Birdseye support for Oregon (3.30) and Colorado (3.30)

allory

Oregon x50 (WebUpdater) software version 3.30

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

* Added support for Garmin BirdsEye.

* Added mmHg pressure units.

* Added support for Riyadh time zone.

* Added ability to change active track color.

* Added option to calibrate screen under Setup->Display.

* Added custom waypoint symbol and geocache symbol support.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

Dakota (WebUpdater) software version 2.80

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

* Added mmHg pressure units.

* Added support for Riyadh time zone.

* Added ability to change active track color.

* Added option to calibrate screen under Setup->Display.

* Added custom waypoint symbol and geocache symbol support.

* Corrected issue with GPS acquisition on certain units.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4527

Colorado (WebUpdater) software version 3.30

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

Edited by allory

Dakota didn't just get unit firmware upgrade from 2.70 to 2.80 ... new Cartesio firmware moved from 3.20 to 4.25. WAAS behavior is interesting if not just downright strange.

Initial lock is STILL miserable. Sees 51 gangbusters here, still can't get data more then 1 attempt out of 5. When it is going to get it, it's bizarre. You get Ds on the other bars indicating correction is taking place about 30 seconds or more before the 51 bar goes green.

Appears to be improved once locked. Shading the device to block 51 until zero bar doesn't mean that it has to go through the entire dance again. Unblock and 51 pops right back as green -- if you had it in the first place.

Don't upgrade if you are using Garmin Discoverer maps and want to still view icons & track logs, as they don't display! :laughing: I think us Discoverer map owners keep getting the short straw from Garmin - they don't seem to test new WebUpdates with Discoverer maps! I could forgive 'em if this was with BETA releases, but this is a pukka release!

This problem affects both the Colorado 300 and Oregon 550 that I have tested it on!

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

The Colorado 3.3 update fixes the transparent map problem now. Icons for waypoints and geocaches now display ON TOP of transparent maps.

Also note - Birdseye imagery seems to be available for INTERNAL MEMORY only, no SD Card downloading. I picked an area just bigger than Metropolitan Toronto and ran out of device memory to put it in. Not sure I'm interested in the low res Birdseye for geocaching ... so I am envisioning a lot of downloading.

From GPSFix forums the general tone is NOT to upgrade your 550 to 3.30. Some of the prior beta options wrt Track archiving aren't there as well as map overlays and nothing for WAAS issues (may come later in April/May)
If tracks don't hurt, there does seem to be a minor improvement for WAAS. If you shadow the unit so as to lose your WAAS connection (e.g., turning around so your body entirely blocks a view of the satellite), turning back brings the WAAS back up pretty much immediately. As far as I can tell, that's an improvement, however minor --- like I said above, you actually have to HAVE a lock first before it matters, and that's no better than before.

Hope you're right about April/May. I wonder how long a typical Garmin beta cycle lasts before code releases, or if they're really on any kind of schedule. The WAAS beta fix has been going on for a bit now.

How dramatic was the jump in GPS chip firmware for the Oregon models? Same as the Dakota? Going from 3.20 to 4.25, I was expecting some dramatic performance changes. Didn't see much.

How dramatic was the jump in GPS chip firmware for the Oregon models? Same as the Dakota? Going from 3.20 to 4.25, I was expecting some dramatic performance changes. Didn't see much.

I don't believe the GPS software upgraded from 3.70

Interesting. I'm guessing the Dakota jump to 4.25 had something to do with this:

* Corrected issue with GPS acquisition on certain units.

but what that means, one can only imagine. Why "on certain units"? I have never heard that there were any hardware differences between different production dates of the Dakota series. Hmmm...

I updated my CO 300 to firmware v.3.30 and noticed I no longer could view cache descriptions. Oh, No! I tried re-installing v.3.30 twice with same results. Luckily I had saved v.3.20 and went back to that and all is working well once again. Anyone else having issues?

My comment only related to the Oregon 550 unit
Understood. Only the Dakota seems to have received the GPS firmware chip tweak. I was just commenting that it was odd that they seem to think that only certain of the Dakotas are impacted by the problem and the fix. Strange. One wonders if there are multiple variations on the Cartesio chip out there in the Dakota (and perhaps Oregon) units, or ???

I updated my CO 300 to firmware v.3.30 and noticed I no longer could view cache descriptions. Oh, No! I tried re-installing v.3.30 twice with same results. Luckily I had saved v.3.20 and went back to that and all is working well once again. Anyone else having issues?

I updated my 400T and had no problems so far. In fact it looks like they have finally fixed the problem with transparent maps covering stuff like geocaches up.

Did you try deleting your caches and then reloading your caches? There have been updates in the past tjhat require the reloading of your caches. So I would delete your caches, run the update, and then load your caches

I updated my 400T and had no problems so far. In fact it looks like they have finally fixed the problem with transparent maps covering stuff like geocaches up.

Did you try deleting your caches and then reloading your caches? There have been updates in the past tjhat require the reloading of your caches. So I would delete your caches, run the update, and then load your caches

Thank you myotis!! That's what is was. This forum and all its members are the best!

When I tried using the update on my Oregon 550, the street names on my maps did not display, including in the Garmin CityXplorer maps not just the ones I downloaded from GPSFile Depot. When I downgraded back to the 3.20 SW version, the street names reappeared. On the other hand, the birdseye maps worked. Still, seems a bit buggy for a non-beta release.

When I tried using the update on my Oregon 550, the street names on my maps did not display, including in the Garmin CityXplorer maps not just the ones I downloaded from GPSFile Depot. When I downgraded back to the 3.20 SW version, the street names reappeared. On the other hand, the birdseye maps worked. Still, seems a bit buggy for a non-beta release.

Updating my CO 300 I see all the street names. On Topo 2008, NY Topo from GPSDepot, and City Select NA v.7. Could your user settings have been reset within the Setup/Map/Options/Advanced/Street Label upon updaating? Just a thought.

Garmin Birdseye is out. can't test it right know because my laptop is WinXP SP2 and you need SP3. :anicute:
I really doubt if SP2 matters, clearly a test is in order.

It does. BaseCamp 3.0.1 won't install on XP if you don't have SP3 installed.

Also note - Birdseye imagery seems to be available for INTERNAL MEMORY only, no SD Card downloading. I picked an area just bigger than Metropolitan Toronto and ran out of device memory to put it in. Not sure I'm interested in the low res Birdseye for geocaching ... so I am envisioning a lot of downloading.

Once you've created a BirdsEye map right click on it, select Send To and select your SD card.

I have the same issue with street labels on my Dakota and both Oregon's. Will submit this to Garmin.

Thanks G-O-Cashers for notifyig GArmin. :anicute:

Also, I think the limit to the size of each downloaded area is NOT you or your computer or the room on your device...if you look at the dialog box when you are selcting your area and the resolution etc...it refers to the server size limitation....not your memory free.

It seems like there are already a bunch of people that have submitted the street name bug to Garmin. The more people that report it the better. It should make them look into it faster. I did last night but have yet to get anything back from them. We'll see what happens and how quick.

Edited by bigbad401

It seems like there are already a bunch of people that have submitted the street name bug to Garmin. The more people that report it the better. It should make them look into it faster. I did last night but have yet to get anything back from them. We'll see what happens and how quick.

On the plus side, my 550 is showing 'D's' on the sat page for the first time ever. Looks like this has added support for EGNOS at last. :sad:

Garmin tech support is closed for Good Friday.

:sad: Nothing like putting out a inadequately check-out defective product before your going to be closed.

Gotta agree with you there. Not great timing for a pretty big release.

Rush to get it out before it is ready! Hopefully they have thousands of emails on Monday to go through and release something very soon to fix this.

All you have to do is "cut" the "BirdsEye" folder from internal unit memory and paste it onto your SD card. It will load.

All you have to do is "cut" the "BirdsEye" folder from internal unit memory and paste it onto your SD card. It will load.

I just saw the cut/paste method for getting Birdseye onto SD cards over at the Garmin forums and tried it out. Fortunately, you don't have to cut the entire folder, as it takes *a long* time to transfer to the device and then to the SD card (so you don't have to do it all at once). Works though.

No problem with the upgrade on an Oregon 200. The imagery looks really good under Windows7 on my little

eeePC netbook, but less so on the Oregon. The Oregon screen just doesn't have the brightness I think it needs for the imagery to be usable outdoors. Even on an overcast rainy day here and 'inside' near the windows, it's close to invisible.

I thought all was going good, updated my Colorado, then basecamp, then grabbed a birdseye area that finally wasnt too big, but boot up the gps and first thing it says is invalid birdseye file....

Did you pay for the subscription? It will let you transfer to the device without a subscription, but they wont be useable.

I thought all was going good, updated my Colorado, then basecamp, then grabbed a birdseye area that finally wasnt too big, but boot up the gps and first thing it says is invalid birdseye file....

Did you pay for the subscription? It will let you transfer to the device without a subscription, but they wont be useable.

Ah, thought you could get a "free sample" since you couldnt even get a sub like yesterday...my bad i kinda wanted to see what it looked like on the gps before I did that. Will have to think about it I guess, thx

it worked fine for me on the Oregon 200 without a subscription. Try it again.

I received the 'Invalid Birdseye File' error when I transferred the Birdseye data onto the SD card rather than my Oregon's internal memory. Putting it onto the device worked without issue for me. Also, once on the device, I was able to cut/paste the Birdseye directory from the device and onto the SD card and then use it without getting the error.

I received the 'Invalid Birdseye File' error when I transferred the Birdseye data onto the SD card rather than my Oregon's internal memory. Putting it onto the device worked without issue for me. Also, once on the device, I was able to cut/paste the Birdseye directory from the device and onto the SD card and then use it without getting the error.

Yes this is what I did, I put it straight to the SD and got this error, when I tried to copy to the device itself it then actually said you can get a smaller demo file to try.

Ooooo.... OUCH.... Ugly. Apart from the day after Christmas, I've not heard of Garmin's telephone tech support system reporting indeterminate and >30 minute waits before, but that's what it's saying today.

Still think they should take the QA guys (or whoever does the regression testing) and stick THEM in the seats to answer calls today as their penance for releasing this code!