From witness post to the actual marker

HJS

From the benchmark description "1.5 FEET SOUTHEAST OF A METAL WITNESS POST, AND ON THE TOP OF A 4 FOOT COPPER COATED STEEL ROD THAT IS ATTACHED TO A METAL BASE PLATE. THE DISK IS 3 INCHES BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE GROUND AND ENCASED IN A 6 INCH CONCRETE PIPE THAT IS 3 INCHES BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE GROUND."

I was at the witness post, which is just inside the treeline. Reading the description, is the marker buried under ground where you'd have to dig? If you dig down 3 inches, would you find a concrete slab with the marker in it?

I guess scraping the surface wouldn't get you close.

Now I said I was at the witness post, but my notes were to vague to start looking. This was my 3rd unsuccessful try to find a survey disk, so bear with me if my ?? isn't all that smart.

Help in translating this is appreciated. I think after I have seen a couple of these the description will get clearer.

Thanks

I would say the decision on whether or not to dig would depend on the area you are in, the type of ground you are on, and the type of marker you are looking for. In this case, its hard to imagine how digging 3-6 inches in one spot with a shovel or spade could do any damage. If you are in an area where there may be gas, power, phone or water lines, its a good idea to probe first. Even where there are no utility lines, its still a good idea to probe first, to save yourself the effort of useless digging. In ground that is too hard for a probe or a shovel, a pick may be used. A short, delicate, chipping stroke should be used, rather than full swings. This is to avoid damaging the marker, and in order to avoid blowing yourself up by puncturing a gas line.

Witness posts, like other reference objects, cannot always be relied upon. Many of them have been knocked over and pounded back in at a different spot. I have known some that were knocked down several times, put back in different places, and wound up a long way from the marker. Construction crews doing grading work often knock them out accidentally or through carelessness, sometimes along with the marker, without ever realizing it. Then the construction boss comes along, sees the post laying on the ground, and pounds it back in where he finds it or about where he thinks it was, hoping nobody will notice and they will not get blamed for the destruction. But by the time he finds it, the bulldozer may have dragged it hundreds of feet from its original location. I have also known them to be moved in areas where there was no construction activity, by property owners, off-road enthusiasts or vandals. So finding a witness post is not a definite indication of whether or not the marker still exists.