large logbook and used a self inking stamp to "sign" my name over and over. In between each signature, I turned my head around so that I can look back and find it again.

I'll be back to talk more about my record run after I'm back from the chiropractor for neck, elbow and wrist pain.

Don't know why you took it to TC.com instead of here. We have no "rules" just ask around!

Could you post the starting or finishing coords?? My kids have a go-cart I think would put someone in the perfect position to run your trail. Also... are stickers allowed? Because I have converted an old supermarket price marking gun to slap stickers on the outside of the film cans??

I reeeeeeally think with a good sugar buzz going I could do 1,857, maybe even 1,858!!!

That'a true. It could be done as a 2500 stage Multi where the CO allows multiple find logs(one for each stage)

Geeze!!! That is awesome. I hope that I can at least come close to that some day. Next time, (if there is a next time), you might want to try marking the outside film cannister with a paintball gun instead of going through all the work of stamping the log.

I'm going over to tc.com right now and sign up for an account. I had no idea that they were not bogged down with "guidelines" that keep caches exclusionary! Thanks for the tip!

1,856? That's nothing. I have 23,447 finds in the last 24 hours. I found a cache with a very large logbook and used a self inking stamp to "sign" my name over and over. In between each signature, I turned my head around so that I can look back and find it again.

I'll be back to talk more about my record run after I'm back from the chiropractor for neck, elbow and wrist pain.

You better check that again.... I deleted one because you didn't climb the 147 ft tree in a chicken suit before you logged it. You now have 23,446. Unless you appeal!!

Just woke up from recovering from my new World Record attempt and couldn't wait to crow about it!

I can't show you a map of the caches because they're not all published here. By far, most are published over on terracaching.com. As most of you know TC.com doesn't have any rules restricting how close caches can be to each other. A friend and I organized this attempt. He placed each and every one on his own and published each one using an automated system. His sponsors were so kind to hold their noses and look the other way while hitting the "Approve" buttons. (We had to use TC.com because we don't have the connections at Groundspeak to bend the rules like other people can.)

How it was done was a feat just in itself. We raided every Walmart film kiosk for miles to get 2,000 film cans. The easy part was buying the survey markers flags. Next we taped a film can to flag wire part just below the flag itself. Then cut strips of paper to put in the film cans.

Then my buddy (I'm not going to say his name because of all you naysayers out there) took almost a month of placing and publishing the caches. In the meantime, I found an old mail carrier Jeep because it's right hand drive and stocked it with an extra 32 gallon tank and a cooler for Redbull drinks--gotta have fuel for the Jeep and me! I bought another GPS because the one I had couldn't hold all those caches. I mounted a laptop and wired the GPS's to 12v so I didn't have to worry about batteries. Thankfully the Jeep still had the flashy yellow lights, they would come in handy.

It's kind of like kissing your sister. Or Claiming a FTF on your own cache. What's the point? :laughing:

Instead of signing the logs or even using stickers, I used a self inking stamp custom made with "7's Record Attempt on March 31, 2010"

I started at midnight on State road 27. The caches were placed about 50 feet apart and about 12 inches off the black top. I made pretty good progress, but after a couple of hours I started to cramp from all the bending over to get the film cans. Next time we're going to make the flags taller.

Also, what slowed me down was actually having to push buttons on the GPS for each next cache. Next time it's going to be automated somehow. My mind is too fried right now to figure out how.

So, there you have it. I've far surpassed any other attempt at the most caches found in any one 24 hours. Also, kudos go out to my buddy who has made the fastest geocaching course ever devised. I feel confident that these two records will stand for a long time.

Geeze!!! That is awesome. I hope that I can at least come close to that some day. Next time, (if there is a next time), you might want to try marking the outside film cannister with a paintball gun instead of going through all the work of stamping the log.

I'm going over to tc.com right now and sign up for an account. I had no idea that they were not bogged down with "guidelines" that keep caches exclusionary! Thanks for the tip!

Don't want to burst your bubble or "harsh your mellow" but I had a CO contest my paintball splat because it was not clearly legible. I assured him my caching "team" name was ^%*&*)%$@##>?<@ but he didn't buy it.

Wow!! That's super duper impressive! All hail SE7EN the new world caching record holder. :laughing:

I started at midnight on State road 27.

I feel confident that these two records will stand for a long time.

Now hold on a minute. I LIVE on Hwy27. I saw that guy out in front of my house making those caches. So I followed him every day until I noticed that he had hid the last one. So I started from THAT cache & worked backwards. It took me 23h 52m 17s to find all 1,856 of them.

But I'm smart you see. (A genious actually) I KNEW that SOMEONE would find all of these caches then try to claim a record. So shortly after I started, I called my wife on the cell-phone, told her to start up a GC acct under her OWN name, then go down to our driveway & hide a cache.

When I was done with the big trail, I headed home really fast, zoomed into the driveway, claimed FTF on HER cache, with 3 seconds left on the clock. So 1,85SEVEN caches in 24 hours. Take that!

Does this put briansnat's Geocacher of the Decade award in jeopardy?

Nevermind, it doesn't. I'm in nearly continuous contact with one of the Society of USA Geocaching Enthusiats (SOUSAGE) board members (Brian's aunt) in my attempt to rectify the 2003 outcome. She's admamant that only records witnessed by certain board members (at the cacher's expense) will be considered. NOW she tells me that had I offered to host her 2003 Disney World trip, things would be "different"....

Does this put briansnat's Geocacher of the Decade award in jeopardy?

Nevermind, it doesn't. I'm in nearly continuous contact with one of the Society of USA Geocaching Enthusiats (SOUSAGE) board members (Brian's aunt) in my attempt to rectify the 2003 outcome. She's admamant that only records witnessed by certain board members (at the cacher's expense) will be considered. NOW she tells me that had I offered to host her 2003 Disney World trip, things would be "different"....

Thanks for sharing that information, now. It's a bit late. I could have used that little bit of info BEFORE I went to the trouble to find the 2506 caches this weekend in a bid to capture the 24 Hour Not-A-Record World Record and status as Geocacher Of The Decade.

I guess she's still miffed about getting stiffed out of her Disney World trip so now she wants an all-inclusive trip to Alaska to geocache with some of the reserve satellite signals they have.

She says that if I had paid appropriate graft respect before I made that run that it would have been recognized. Now I'm so bummed that I'm not even going to log any of the 2506 caches... without those titles it's just not worth it. :anicute: