Please don't hog the GPS signals

Clearly, you are all deliberately avoiding mentioning the real problem here. I'm surprised the people in Las Vegas and California have not brought this up - but that crazy group of of people who just broke the world record for caches found in one 24 hour period are a clear symptom of this.

The problem is large groups caching power trails. Imagine, if you would, just how much signal they are consuming. And it is out in the desert, so it's prime quality signal, too, not the poor degraded type those of us caching in forests and around buildings get. I would like to propose an amendment to the guidelines stating that on power trails, only ONE person may bring a GPS, or all logs will be deleted.

Which brings up another point - but it seems to have wandered off, I'll report back when I find it again.

Simple solution is for everyone to turn on WAAS (We All Are Sharing) This lets your GPSr share the signal with other units. If your GPSr doesn't support WAAS, you should really do the responsible thing and upgrade soonest.

I turned WAAS off. I'm entitled to use that signal without the degradation caused by sharing it. Just wait your dadgum turn!

I thought WAAS a feature that made your GPS more accurate but at the cost of more battery usage?

Simple solution is for everyone to turn on WAAS (We All Are Sharing) This lets your GPSr share the signal with other units. If your GPSr doesn't support WAAS, you should really do the responsible thing and upgrade soonest.

I turned WAAS off. I'm entitled to use that signal without the degradation caused by sharing it. Just wait your dadgum turn!

I thought WAAS a feature that made your GPS more accurate but at the cost of more battery usage?

No no no, it is a feature to make your GRPr less accurate at the cost of battery life.

Unless you have a crappy GPSr, then one again, your gaining accuracy from other peoples signals making them less.

I suggest you get a Mio and hack it to use signal sipper, then you don't have to worry if they turn WAAS on or not.

Perhaps we need a national clearing house of GPS time run by the government! If you wanna cache or otherwise use a GPS device you must first submit a satellite usage plan to the GPS oversight committee for approval. Of course, priority would be given to those folks that can't afford a GPS. Accordingly, if one of those folks needs a GPS, thenearest GPS owner will have to loan theirs to the unfortunate GPS-deprived citizen. Of course, this will create a dire need for an increase in F.A.R.T. levels to pay for the program.

Maybe have a machine for each cache that you need o put a quarter in to get the cache. It wouldn't take long to buy an extra satellite or 2. Swiz

The no solicitations guideline would prevent such a cache from being published. But I like what you're suggesting.

Don't worry. There's a soda machine right nearby that you can put your quarter in instead. And it comes with a free logbook.

I really hope you are joking? Just assuming you are not joking, radio waves do not work like that lol <_< Just like, oh let's just say DirectTV satellites. There is no cap on the number of receivers.

BUT, I am sure this was just a post in humor, so I posted this truly assuming that this was a humorus post. :laughing:

Walter

Radio signals are closely related to light waves... many of the same physical laws are interchangeable.

You should try a Topeka search (formely or temporarily Google) on Darksucker technology. This is the same problem with GPS... which correctly stands for Global Positioning Sucker...

Doug

I can envision a system of cache and trade, where GPS minutes can be bought and sold on the open market.

Doesn't the Signal Offset market already exist? You buy Signal Credits from tribes living in the rainforest who have no use for GPS. But I thought they're for only companies at the present. Maybe Groundspeak can represent us and buy a block for distribution here. Obviously platinum members will get first dibs.

No no no, it is a feature to make your GRPr less accurate at the cost of battery life.

Unless you have a crappy GPSr, then one again, your gaining accuracy from other peoples signals making them less.

I suggest you get a Mio and hack it to use signal sipper, then you don't have to worry if they turn WAAS on or not.

Very good explanation of WAAS. I was actually a little foggy on exactly what it did before reading this.

It's sort of like the geocaching equivalent of taking the bus to work vs driving solo in your car. Not as convenient or efficient, but you are helping everyone out in the long run. However, if you have no other means of transport, taking the bus is faster than walking. That's why WAAS increases accuracy of crappy GPSrs.

Request for clarification!!!!

If you use TWO Gpsr's do you get double the alloted time or do you use your allotment up twice as fast?? I asked on another thread, but got no answer.

If the allotment is based on the GPSr I foresee a serious increase in the crime of GPSjacking at trail intersections, by FTF hounds who cannot help their addiction, and have turned to the "dark side" to support their habit.

I put a bottle of my excess signal up for sale on ebay and the bid is already up to $2,000 dollars. I have it in a little bottle dipped in holy water so it can't escape. Anyone here who is interested I would be willing to part with the other 50 bottles I have for $200 each. (preimum members only deal)

I should add that these are not bootleg signals. They are high quality signals that I reclaimed from my broken GPS while I was unable to use it. The process of reclaiming these signals takes some very expensive equipment. I had to build a special lead lined room to trap the signal inside. The bottles are high quality medical bottles that once held very expensive infertility medications or the saline solution that you mixed them with. I put the bottle on top of a magnetic specter-nomiter (yes the same one used for trapping ghosts) and my 2 ½ year old who is a prodigy violin player played Beethoven’s 5th or 15th or something like that, I know nothing about music, to coax the signals close enough to be pulled in and trapped in the bottle. Please be aware that once released all signals must be used within 5 hours or they will disperse and risk being used by another cacher in the area. Or worse someone using their GPS to navigate home.

Edited by wolfslady
I was out yesterday and on my 10th find it said I have reached my quota for the day and if I wished to continue my accuracy would drop to +- 100ft.

Yeah, I've gotten that too...I think that's why so many caches these days are attached to stuff (like transmission towers, and lamp poles in parking lots) where you can make out the location from the map. Then +- 100ft works okay.

But at least I'm not bitter!

Riffster, take a bath, then we'll slow roast you and find out if that's true....

Mmmm, something smells like bologna.

If you use TWO Gpsr's do you get double the alloted time or do you use your allotment up twice as fast?? I asked on another thread, but got no answer.

It should be obvious that the more GPS receivers you have, the more signal you're slurping up. However, since the normal way of tracking usage is through the receiver, if you obtain another user's receiver, you can use it after you've used up your allotment, and no one would be any wiser if you don't mention it in the forums or logs.

Can someone please attach a link somewhere about this topic. I am very confused and would like to know more about this. Is this a joke? I read a couple of post down that someone said they reached their cache limit for the day? Theres a cache limit?

Don't worry about it dude, BMs get to leach from inactive PMs.

I am not going to be a BM for long.

Ohhh... BM stands for Basic Member.

Nevermind...

It should be obvious that the more GPS receivers you have, the more signal you're slurping up. However, since the normal way of tracking usage is through the receiver, if you obtain another user's receiver, you can use it after you've used up your allotment, and no one would be any wiser if you don't mention it in the forums or logs.

Maybe we can get a software update that uses the "sharing" feature of some current GPSr's (like the Colorado) to allow one receiver to share with others in parallel, so that only one receiver is needed to actually receive the sat. signal, and the others just mirror the first.

the software update could be numbered - 04.01.2010

Edited by doingitoldschool

Can someone please attach a link somewhere about this topic. I am very confused and would like to know more about this. Is this a joke? I read a couple of post down that someone said they reached their cache limit for the day? Theres a cache limit?

I am not going to be a BM for long. I am planning on hiding my first cache this weekend. And I would like it to be a PM cache. So this is serious then? So basically theres only so many satelites in the sky right. And each one only has the power to link up with lets say 1000 Gpsr's. So what it boils down to is that is getting harder and harder to hook up with the satelites with more and more Geocachers useing up all the signals?

Today is April Fool's Day....so look back & think about this string again. :laughing:

I'm developing a device that allows GPS receivers to return each satellite's signal, allowing it to redistribute the signal to other receivers. There are some glitches with the timing, but I'm sure I'll have it worked out soon.

Then I'll begin work on a signal multiplier. It will return the signal from each satellite to all visible satellites. Then the more people that use the system, the more signals that will be available. It'll help offset the signal hogs using old-style receivers.

If you can't get a GPS satellite lock, it's my fault.

Every time that I detect any unused GPS satellite bandwidth, I crank up my satellite signal soaker upper and there ain't any left for anyone.

I do however turn it down during the hours of 0100-0400 PDT daily, except Saturdays.

I'm developing a device that allows GPS receivers to return each satellite's signal, allowing it to redistribute the signal to other receivers. There are some glitches with the timing, but I'm sure I'll have it worked out soon.

Then I'll begin work on a signal multiplier. It will return the signal from each satellite to all visible satellites. Then the more people that use the system, the more signals that will be available. It'll help offset the signal hogs using old-style receivers.

Nice idea, but wouldn't a signal multiplier simply provide an increase in the number of signals in inverse proportion to a decrease in signal strength? You can't get something for nothing, my momma always said.

Nice idea, but wouldn't a signal multiplier simply provide an increase in the number of signals in inverse proportion to a decrease in signal strength? You can't get something for nothing, my momma always said.

Simple fix...build a signal amplifier into the multiplier!!!

:laughing:

Instead of rationing I think there should be a usage fee/tax. Perhaps one that increases the more you use the signal. like the first hour is really cheap, say a nickel. Next hour is 20 cents. Third hour a dollar, then $5 and so on. The people that are setting new find records and other stuff that are really hogging down the signal will need to be really rich... but at least the money will keep the system going.

I was confused for a while here. I thought maybe this was some sort of joke. See, there are only 3 to 4 million geocachers in the world. I couldn't see how we could possibly be to blame for any signal shortage. There are umpteen million auto GPS devices being used all day every day. You know, "turn left, turn left", and all that. With possibly 50 million people in America alone using their auto GPS to guide them to the nearest Tim Horton's right at this minute, it's obvious where the signal shortage is coming from. A total ban on auto GPS use is the only way to prevent the entire satellite sytem from crashing down. Literally, if everything I've read is true.

But, my argument is null, because, as I said, I was confused. I had entirely forgotten that handheld off-road use GPSrs use a separate proprietary "SignalBrand" satellite system. Now, with such a limited number of birds in the air, the shortage does make sense to me now. I don't see how Groundspeak can possibly resolve this without a massive increase in Premium Membership fees. Gonna have to cut back on forum bandwidth usage, too. Some of you forum regulars are pretty long-winded.

Actually, that makes me wonder. Is it possible to bounce excess bandwidth to the satellites? I'm not technically-minded, but I should think with a really big slingshot we may be able to buy ourselves some time until a permanent solution is formulated.

Instead of rationing I think there should be a usage fee/tax. Perhaps one that increases the more you use the signal. like the first hour is really cheap, say a nickel. Next hour is 20 cents. Third hour a dollar, then $5 and so on. The people that are setting new find records and other stuff that are really hogging down the signal will need to be really rich... but at least the money will keep the system going.

Were you by chance formerly employed by ATT?? :laughing:<_<;)

edit to add- If more people would participate in "armchair logging" instead of insisting on going out to actually find caches , this would be a non-issue. Geezz it ain't rocket surgery. Like the simple answer to Health Care.... just don't get sick!!

Edited by NeecesandNephews

You know what makes me sick? You know what makes me so mad I just want to mud-wrastle a thirty-foot python?

This here shortage of signals, is what.

We deserve better from our gubmint. My two Delorme EarthMates, Garmin eTrex, iPhone and Blackberry need a lot of signals. Good UHMERIKIN signals, not some cheap forrin imported signals. I don't think five GPS receevers is too many, it's my God-given right as an Uhmerikin to suck up use all of the signals I want.

What we need is an ObamaSignalCare Re-form to address this here critical issue. I've heard that there are plenty of unused signals up there in Alaska just waiting to be received. We should tap into this valuable resource of home-grown Uhmerikin signals now, before this here whole satelite thing goes overseas and we're all forced to receive only subsidized furrin knock-off signals.

Wake up, Uhmerika!

with apologies to Earl Pitts, Uhmerikin.

You know what makes me sick? You know what makes me so mad I just want to mud-wrastle a thirty-foot python?

This here shortage of signals, is what.

We deserve better from our gubmint. My two Delorme EarthMates, Garmin eTrex, iPhone and Blackberry need a lot of signals. Good UHMERIKIN signals, not some cheap forrin imported signals. I don't think five GPS receevers is too many, it's my God-given right as an Uhmerikin to suck up use all of the signals I want.

What we need is an ObamaSignalCare Re-form to address this here critical issue. I've heard that there are plenty of unused signals up there in Alaska just waiting to be received. We should tap into this valuable resource of home-grown Uhmerikin signals now, before this here whole satelite thing goes overseas and we're all forced to receive only subsidized furrin knock-off signals.

Wake up, Uhmerika!

Oh your talking about then signals that only cost 50¢ a day per laborer to produce, that only stay dirt cheap long enough to knock home based competitors out of business before they triple our original price.

Then we get sick of it and they start getting produced over here again but the double the price once again just because now they are paying for MADE IN THE U.S.A. stickers.

And it turns out all along that the same corporation is producing both.

GREEDY COOPERATE TYRANTS!

I can't believe how many of you dadgum antenna huggers there are that geocache! Don't you realize that the signal shortage was created by the Obama administration? It's just a way for the government to gain control over the geocaching industry.

If anyone is interested I have a line on cloned GPSrs. Use up all the signal you want. Looks like someone else is doing it. Just remember, if you get caught you didn't get 'em from me!

Oh yeah, and please make sure to wash your hat.

Ack! :laughing:

How would you recognise me? :anicute:

And Jerry, don't even get me started on Socialized signal use.

The concept of taking bandwidth from the wealthy, just to hand it over to the poor is a recipe for class envy.

I dunno. Maybe we would know you from the shaggy ammo can stuck to your back?

This guy says he thinks Socialized signal use is a great idea!

Take signals from the rich and give them to the poor!

robin.jpg

Edited by Stargazer22

They could just line up all of the satellites in a perty little row and beam them straight to earth. Line them up so that everyone gets a good 2 hours worth of caching everyday instead of everyone, all the time. the whole world over. I'm also doing my part to help cut down on waste. I've cut down all the trees within 50 feet of my caches and painted the caches hunter orange to cut down on wasted time hunting for them. Of course some guy with a forest ranger badge had a major fit. I just told him to stick to his little patch of the woods and let me do what I need to do to help this global matter. some people just have no sense of priorities. Swiz

I am not going to be a BM for long. I am planning on hiding my first cache this weekend. And I would like it to be a PM cache. So this is serious then? So basically theres only so many satelites in the sky right. And each one only has the power to link up with lets say 1000 Gpsr's. So what it boils down to is that is getting harder and harder to hook up with the satelites with more and more Geocachers useing up all the signals?

Don't worry, you can download free signal from Pirate Bay. Assuming no one turn the internet of...........<signal lost>

Will this effect Hamstercaching? Swiz

Darn right it will...we start to lose the signals becuase of overuse...no more hamster caching...those poor things will end up all alone...no more visitors...

:anicute:

I don't have a hamster, can I substitute a mouse instead?

( I am dissapointed you failed to mention the indisputable truth! "Hippies are dangerous, Kyle".

Hmm. I remember my roots. My town has been described on the Groundspeak web site as a Hippie Town. But since I like to think of myself as a dangerous type of person I will let that one go for now.

I am just relieved that President Obama has proposed the Off-Shore Satellite Signal Recovery Program to take advantage of all the satellite signals that are just falling on the ocean. By building more platforms we can deflect those signals back to the land where they are needed the most. Problem solved.

I am just relieved that President Obama has proposed the Off-Shore Satellite Signal Recovery Program to take advantage of all the satellite signals that are just falling on the ocean. By building more platforms we can deflect those signals back to the land where they are needed the most. Problem solved.

Not really. Have you read the proposal in detail, especially the part on how it will be financed? There will be special taxes on ammo cans and hamsters. It's an outrage, I tell you!

Not really. Have you read the proposal in detail, especially the part on how it will be financed? There will be special taxes on ammo cans and hamsters. It's an outrage, I tell you!

Hey aren't you supposed to be solving Kablooey's puzzle :anicute: