protective gloves for geocaching

jeep53

While geocaching recently, I was somewhat reluctant sticking my hand into the rock crevices in front of me. I was wondering what type of glove to use that would protect from cuts, abrasions, etc. But also maintaining finger dexterity! The fear of needles also comes into play.

Edited by jeep53
Seriously, though, I'm interested in the pat-down gloves. Any suggestions on where to get them from? I'm mainly interested in gloves that offer some protection but still offers enough sensitivity to the fingertips.

I have no experience with the pat-down gloves but you described Mechanix to a T. I bought them originally for working on cars, and found that it was easier/better than working bare-handed - still had the sensitivity required, but my hands were well-protected.

If you're worried about critters that bite, duty gloves (also called pat-down gloves) are your best option. Look for a Kevlar lining. It's there to stop knives and needles, but will stop fangs, too.

Mechanix gloves are good for avoiding skinning your knuckles while turning wrenches, but they don't have any with Kevlar. I could add that they're bulky, ugly and pricey, but that's just my opinion.

Nice those gloves with the chain mail coat I'm getting, nice.

You can get the full set, coif and shirt, from the same store. It's aluminum, but I've had it on good authority that you definitely don't want to wear one made of steel. Oh, and wear something soft underneath :rolleyes: You'll still need greaves and boots to complete the set.

Oh, and remember to stay indoor during thunderstorms :laughing:

I have no experience with the pat-down gloves but you described Mechanix to a T. I bought them originally for working on cars, and found that it was easier/better than working bare-handed - still had the sensitivity required, but my hands were well-protected.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll see if I can find them in the local hardware store.

Edited by Chrysalides

I have 2 pair in my pack - an all leather gardening pair, and a neoprene/cloth pair. I don't use them often, but they sure come in handy when I do. I agree with above too - never blindly put your hands into crevices and holes. Always probe with a stick first. Even a squirrel can give you a nasty bight.

While geocaching recently, I was somewhat reluctant sticking my hand into the rock crevices in front of me. I was wondering what type of glove to use that would protect from cuts, abrasions, etc. But also maintaining finger dexterity! The fear of needles also comes into play.

Got mine at Home Depot

If you're worried about critters that bite, duty gloves (also called pat-down gloves) are your best option. Look for a Kevlar lining. It's there to stop knives and needles, but will stop fangs, too.

Mechanix gloves are good for avoiding skinning your knuckles while turning wrenches, but they don't have any with Kevlar. I could add that they're bulky, ugly and pricey, but that's just my opinion.

Normal search gloves (pat down gloves) won't stop needles! And likely won't stop fangs either, so I wouldn't depend on them for that. Kevlar in most duty gloves is an open mesh weave fabric and as such will resist most cuts from a sharp edge, but a needle will pass right through! I use mine almost every day, and am still often wary of needles on any of my "clients". :sad:

For needle "resistant", and thus likely fang proof too, you will have to go with something like TurtleSkin gloves. I believe that are a much tighter weave of kevlar, but are also very expensive.

Better a stick swiped around in the hole first :)

Normal search gloves (pat down gloves) won't stop needles! And likely won't stop fangs either, so I wouldn't depend on them for that. Kevlar in most duty gloves is an open mesh weave fabric and as such will resist most cuts from a sharp edge, but a needle will pass right through! I use mine almost every day, and am still often wary of needles on any of my "clients". :sad:

For needle "resistant", and thus likely fang proof too, you will have to go with something like TurtleSkin gloves. I believe that are a much tighter weave of kevlar, but are also very expensive.

Better a stick swiped around in the hole first :)

I stand corrected. Not all kevlar gloves are needleproof. Some are though. To find those, use search terms like "needleproof" and "puncture resistant".

Truth is, I don't use either. I use gloves sometimes if I'm worried about the cache location, but I just use plain old leather gloves. I also worry that poking around with a stick could stir up a nornet's nest-- literally.

I think I'll start a thread about critters and caches, and how to handle them.