money

cammengaman

if a geocacher found a hundred dollar bill or something comparible would fair trade rule apply here obviosly were not going to be carrying something comparible is this just the generosity of geocacher who put it there i know this would be very rare but if i came across this i would be very tempted to take it im interested in your views

Edited by cammengaman

I would say that if you found a bill that large, it was probably intended as a gift by whoever left it. I's expect that you might find a way to pay forward at least part of it though.

yes that sounds good drop a fifty or so back in keep it going

I got a $50 for a FTF one time took the whole thing, it was a long hike at 2 AM in the morning.

Scubasonic

I've long carried 1 or 2 $20+ trade items in my bag for the very rare occasion I find something that nice. 1 Is a digital watch with electronic compass ($28 on sale once) - the other varies. While it may not exactly be equal in value, I agree with others that such things are not usually intended to be exact trades. So I leave the best I have.

money.....

I was hoping you were offering some :laughing:

I was leaving unactivated geocoins in caches for a while. I labeled them "unactivated coin swag". These were not FTF premiums in my own caches. *

100% of them were taken, not traded for. Apparently when the perceived value of an item exceeds $8-10, the expectation is that it was left as a gift with no need to trade, which is pretty much what's been expressed in this thread.

If someone leaves "too nice" a swag item, it's fair game to take, apparently because you couldn't possibly be serious in expecting it to be traded for?

*In one cache that I found the next cachers behind me took the coin, noted in their log, "took FTF premium"! mmm, cache out weeks, logbook signed multiple times, the coin labeled "swag" oh, they weren't FTF either. I assume that this is a handy rationalization.

I had someone leave a very gently used GPS in a cache of mine. It was a current model. Nobody would take it. It sat there for months. I know the guy who left it there and no way did he expect someone to leave something of equal value. I finally posted a note on the page asking for someone to please take the GPS or I would.