What states and provinces do not allow cemetery caches?

In Tennessee, "making any game" in a cemetery is illegal. US Federal cemeteries have rules against game playing in cemeteries.

I suspect that whoever is reviewing in South Carolina is requiring explicit and fully documented permission for any cemetery hide - as legislation was written (but not enacted) to make geocaching in cemeteries (and other historic areas) a felony. There may be other US States where reviewers are similarly cautious, and will require express and verifiable permission, but there is no written law (that I'm aware of)

In Tennessee, "making any game" in a cemetery is illegal. US Federal cemeteries have rules against game playing in cemeteries.

I suspect that whoever is reviewing in South Carolina is requiring explicit and fully documented permission for any cemetery hide - as legislation was written (but not enacted) to make geocaching in cemeteries (and other historic areas) a felony. There may be other US States where reviewers are similarly cautious, and will require express and verifiable permission, but there is no written law (that I'm aware of)

Alright so Tennessee will never be part of the spirit quest series. I wonder where else though?

There are lots of cemetary caches around me but nobody uses the moniker "sprit quest" on ANY of them. So I think it is somewhat regional.

So Nebraska is in. O.K.

If this is a "quest", pun intended, to propagate the use of the phrase "Spirit Quest", it's never gonna happen. Cemetery series names have developed on a very regional basis. Although Spirit Quest is the most used such name in North America, it's going to be pretty much impossible for it to take over in other areas where another name is in use.

A felony!!!!!! Holy Headstones Bat Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some unknowing person could trash their life with a felony for a smiley. OUUUUCH

I haven't seen a "Spirit Quest" cache in this part of Ontario. Most cemetery caches are called something like "At Rest in Place Name" or "Restin' in Place Name."

I don't like the term "Spirit Quest." I'd be quite unhappy if I encountered a "spirit" at a geocache. I like reading old gravestones, though.

Ontario seems to be quite liberal about geocaches in cemeteries.

There's at least one county in Texas that's freaked out over them, even though their operations documents suggest "scavenger hunts" and other activities as a way to use cemeteries to educate people about local history.

I find that cemeteries don't always make great hiding spots, and prefer multi or puzzle caches that use the cemetery but then have the physical container hidden elsewhere.

In Tennessee they are not only not allowed, but "to play at any game or amusement" is a Class E felony. Here is the relevant text:

Tennessee Cemetery & Burial Site Laws

Statutory Laws

(Tennessee Code Annotated)

Title 46. Cemeteries

46-2-105. Crimes and offenses

No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or-around the same, or injure any tree, plant or shrub therein, or hunt or shoot therein, play at any game or amusement therein, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes therein, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises.

(A violation of this section is a Class E felony, punishable by 1 to 6 years in jail and a fine not to exceed $3,000)

The term "Spirit Quest" and various version such as WSQ (Wisconsin Spirit Quest) is indeed a regional thing. Wisconsin has a bunch of them, Indiana has some, I believe that I've seen them in Michigan, as well. I also see one listed in Louisiana (GC1R771, Louisiana Spirit Quest, Where Granny is Resting) that states:

This cache is part of the "Spirit Quest" series, which covers over five states, and was inspired by the cacher SixDogTeam.

Our local reviewer, Surfer Joe, will request proof of explicit permission for any geocache placed inside of a cemetery in his jurisdiction.

The term "Spirit Quest" and various version such as WSQ (Wisconsin Spirit Quest) is indeed a regional thing. Wisconsin has a bunch of them, Indiana has some, I believe that I've seen them in Michigan, as well. I also see one listed in Louisiana (GC1R771, Louisiana Spirit Quest, Where Granny is Resting) that states:

This cache is part of the "Spirit Quest" series, which covers over five states, and was inspired by the cacher SixDogTeam.

Our local reviewer, Surfer Joe, will request proof of explicit permission for any geocache placed inside of a cemetery in his jurisdiction.

"Our local reviewer, Surfer Joe, will request proof of explicit permission for any geocache placed inside of a cemetery in his jurisdiction."

Do you know what specific type or types of 'proof' Joe requires?

Alright so Tennessee will never be part of the spirit quest series. I wonder where else though?

Who says you have to hide the cache INSIDE the cemetery? A simple micro outside the boundary and you've got it.

We have many here in Colorado that are just outside the fence line.

In Tennessee they are not only not allowed, but "to play at any game or amusement" is a Class E felony. Here is the relevant text:

Statutory Laws

Title 46. Cemeteries

No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or-around the same, or injure any tree, plant or shrub therein, or hunt or shoot therein, play at any game or amusement therein, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes therein, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises.

(A violation of this section is a Class E felony, punishable by 1 to 6 years in jail and a fine not to exceed $3,000)

Holy litigious society, I'm a criminal! (Pardon me, I have a bookmark list to delete...)

Statutory Laws

Title 46. Cemeteries

We were in Tennessee weekend before last. Did some caching while there. From what we saw, there are a LOT of caches in cemeteries where we were. We did a little night caching and skipped over all of the cemetery caches simply because of the implications that can be made when someone is in a cemetery at night.

Glad we skipped them!

Being from SC, I can assure you that the reviewer here will NOT allow caches anywhere near a cemetery. Even stages of a multi that are simply to gather information are not allowed. This is what I was told by the reviewer.

It all has something to do with a bit of legislation that would make it illegal to operate a GPSr on any historical grounds. These grounds included, among other things, cemeteries and, theoretically, could have been adapted by the state to include whatever they wanted.

Members of local geocaching associations sat with legislators and made an agreement to keep geocaching out of the area the lawmakers specified and the lawmakers would let the bill die. Again, this is what I understand from the SC reviewer.

Hence, there is no ACTUAL legislation, but geocaching folks in SC like to keep the status quo and stay on the state house's good side.

Once more, I am in now way an authority... this is just what I have understood from past conversations and emails.

Who says you have to hide the cache INSIDE the cemetery? A simple micro outside the boundary and you've got it.

So they're not on cemetery property, but on someone elses property instead. Adequate permission is still required.

So they're not on cemetery property, but on someone elses property instead. Adequate permission is still required.

Unless it is in the right of way.

Statutory Laws

Title 46. Cemeteries

We were in Tennessee weekend before last. Did some caching while there. From what we saw, there are a LOT of caches in cemeteries where we were. We did a little night caching and skipped over all of the cemetery caches simply because of the implications that can be made when someone is in a cemetery at night.

Glad we skipped them!

Being from SC, I can assure you that the reviewer here will NOT allow caches anywhere near a cemetery. Even stages of a multi that are simply to gather information are not allowed. This is what I was told by the reviewer.

It all has something to do with a bit of legislation that would make it illegal to operate a GPSr on any historical grounds. These grounds included, among other things, cemeteries and, theoretically, could have been adapted by the state to include whatever they wanted.

Members of local geocaching associations sat with legislators and made an agreement to keep geocaching out of the area the lawmakers specified and the lawmakers would let the bill die. Again, this is what I understand from the SC reviewer.

Hence, there is no ACTUAL legislation, but geocaching folks in SC like to keep the status quo and stay on the state house's good side.

Once more, I am in now way an authority... this is just what I have understood from past conversations and emails.

Thanks for the insite but I have to say, what a bunch of nonsense in South Carolina, they are specifically targeting Geocachers. The Tennessee law looks like it is intended to nail people particularly teenagers that go to cemeteries to cause trouble. As in they can nail them with a larger penalty for destroying property in a cemetery. Inadvertently it may be effecting geocaching

"Our local reviewer, Surfer Joe, will request proof of explicit permission for any geocache placed inside of a cemetery in his jurisdiction."

Do you know what specific type or types of 'proof' Joe requires?

I do not. The only cemetery-type cache that I personally have put out does not require you to enter the cemetery. My guess is that he wants to see an email or a letter, but that is only speculation. You could email him and ask him yourself, I suppose.

Before you start making some inane comments about the issues regarding cemetery caches in SC or any other state, perhaps you should search this forum for previous discussions? There is a lot of history there, and it is apparent that you know little of it as it all took place several years before you started caching.

Here is one thread on the SC Legislative issue.

Not everyone thinks that cemeteries are appropriate locations for anything other than their intended purposes. Some feel it is sacred or hallowed ground. Others feel that the history lessons that can be learned from visiting older cemeteries outweighs those concerns. And some just want another smiley.

Edited by wimseyguy

What is just outside?

They could still be on cemetery property and as as such be treated identically to one inside the fence.

Now somebody needs a plat map and the knowledge to read it.

Knowing Michigan law (and now Tennessee) in conjunction with the near strikeout of South Carolina, I'm swayed towards placing a cache within sight of burial grounds and marking the grounds with a child waypoint as a proper method of preventing a black eye.

I would be amazed if Wisconsin didn't ban all geocaches on or near burial grounds. They have a black eye to recover from because necrophilia wasn't illegal there till 2008 2 years after the case that brought it to the public eye.

Naughty Cheeseheads :laughing::rolleyes::D:huh:

<jack>

For those who don't know, some states have silly nick names for their people, Cheesehead is Wisconsin's.

Michigan has 3

Yuppers (did I spell that correctly? doesn't matter I'm a proud Troll so it is inconsequential ;) ) live in the upper peninsula.

Trolls live Below the Mackinac Bridge.

Everyone else who comes here is just a fudgie, only here for the fudge.

</jack>

The way I see it is that in particular some old pioneer cemetaries are all but forgotten and the people buried there are as well. Anything that would bring people to respect them and read thier stones once more is doing good.

I still feel strange when I am excavating a cemetary (I'm an archaeologist, not a crazy don't worry :laughing: ) but so long as you treat them with respect then its all good. When I am excavating a cemetary its usually because its about to be distroyed either by nature (like eroson) or it is going to be built on top of.

Just my two cents.

Before you start making some inane comments about the issues regarding cemetery caches in SC or any other state, perhaps you should search this forum for previous discussions? There is a lot of history there, and it is apparent that you know little of it as it all took place several years before you started caching.

Not everyone thinks that cemeteries are appropriate locations for anything other than their intended purposes. Some feel it is sacred or hallowed ground. Others feel that the history lessons that can be learned from visiting older cemeteries outweighs those concerns. And some just want another smiley.

Just to be clear.

Learning valuable and insteresting information regarding the history contained within a cemetery has no relationship to the game of Geocaching. We do it all of the time when visiting new areas of the country or world. We were doing that well before we could spell Geocaching.

The way I see it is that in particular some old pioneer cemetaries are all but forgotten and the people buried there are as well. Anything that would bring people to respect them and read thier stones once more is doing good.

I still feel strange when I am excavating a cemetary (I'm an archaeologist, not a crazy don't worry :laughing: ) but so long as you treat them with respect then its all good. When I am excavating a cemetary its usually because its about to be distroyed either by nature (like eroson) or it is going to be built on top of.

Just my two cents.

Respect, now there's one really interesting word.

Although I do not look for them myself, there are quite a few cemetery caches in southern New England (USA). Just remember that government regulations are not the only things to look for; many cemeteries are private property -- run by religious institutions, associations, and even corporations.

Just my two cents.

Respect, now there's one really interesting word.

How do you mean?

There are some truly wonderful cemetaries in the U.P. of Michigan, at many of the forgotten crossroads of long-ago lumber camps and mining towns. Some are extremely hard to find as they are most totally taken over by new-growth forest. Then too, there are the old WWII POW camps.

<jack>

For those who don't know, some states have silly nick names for their people, Cheesehead is Wisconsin's.

Michigan has 3

Yuppers (did I spell that correctly? doesn't matter I'm a proud Troll so it is inconsequential :laughing: ) live in the upper peninsula.

</jack>

To finish off the hijack (properly ;) )...

Michigan has four nicks--

Yoopers -- yes, somebody from da U.P.

YIT -- Yoopers In Training (transplants from the Land of the Trolls)

Trolls -- those that live under da bridge (Mackinac Bridge, that is), which includes all of the mitten.

Fudgie -- typically a tourist, recognizable by that Mackinac Island Fudge smear on their face.

Sorry Vater -- Yuppers are too much like the ancient Yuppies. <_<

There are some truly wonderful cemetaries in the U.P. of Michigan, at many of the forgotten crossroads of long-ago lumber camps and mining towns. Some are extremely hard to find as they are most totally taken over by new-growth forest. Then too, there are the old WWII POW camps.

<jack>

Michigan has 3

Yuppers (did I spell that correctly? doesn't matter I'm a proud Troll so it is inconsequential :laughing: ) live in the upper peninsula.

</jack>

To finish off the hijack (properly ;) )...

Michigan has four nicks--

Yoopers -- yes, somebody from da U.P.

YIT -- Yoopers In Training (transplants from the Land of the Trolls)

Trolls -- those that live under da bridge (Mackinac Bridge, that is), which includes all of the mitten.

Fudgie -- typically a tourist, recognizable by that Mackinac Island Fudge smear on their face.

Sorry Vater -- Yuppers are too much like the ancient Yuppies. <_<

Ah, yes... the old Irish cemetery near Ontonagon, and the old Cliff Mine cemeteries near Eagle Harbor are two that I am aware of. Late springtime is best for both, because they are luciously overgrown with periwinkle that will be in bloom.

I can tell you that they are a ok in PA.

That is very interesting. Could you explain what "a ok" means?

Troll!!! :laughing:<_<;)

I spend hours each week reviewing cemetery cache submissions and engaging in a dialogue with their owners. Making sure that geocaching doesn't get a bad name or any formal restrictions is quite important to me. Seeing that work summed up as "a ok" was a bit surprising.

What do YOU do to promote geocaching, besides skipping from one forum thread to the next?

Troll!!! <_<;):D

I spend hours each week reviewing cemetery cache submissions and engaging in a dialogue with their owners. Making sure that geocaching doesn't get a bad name or any formal restrictions is quite important to me. Seeing that work summed up as "a ok" was a bit surprising.

What do YOU do to promote geocaching, besides skipping from one forum thread to the next?

:laughing:

Is there some additional requirement to posting on these boards that I'm unaware of or some sort of criteria for post count and number of threads you can reply to? I mean sheesh, threads about hot, divisive topics spill on for days and days but goodness, make a non-serious comment- replete with smileys and wha-bam! If only hiding and finding caches makes us non-reviewers some sort of second-class member of the community, I'd like to know up front.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Before who starts making inane comments?

There are lots of cemetary caches around me but nobody uses the moniker "sprit quest" on ANY of them. So I think it is somewhat regional.

Definitely regional. I see SQ all the time when perusing Ohio caches, but I've been to quite a few here in PA and the WV panhandle and never saw that term.

Side note -- In Michigan, it is against the law to be in a cemetery during hours of darkness. Caches are typically allowed, with permission from the authority/owner.

Not a new law, so am guessing it was enacted to combat malicious mischief/defacing, etc.

Usually around Halloween.

I lived in Bay City, Michigan for two years and it seemed that segment of the local population who experience insufficient Fun levels, unless they are tipping gravestones, had some influence upon such statutes being enacted.

Troll!!! :anicute::laughing::laughing:

I was KIDDING!!!

My post was directed at the OP who had posted two above mine.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My post was directed at the OP who had posted two above mine.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I wasn't and now it is. Thanks for the response. Love the first line of your sig.

Just my opinion. I never cache in a cemetary if there is ANYONE around. Not concerned about muggles - I just think it is disrespectful to be playing a game when someone is there visiting a loved one's burial site. Also, I haul a vanload of kids with me caching and we are more obtrusive than most. :rolleyes:

This brings GCQBNG to mind. A log entry links to a news story that said:

"The two mysterious visitors huddled around the sign to Dunedin Cemetery, poking and snooping around. Someone at former Dunedin Mayor John Doglione's funeral saw the couple and called authorities. Enter the bomb squad."

Other cemetery caches that ran into problems are:

GCKRGW

GCPE53

It's incredible how much impact forbidding the use of GPSr at historic locations can be for games, tourism wanting to use GPS devices, and local governments forming GIS programs. By this legislation, all Waymarking of historical places would be prohibited in South Carolina. This would be the quintessential cutting of one's nose to spite one's face.

Edited by Redneck Parrotheads

Caches in cemeteries in California are quite common.

I personally own caches in three different cemeteries. Two have explicit permission, and the 3rd has "adequate" permission as it's an Indian burial ground from several hundred years ago that few even know about these days.

Anyone knw are there caches in Florida that are in cemeteries? If so how common are they?

I have a history of four, two still active. Permission was received for three. One from the church that cared for the place, the two others were managed by the county, the fourth is owned by me. I've waymarked the heck out of those four places as well. Everyone compliments the area and the history. These are important places. None of the caches are located by resting places, except for the one that I owned... but that's now archived.

More history nerds in my area have hid them in other cemeteries, also important places that I assume are also receiving compliments from the cachers who seek out the caches there.

FL is a cemetery caching friendly state barring you get permission from the caretakers of the property and obey all local laws and property rules. Generally speaking, no night caching or dogs.

Edit to Add: But none of them are referred to by that goofy name you referred to above. It sounds like a really bad paranormal show.

Edited by Redneck Parrotheads