The Red Banner(tm) is back!

Chrysalides

Just noticed the red banner on the main site, scheduled downtime on April Fools afternoon.

Small suggestion : since people from all over the world use the site, perhaps mentioning the time zone would be helpful? Though by now most regulars know that you mean Pacific time, there are newcomers joining the activity all the time.

Hoping for some fixes that are important to me. Good luck, guys.

Just one wish to the red banner - would it be possible to indicate even approximate time also in UTC?

We are UTC -8, and will remind you in the banner when we have a solid time to report.

Edit: Actually UTC -7 now that we're in daylight savings time. We added this little bit of detail to the current banner. As I said, tomorrow we'll have an actual time for you.

Edited by OpinioNate

Thanks for the warning. This is another example of cachers helping cachers.

Don't know whether this is a UK only issue, but taking the site down / upgrading the day before a holiday weekend (4 days without work) might not be considered to be the "best" time to perform scheduled maintenance!!

(Mind you, there are worse times, and the warning in advance is appreciated!!)

Matt

Don't know whether this is a UK only issue, but taking the site down / upgrading the day before a holiday weekend (4 days without work) might not be considered to be the "best" time to perform scheduled maintenance!!

Good Friday / Easter is not a holiday in most U.S. companies. I know it is observed in some countries but it didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it.

Edited by Chrysalides

Good Friday / Easter is not a holiday in most U.S. companies. I know it is observed in some countries but it didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it.

Wow, you amaze me - I think of the US as being the Christian heartland, so assumed Good Friday would at least be a holiday to allow individuals to recognise the most important period of the Christian calendar!

Good Friday is a bank holiday in Britain as is Easter Monday (particularly useful for consuming large quantities of chocolate eggs!).

Happy Easter!!

Matt

Edited by teamhillside

Wow, you amaze me - I think of the US as being the Christian heartland, so assumed Good Friday would at least be a holiday to allow individuals to recognise the most important period of the Christian calendar!

Good Friday is a bank holiday in Britain as is Easter Monday (particularly useful for consuming large quantities of chocolate eggs!).

In the United States (which is predominantly a Protestant nation and therefore does not observe Good Friday as strictly as a traditionally Catholic country) Good Friday is not a government holiday at the federal level; individual states and municipalities may observe the holiday. Private businesses and certain other institutions may close or not for Good Friday, according to their preferences. The stock market is closed on Good Friday. However, the vast majority of businesses are open either full or half day on Good Friday. The postal service operates, and banks regulated by the federal government do not close for Good Friday. Some schools and universities close for Good Friday, but the day often may fall during spring break.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday Edited by dakboy

well thats news to me (about the US holiday)...i just assumed...here in Nova Scotia Canada, Good Friday is mandatory holiday...stores are back open on Saturday (to refill the beer fridge?) then closed again....some things are open on Monday but not everything...

anyway back OT...as long as the update goes smooth (ish) should be no prob getting ready for the morning for a weekend of caching...but then again I am self employed so weekends don't usually mean time off...lol

In the United States (which is predominantly a Protestant nation and therefore does not observe Good Friday as strictly as a traditionally Catholic country) Good Friday is not a government holiday at the federal level; individual states and municipalities may observe the holiday. Private businesses and certain other institutions may close or not for Good Friday, according to their preferences. The stock market is closed on Good Friday. However, the vast majority of businesses are open either full or half day on Good Friday. The postal service operates, and banks regulated by the federal government do not close for Good Friday. Some schools and universities close for Good Friday, but the day often may fall during spring break.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

Interesting, I may amend the article as it implies that the UK (which is "predominantly a Protestant nation" also) should not choose to observe GF as a public holiday.

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by teamhillside

I know that many countries (UK included?) have holidays that are fixed by the government. Over here, there are holidays that the federal government observes, holidays that the state government observes (usually a superset of the federal holiday) and holidays that private companies observe. They overlap mostly, but not always.

For example, Columbus Day is observed by few companies. Same for Martin Luther King Day. Private companies sometimes don't operate on Christmas Eve or Day after Christmas, if Christmas falls near (or on) a weekend. The day after Thanksgiving (a.k.a. Black Friday, the day where people stand in line for hours before the stores open to grab bargains) is a holiday for most companies, but government (and post office) employees have to work.

I think the main reason Good Friday and Easter is not observed is this whole separation of church and state thing. Of course, it doesn't explain why "In God We Trust" is printed on all dollar bills, and why the pledge of allegiance says we are "one nation under God".

Anyway.. sorry for the OT. I see that there's no fix for time zone in field notes. I'm sad.

Happy Easter!!

Matt

The US likes to to believe they are a Christian Country. To tell you the truth most people got to church to make themselves feel good. Its herd to find a real God fearing person nowadays. Don't get me wrong I not trying to say I'm a saint. I have just as many problems as anybody else + a couple more.

Noah

1 of cachensfun