Scenic Cashes

Hi All,

I only heard of goecache on the gadget show a few weeks ago and didnt give it another thought, well i was around at my mates on saturday and we spoke about it, the more we spoke about it the better it sounded, so on sunday i downloaded the iphone app and searched for a local cache, one came up about a mile from my house, so i got my girlfriend and our 4 year old girl and went on the hunt, well we found it (cheers Suebedz)and we really enjoyed it and i have now got the bug. Well yesterday i even ordered some travel bugs, i havent hid a cache yet i will wait abit for that, i presume i can take my travel bug to a cache and drop it in theirs and then follow the progress (after registering it)?.

Anyway as you now know im a newbie and after finding a local one i want to drive out somewhere and find one, i live in birmingham and we only want to go out for the day so dont want to travel miles and miles,im looking for a scenic one maybe in the country side,although as long as the scenery is nice and the walk is nice (not to rugged as we will have our little girl with us) i dont really mind.

Anyway any advice would be greatfull

Cheers.

Hi villain, and welcome to the sport!

Probably the best thing to do is put your home coordinates into your profile (many people shift them to a nearby roundabout or junction or some such, to avoid having their home address easily identifiable). Then you can search the nearest caches to your home coordinates and see them on Google Maps.

Once you've got Google Maps open you can scroll around the map and, as long as you don't try to display more than 500 caches at once, you can zoom in and out as much as you like, with the map showing the locations of caches. That lets you pan the map to an area you might like to explore, see where the caches are, look on the satellite view to see if there's parking nearby and go from there.

Hi All,

I only heard of goecache on the gadget show a few weeks ago and didnt give it another thought, well i was around at my mates on saturday and we spoke about it, the more we spoke about it the better it sounded, so on sunday i downloaded the iphone app and searched for a local cache, one came up about a mile from my house, so i got my girlfriend and our 4 year old girl and went on the hunt, well we found it (cheers Suebedz)and we really enjoyed it and i have now got the bug. Well yesterday i even ordered some travel bugs, i havent hid a cache yet i will wait abit for that, i presume i can take my travel bug to a cache and drop it in theirs and then follow the progress (after registering it)?.

Anyway as you now know im a newbie and after finding a local one i want to drive out somewhere and find one, i live in birmingham and we only want to go out for the day so dont want to travel miles and miles,im looking for a scenic one maybe in the country side,although as long as the scenery is nice and the walk is nice (not to rugged as we will have our little girl with us) i dont really mind.

Cheers.

Good luck on your hunt, do not get to addicted... I agree put your home coordinates in and also read the logs if your looking for scenic ones. The ones with VERY good reading are normally the best...

There is a big debate about caches and what makes a good one... Do a few before you set one, you will find there are types/ places you enjoy more than others....

Personally I like bigger hides (ammo Box's they are out there) and places of interest but it takes all kinds, find what you like THEN set one is my advice..

With travel bugs they rarely come back some travel wide and far others vanish in months, weeks or sadly even days. So nothing you would be upset to loose.

Do not send anything TOO big cache box's are tending to get smaller and big TB's (travel bugs) are getting harder to move on. Also sounds daft but drill a hole in the bug to attach it, this way if some one takes a fancy to the item its already got a hole in it and although still good as a travel bug its not much good as anything else...

I am sure there are many more pieces of advice coming your way...

Enjoy your addiction!

Edit Spelling and English and grammar...

Edited by GerritS

Hi Team Tisri,

I have even got a garmin etrex vista to be delivered O) i love this sport already as you might of guessed, so when it arrives i will get my coords like you say and do that, its a great idea, but until it arrives if anyone has any good ones please let me know, Thanks alot for your help Team Tisri.

Hi All,

Cheers.

I come from the Blackcountry but didn't find out about caching till i moved to Wales.

But saying that I do go home as much as i can and find a few caches.

I found some lovely walks along the canal last time I was there with loads of caches, so maybe you could look into that?

We have quite a few canal's around that way.

Not out in the country I admit, but near enough to take a nice little walk with your little girl away from the hustle and bustle of Brum!

Just an idea ......

Hi FantasyRaider

Cheers, my first cashe was down a canal, as you say there are plenty of canals to choose from round here, was hoping to get out a little further.

Im off to wales on holiday for a week soon to Barmouth and have already looked up some to find there, hehe this is addictive.

I've yet to cache in or near Barmouth although my family have a caravan near Shell Island.

Look out for a couple of new caches around there by my mate Surfski ....

And have a great time!

Why do all the West midlands folk go to Barmouth for their Holls? lol

:laughing:

Hi Villain,

As previously suggested searching locally on your post code will bring up more than enough to keep you busy. Or you could try coming to my neck of the woods (south Birmingham!!) Plenty of good caches in the Clent Hills, along the canals around Bromsgrove, Lickey Hills or further south around Worcester and the Malverns.

RB

KRO! :laughing:

Welcome!

I'm a newbie too. I've found 20 and hid my first one last weekend.

It seems there are loads of different caches - something to suit all.

I've enjoyed the church multi-cache series and that's what I've chosen to hide.

It's a great hobby, something one can enjoy alone, but feel part of a larger community too.

Hi Villain

With the incredible boom in cache placement it can be really tough picking out the scenic caches. We find it quite useful to check out any photos in the Gallery and have often chosen which caches to attempt on the strength of previous visitors' piccies.

Rubery Blue's suggestions are very good. Perhaps I could suggest that you "go west, young man" if you would be prepared to head towards Shropshire. Bridgnorth is a picturesque little town and there are some scenic caches in the Severn Valley Country Park and a couple of series at Dudmaston not far away. If you check out caches placed by LollyBob many of them are in fun containers which I think your little girl might like.

We've both lived in the West Midlands for over 50 years and have never been to Barmouth! :laughing: Are we missing out on something?