Unable to record log on site

Geofellas

I have been trying to log a completed cartridge for over a week now - when hitting the "Submit Log" button I always get this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Could not find stored procedure 'spaw_UPDATECartridge'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not find stored procedure 'spaw_UPDATECartridge'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException (0x80131904): Could not find stored procedure 'spaw_UPDATECartridge'.]

AWObjectBase.Update() +590

controls_LogControl.UpdateDB() +136

controls_LogControl.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +294

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

At first I assumed this was going to get fixed quickly but it has been over a week.

I have rebooted my machine but it keeps happening.

Is it actually possible to record logs any more?

You are uploading the GWS file, right?

If so, please send me the save file. If I can reproduce it, I can send it up to Groundspeak.

No actually - this is not happening on the cartridge upload, it is on the log page

>>

Wherigo Home > GO Wherigo Stouffville Line > Create New Log Entry

Record Log for GO Wherigo Stouffville Line"

<<

I can still send you the file if you think it will help - can you PM me with the e-mail address to send it to?

Thanks

Odd that someone either removed or misspelled a stored proc. You think someone misspelled the prefix?

Yes - that's what I figured. I also, however, figured that it was odd that this had been giving this problem for over a week and that no-one else had experienced it, ot maybe no one else reported it. Perhaps they were all doing the same as me and expecting someone else to report it?

Reported this problem about a month ago to Groundspeak. I received a confirmation email but no follow up since. I still see the problem each time I try to enter a WG log, via Firefox 3.5, 3.6 and IE 7 or 8. The stored procedure error makes sense.

Hopefully they will pay more attention to Ranger Fox :anicute:

Edited by Geofellas

For problems with the site, I give them at most a week to respond. If I don't hear anything, I will escalate it, then keep asking.

I'll do all I can for this community. We haven't been given much over the past two years, but we've done well with what we have and even made our own tools.

For problems with the site, I give them at most a week to respond. If I don't hear anything, I will escalate it, then keep asking.

Hi RF

Well - it's been 12 days since you reported this to TPTB and the problem still exists. Time to rattle some cages perhaps?

Thanks for all you do for this community

Edited by Geofellas

Hi RF

Well - it's been 12 days since you reported this to TPTB and the problem still exists. Time to rattle some cages perhaps?

Thanks for all you do for this community

I apologize. Part of that was my fault for not sending the follow-up email promptly. I have sent it and will notify the community of any response.

Thank you for pursuing this.

(Gee... that sounds awfully official and formal this time.)

TPTB seem awfully silent :) :) :)

Actually, I just sent them a third email a moment ago, then clicked through the link I had included in it and read your post today, Geofellas. We must have the same sense of timing. So, yes, nine days after the second email, I sent a reminder.

This is very unusual I don't receive something. Such is the role of the middle-man: you're trying to help the masses and yet the only thing you can do is remind the people in charge.

Oddly enough, someone created a log for this cartridge, so I guess the problem isn't seen with everyone.

I received a reply:

Sorry for not responding right away. We're a bit bogged down on the geocaching side of things at the moment so realistically we won't be able to check on this until next week. I will get it documented and try to have a dev look at it asap. Thanks for letting us know!

Please don't hold them to "next week".

So I take it is a site wide issue? I've been trying to log 2 Wherigos I completed today and keep getting a server error. I was also getting the server error last night when searching for one of them but finally found a link on the page that worked so I could download it.

It's a site-wide issue, but it seems some other cartridges can be logged. Also, there is a problem with the site's search page. Darned if I know what happened there or why.

After work today, I'll have an opportunity to call Groundspeak about these two and other things.

Update: I arranged the meeting for Wednesday afternoon/evening (late night if you're in Europe). Time zones are wonderful: I can talk to someone in Groundspeak after my work ends, but while they're still at work.

Hi again - so that was Wednesday just over 2 weeks ago. Were you able to get the meeting? Did you get any indication from TPTB that they actually care?

Yeah, and I sent the steps to reproduce on Friday night. I know they care about having a working site. As for other indicators, I'd prefer to tell the community only if I have something definite and tangible.

I received this in an email last night (9PM EST):

Thanks for the repro steps. I have submitted a bug to the dev team and I hope to have this fixed *very* soon. I'll keep you posted.

It's interesting that this bug has not been fixed yet. I kept trying to submit my log an getting the error, and it was only after I checked the forums and read that the logs actually get posted anyhow that I checked and saw that my log was posted. I wish they'd correct the bugs though as I really like the Wherigo concept and hate to see people not want to use it because of some website bugs.

Still not fixed:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not find stored procedure 'spaw_UPDATECartridge'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException (0x80131904): Could not find stored procedure 'spaw_UPDATECartridge'.]

AWObjectBase.Update() in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\code\classes\AWObjectBase.cs:385

controls_LogControl.UpdateDB() in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\controls\LogControl.ascx.cs:287

controls_LogControl.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\projects\TFS\Tucson\trunk\Main\Src\Web\Tucson.WebApp.Wherigo\controls\LogControl.ascx.cs:307

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Yes I get this message as well writing a log to a cartridge, it happened today; it seems to have been happening for a while as I've seen it before trying to write a log. Are they ever going to fix it?

The odd thing is, you get the message and think your log has failed but come back to Wherigo and the cartridge you were trying to make a log on and there's your log :laughing:

Edited by walk tall

And still no response on my end.

I'll be in Seattle this Friday night in preparation for Geowoodstock VIII and I know I'll be talking to Groundspeak over the course of several days during that time. If any of you will be at GW8, feel free to give a reminder as well. If you're not, you could always send a reminder to contact@Groundspeak.com and it'll get to the right people. Perhaps several people complaining all at once will help.

TODAY I had my first Wherigo game ( the free one one Garmin ) and I also have the

same problem to log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

PLEASE HELP . I noticed that someone did a log TODAY but mine had this problem. WHY ?

THANKS

M.TEX

PLEASE HELP

Just whent back to try again and I found my short logs uploaded.

Thats very strange....

But it's there any ways....

That is a Mistery and if doesn't work first time , give a few minutes and check back the logs...maybe you will find your too.

M.TEX

Oh, what the heck. I sent the following email just now:

Bryan, Nate, and Jon:

I hope you all have been doing well and have gotten back into the swing of things after the flurry of GW8 and, mostly, the very successful HQ event.

I’d like to remind everyone I have not heard of any progress towards resolving the Wherigo website logging issue. This is the problem where people see stack traces after submitting a cartridge log entry to the site. Most users seem to have this problem for any log they submit, irrespective of cartridge. However, the log is posted despite the error. I’ve been able to reproduce the problem using my player account: choose a cartridge, submit a log (played or note log), type whatever for the note, don’t rate the cartridge, submit, and see the stack trace.

This issue has been unresolved since the end of March. A forum thread has been tracking its history. Due to the severity of the issue, I don’t mind sending reminders.

I’d love some news to bring to the user community. A resolution would be optimal.

Ciao,

--\/- Ranger Fox

Please resume tapping your fingers. I'll report any news I hear, keeping everyone appraised.

This is the response I received:

I’ve entered this issue into our database (it’s possible I’ve duplicated a previous entry, but I couldn’t find it) and will follow up on getting the issue corrected as soon as we can.

That was the hard part; getting it into the defect list. From what I know of Groundspeak, I'm familiar with a two week code push and a prioritization meeting somewhere in there. If it follows normal channels, then, I'd expect a month.

I have done WheriGos in the past, and the new ones I've done this year will not let me write/add a LOG. What is going on ????

WheriGos are great and this lack of attention on website logging features is quite disappointing.

Rucache, I am sorry to hear that you can not add a log to my new WheriGos. Since their release this year; users have been complaining already about logging errors on Wherigo.com. This is quite annoying, given all the work that goes into creating these games for user enjoyment.

I've have sent an email to the contact for Wherigo.com; but have heard nothing so far. :(((

I have a new Wherigo cache that has been found a few times. Yesterday, I E-mailed all the finders to remind them to unlock the cartridge and post their logs on Wherigo.com (I figured many of them may have been fairly new to Wherigos). After exchanging E-mails with the finders I learned that they are UNABLE to log their finds because if this error.

What's the latest word on this problem?

I have a new Wherigo cache that has been found a few times. Yesterday, I E-mailed all the finders to remind them to unlock the cartridge and post their logs on Wherigo.com (I figured many of them may have been fairly new to Wherigos). After exchanging E-mails with the finders I learned that they are UNABLE to log their finds because if this error.

What's the latest word on this problem?

I am seeing a problem with logging wherigos. I have had a number of people trying to log on Wherigo, and are unable to enter a log after successfully completing the cartridge. I can not even post a note.

The last time someone successfully logged on the Wherigo page was 12/24/2010.

For example, clicking on the 'Write Log' link at the bottom of the cartridge page, is linked to URL:

http://www.Wherigo.com/logs/log.aspx?CGUID=3b279ef9-0e83-4473-8ae3-77af3ce92c94

Comes back with the generic Groundspeak error page (Geocaching, Waymarking and Wherigo icons at the top), and the URL shows:

http://www.Wherigo.com/error/err.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/logs/log.aspx