Birdseye support for Oregon (3.30) and Colorado (3.30)

allory

Still think they should take the QA guys (or whoever does the regression testing) and stick THEM in the seats to answer calls today as their penance for releasing this code!

I can tell I've been using Facebook too much lately, as my brain was immediately screaming, "'Like' it! 'Like' it!"

Sadly though, I don't think you can really blame the QA guys for this. It all seems so horribly flawed that I think only management/business could have made the poor decision to release...

I can tell I've been using Facebook too much lately, as my brain was immediately screaming, "'Like' it! 'Like' it!"

Sadly though, I don't think you can really blame the QA guys for this. It all seems so horribly flawed that I think only management/business could have made the poor decision to release...

I can't even imagine knowingly going out with code that kills all of the street names. They would have HAD to know that it was going to be a train wreck. Naw -- I'd find another job before I'd let someone push that kind of work out the door. Gotta think this came as a total surprise to them (sadly).

FWIW: As of this writing, the Garmin tech support line still advises that they have an "unusually high call volume", a wait time of over 30 minutes, and suggest calling back at another time. At first I got to thinking that it might just be the call volume that's causing this. Then I got to thinking... I bet all of the tech support personnel are out in the parking lot with ropes having a QA lynching, and just aren't around to answer the phones! :)

Edited by ecanderson

It's been mentioned in another thread, but the update for the Dakota's seems to have a faulty "save current track" routine (causes the unit to shutdown) and I've been seeing some sporadic weird things out of the GPS - the compass screen seems to be affected most of all. For example, yesterday I parked in the parking lot next to a trailhead. The cache was .2 mile down the trail. I got out of the car, moved away from it to an area w/ a clear view of the sky, did the compass calibration dance, and started towards the cache. The distance to cache read 32 feet...odd. I kept moving and with every step the distance to the cache *increased* even though I was moving towards the cache. At around .1 mile the distance reading stabilized.

Hopefully there will be an update soon, looks like the Dakota users get to beta-test a new firmware *and* new GPS chipset firmware as well!

Still not getting WAAS signal locks even with the new firmware.

It's been mentioned in another thread, but the update for the Dakota's seems to have a faulty "save current track" routine (causes the unit to shutdown) ...
Is the problem description that simple? Perhaps my test tracks haven't been long enough, or ??? So far, I haven't been able to break my Dakota 20 at 2.80 while saving a full current track. Where was that other thread?
It's been mentioned in another thread, but the update for the Dakota's seems to have a faulty "save current track" routine (causes the unit to shutdown) ...
Is the problem description that simple? Perhaps my test tracks haven't been long enough, or ??? So far, I haven't been able to break my Dakota 20 at 2.80 while saving a full current track. Where was that other thread?

The other thread is here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=245973

It hasn't been very active. There are a few more reports in this thread:

http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/message...w/home/22297425

I was attempting to save a ~98 mile track of a day's travel. Plenty of room in the internal storage (my maps are on a microSD card).

Have you made any screenshots? Would you post some that you found helpful.

Here is one. Pretty much what you would expect.

194.jpg

Sweet image... How I miss those 'clean' images from the Colorado!

Oregon has superimposed 'transparent' buttons all over it B) If only a fix could come out to remove them. I know where the ZOOM in, ZOOM out and CLOSE buttons are, I don't need reminding! I've only pressed 'em about a thousand times!

Jon

The tech support issues continue, but at least the system isn't recommending calling back another day. Wait time as of the moment ... 30~35 minutes. Guess they got done with the QA lynching yesterday and are back on the phones again today, trying to clean up the mess. I'd hate to be in their shoes / seats.

I just assume the images are the same ones used on GE. I seriously doubt that there are multiple sources of up to data aerial photographs, at least around here.

Anyway, the images are good enough to add a lot of useful information when caching.

For my location in Albany, NY the BirdsEye imagery is from Digital Globe, and is much better quality than what Google Earth is using from the NYS GIS Clearinghouse imagery. The resolution and true color is better in BirdsEye. At least this is true in my local area.

And, I see a marked difference in using Highest vs High in the Detail Level option, with Highest being better resolution of course. For the same geographic area the Highest level uses 3 times the number of images (tiles) and is 3 times the file size. I also notice each Highest tile area is 1/4 that of High.

Check. Here is a screenshot from Google Maps. Most definitely the same photo...

GE.jpg . 194.jpg

Two more questions:

1. The GE photo is noticably darker than your screenshot. Is Garmin doing something to lighten the images?
  2. Your screenshot shows "13 Ave NW", what is the source of that text?

Thanks, I'm learning a lot.

And, I see a marked difference in using Highest vs High in the Detail Level option, with Highest being better resolution of course. For the same geographic area the Highest level uses 3 times the number of images (tiles) and is 3 times the file size. I also notice each Highest tile area is 1/4 that of High.
That knowledge in table form with attached areas and file sizes would make your excellent comments crystal clear.

Thanks

1) The GE photo is noticably darker than your screenshot. Is Garmin doing something to lighten the images?

2) Your screenshot shows "13 Ave NW", what is the source of that text?

1) I would suspect they do. Dark backgrounds make screen visibility much more difficult.

2) Topo Canada Version 4. I'll try and remember to get a shot tonight that shows more of the vector maps and POIs overlaying on the aerial images.

1) I would suspect they do. Dark backgrounds make screen visibility much more difficult.
Totally agree, another reason the $30/yr is worth it.

2) Topo Canada Version 4. I'll try and remember to get a shot tonight that shows more of the vector maps and POIs overlaying on the aerial images.
Because the text was centered, I thought it was a vector overlay. Garmin map? Transparent? Would these rasters load in my Nuvi?

OK, so after upgrading my Oregon 300 to 3.70 and trying out BirdsEye I noticed that when going into map setup and enabling it in any profile will enable it in all profiles. Likewise if I disable it it will be disabled in all profiles. This does not seem right. I was hoping to have one profile set up just for BirdsEye just as I have one set up for custom maps etc. I e-mailed Garmin and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I would be happy to help you with this. I experimented with three

different units (Oregon 450, 300, and Dakota 20). Once I disabled the

BirdEye on each of the devices, then it was disabled on all three unit

will all profiles.

Unfortunately, it looks as if this is how the unit is designed. I

apologize about this inconvenience.

With Best Regards,

xxxx

Is this really how everyone else's Garmin's are? I had someone say that it was not globally set on their 550. Just trying to get to the bottom of this. It just does not seem right to me to have this set globally.

I have a Oregon 450 and have also lost all street names. I contacted support (email) and the first person I conversed with seemed to have no idea this was a bug or anything. After a bit of back and forth, during which the conversation switched to a new person (shift change?), and linking them to a few forums where this issue is discussed, the new person acknowledged that they were aware of this issue. His recommendation was to roll back to the old firmware (and lose birdseye functionality) and wait for a fix to be posted - or - have both firmware's ready on my machine and switch between them based on my need. The latter didn't really seem to offer much, as you can't really do that "in the field". Unfortunately I often use streets to orient myself if I am in an area that I am unfamiliar with, so it is somewhat vital to my usage needs.

The thing that sort of bugs me here is that I subscribed and that subscription times out in a year (if I understand this correctly). If I roll back and don't use birdseye, I am paying for a time based service that I can't leverage. I inquired as to whether or not I could roll back and put my subscription "on hold" until I can actually use the service - to which I got a curt "no". Bleh. Sometimes early adoption can be frustrating, but most often (in my experience) the vendor makes a little attempt to make things right by extending the service (if it is a "time out after X days service" model) until they "get it right".

I can also live with minor bugs, but street names not appearing is pretty major in my opinion.

Hopefully they'll fix this issue soon and this won't be a big deal (i.e. I won't lose 2 months of my 12 month subscription waiting) - but I am a little bothered by their handling of the issue thus far. It's still early though, so my fingers are still crossed.

I have a Oregon 450 and have also lost all street names. I contacted support (email) and the first person I conversed with seemed to have no idea this was a bug or anything. After a bit of back and forth, during which the conversation switched to a new person (shift change?), and linking them to a few forums where this issue is discussed, the new person acknowledged that they were aware of this issue. His recommendation was to roll back to the old firmware (and lose birdseye functionality) and wait for a fix to be posted - or - have both firmware's ready on my machine and switch between them based on my need. The latter didn't really seem to offer much, as you can't really do that "in the field". Unfortunately I often use streets to orient myself if I am in an area that I am unfamiliar with, so it is somewhat vital to my usage needs.

The thing that sort of bugs me here is that I subscribed and that subscription times out in a year (if I understand this correctly). If I roll back and don't use birdseye, I am paying for a time based service that I can't leverage. I inquired as to whether or not I could roll back and put my subscription "on hold" until I can actually use the service - to which I got a curt "no". Bleh. Sometimes early adoption can be frustrating, but most often (in my experience) the vendor makes a little attempt to make things right by extending the service (if it is a "time out after X days service" model) until they "get it right".

I can also live with minor bugs, but street names not appearing is pretty major in my opinion.

Hopefully they'll fix this issue soon and this won't be a big deal (i.e. I won't lose 2 months of my 12 month subscription waiting) - but I am a little bothered by their handling of the issue thus far. It's still early though, so my fingers are still crossed.

Is this an OR specific issue?

Clearly street names do appear on the CO:

194.jpg

Overall I agree with your rant, but you are an early adopter and as we've seen time an again, Garmin uses early adopters as beta testers.

2 steps vs 8+ by my count

It is an Oregon versus Colorado problem. On an Oregon, enable/disabling maps takes a lot of steps, so profile changes are much quicker. On a Colorado, you can enable/disable directly from the map screen, so profile changes are not needed.

And, yes, the street name problem is just the touch screen models. I have not seen any problems with the firmware on the Colorado.

My Colorado 300 is not showing street names either, no matter what map or what settings.

I have tried using Birdseye imagery for the first time today and it worked quite well. Satelite images definitely add many useful details.

The only problem are washed out colors. There should be option to control contrast, brightness and perhaps saturation and gama like you can with every photo editing software. One-size-fits-all approach chosen by Garmin is producing inferior results.

In ideal case it would be possible to control these settings ad hoc on the unit but that would probably slow the painting too much. Second option would be a setting in BaseCamp which would control this. The images would have to be adjusted before being sent to the unit and optionally also when displayed on computer (not sure if basecamp is using any hardware acceleration).

Download speed is also pretty horrible (at least without subscription).

All in all, $30 for year subscription seems well worth it and I am going to buy (if only to support further development). There is definitely room for improvement though.

Btw. it raises question of available memory. I currently have 4GB card in my Colorado topped up with City Navigator, National Parks Topo, 24K West, 24K SouthWest and Topo 2008, is there anyone out there successfully using bigger SD card?

This raises another issue: I wonder if MapSource will ever support multiple img files or at the very least allow saving .img files to the harddrive.

Edited by Tomas4x4

Even with subscription, although a bit better, it is still pretty bad.

I agree. I know it is a load of images, but it is SO slow, and BaseCamp does not do a good job letting users know what it is doing, when it is doing something. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to shut down because it was "thiniking" or "not responding". taht is at home and the office (XP and Vista) It works, but s l o w

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to shut down because it was "thiniking" or "not responding". taht is at home and the office (XP and Vista)
Simply open Task Mgr > Processes (Cntrl-Alt-Del), click on the User Name column, Basecamp will appear and you can tell if it's active.

And, yes, the street name problem is just the touch screen models. I have not seen any problems with the firmware on the Colorado.

Hmmm, I hadn't paid much attention to this at first, but today I happened to see something that confused me... My Oregon 400t was displaying road names (from my City Navigator 2009 NT - North America SD card version). To be sure I wasn't imagining things, I took a screen shot:

1804.jpg1922.jpg

I need to double-check the firmware version number I have, but I last updated right around 01 April, so I should have the same level as everyone else...

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to shut down because it was "thinking" or "not responding". that is at home and the office (XP and Vista)
Simply open Task Mgr > Processes (Cntrl-Alt-Del), click on the User Name column, Basecamp will appear and you can tell if it's active.

I do, and is is active, but "not responding".

Btw. it raises question of available memory. I currently have 4GB card in my Colorado topped up with City Navigator, National Parks Topo, 24K West, 24K SouthWest and Topo 2008, is there anyone out there successfully using bigger SD card?

I find download speed OK. Probably around an hour for the max files (20000?, 300MB). Seems reasonable.

I use a 16 GB card with currently around 10 GB of vector maps and 1 GB of Birdseye. No problems.

any news on an update to cure the "no street name' issue afte rthe latest updates? I am looking for an update from Garmin...
Only to revert to the previous firmware until it's fixed. I started a thread pointing to the prior level of code for Oregon and Dakota models down there somewhere VVV

Here is one. Pretty much what you would expect.

194.jpg

Clearly street names do appear on the CO

Hmmm, I hadn't paid much attention to this at first, but today I happened to see something that confused me... My Oregon 400t was displaying road names (from my City Navigator 2009 NT - North America SD card version). To be sure I wasn't imagining things, I took a screen shot:

1804.jpg1922.jpg

So the CO & OR will display street names when certain mapsets are used, I noticed that those were both routeable maps (TOPO CA v4 & CN 2009 NA). What are the mapsets used that don't display the names, the ones bundled with the T models?

[so the CO & OR will display street names when certain mapsets are used, I noticed that those were both routeable maps (TOPO CA v4 & CN 2009 NA). What are the mapsets used that don't display the names, the ones bundled with the T models?

I wish it was true, none of routable maps on my Colorado 300 is showing street names (CN, Topo 24k West). The conditions under which it does/does not show seems to be more complex than that.

Edited by Tomas4x4

Well I've confirmed on my Oregon 550 that while using beta 3.26 I'm able to download and display Birdseye Imagery. I've also got my street names and my daily archiving back. So for now I'm sticking with 3.26 until a standard release comes out that still has all of these features.

Good to know. Is it still set globally? On in one profile means on in all profiles and off in one is off in all?

Interesting thing - I opened MapInstall and reselected every area for all the maps I have loaded on the GPS and installed all the maps all over again (took 14 hours !!), but when that was done and I fired up the GPS I had street names again.

Note: I have a Oregon 450 that had no maps preloaded from Garmin. Using OSM and terra files from GPSFileDepot and now BirdsEye.

Anyway, I'd be curious if someone else who has lost street names could try and see if reinstalling all their maps fixes it?