¸¸.• Announcing "The Original Can of Beans" Geocoin •.¸

GeocoinGuy

The Original Can of Beans, the most cherished and last remaining relic of Dave Ulmer's 'Original Stash' has been re-created and brought to life in this amazing geocoin.

Dave, Jeff and Don went back to the Original Stash location in May 2003, to lay the foundation to the 'Mecca of Geocaching' ~ The Original Stash Plaque. It was there that Jeff struck Geocaching Gold - The Original Can of Beans.

After rigorous restoration procedures were performed, the can now resides in its custom made case. Now you can own a piece of Geocaching history preserved in all its glory - The Original Can of Beans Geocoin. Designed, manufactured and sold exclusively by Geocoin Design!

Coin Specifics: 2.25"

Icon: Yes

Trackable on Geocaching.com: Yes

Available in four flavors:

Antique Nickel w/Black Nickel

Antique Gold w/Black Nickel

Antique Copper w/Copper

Antique Copper

OCB550.jpg

This coin is in pre-production, but I opened it for preorders AND reservations to my webstore newsletter subscribers at 1am and you can get yours here. Instructions for making reservations are on the front page of the store.

Photos will be updated to this thread accordingly.

Enjoy!

~J

Beautiful!!! :blink:

So the can of beans was not in good condition when it was found!

sorry for posting here but I was wondering something....

the other things the first cache had were gone... ok!

I read that inside the cache, there were 5 USa dollar bills! Correct?

If there is somewhere a photo of the first cache with the things it had inside... and the dollars.... (maybe Dave has one?) there is a possibility (a small one) to find these banknotes, from the serial number! If you can see it in the photo, or if computers can do that...(identify the serial number)....

Maybe we can find something else from the cache! Now.. the ones who found it... did they take something from it? If yes... maybe they still have it!!! I hope Groundspeak searched about this! :P

Beautiful!!! :blink:

If there is somewhere a photo of the first cache with the things it had inside... and the dollars.... (maybe Dave has one?) there is a possibility (a small one) to find these banknotes, from the serial number! If you can see it in the photo, or if computers can do that...(identify the serial number)....

Maybe we can find something else from the cache! Now.. the ones who found it... did they take something from it? If yes... maybe they still have it!!! I hope Groundspeak searched about this! :P

Here is a video that Dave Ulmer took when he was placing the first cache.

There is also the video of placing the plaque and finding the OCB. Unfortunately I don't think you can see the serial numbers of the bills....

Beautiful!!! :huh:

Maybe we can find something else from the cache! Now.. the ones who found it... did they take something from it? If yes... maybe they still have it!!! I hope Groundspeak searched about this! ;)

Here is a video that Dave Ulmer took when he was placing the first cache.

There is also the video of placing the plaque and finding the OCB. Unfortunately I don't think you can see the serial numbers of the bills....

Huh!!!! I can only see the back side of the notes! :laughing: Too bad! There are sites that people are tracking banknotes! :rolleyes: We could give a try... if we were lucky enough to see the serial numbers! :D

Neat-o! This post gave me a little piece of geocaching history that I didn't know before, and the link was helpful as well. And this is definitely a good-sized coin at 2.25. I am interested to see the metal combinations. Great job!

You just might see one up close and personal :laughing:

~J

The question has been raised to me about reselling these coins and the possible repercussions due to the nature of the copyright.

I have discussed this with Team360 and he agreed with me that the holding of the copyright will NOT have any impact in regards to listing these coins on eBay after the fact.

The copyright is merely protection against producing items with the copyrighted image/likeness of the O.C.B.

The artwork and resulting product (The OCB Geocoin) is the intellectual property of GeocoinDesign protected by the same copyright law (USC Title 17).

A good analogy would be: Can I resell my Cadillac even though GM holds the copyright. Yes, after the item is sold to the public at large (Fair use act) by the copyright holder.

So, if you are purchasing the coin for the purpose of reselling on eBay or any other site after they are purchased from GeocoinDesign, it's perfectly okay.

I hope that cleared it up for you, and I have posted it here so everyone who may have been wondering the same thing is informed.

~J

Will you have these at 2010 GeoWoodstock in Seattle July 3?

Short answer: No :anicute:

The OCB Geocoin went to production last evening - - wanted to post the final blueprint. Keep in mind that the 3D Can looks pretty flat on the BP, but trust me... it will look like the can in the original art. :laughing:

ocbbp750.jpg

Enjoy!

~J

The OCB coins are available for purchase or reservation at the link in post #1.

I will have production photos on Monday, April 19th (according to the production facility).

The first 300 have been either sold or reserved, 200 more have been authorized for production.

~J

Went to check the status of the package and apparently the coins were not picked up on Friday, but today - the delivery date stated on the shippers website says "ON TIME - 05/05/2010"

Sorry about that folks.... I'm a tad bit irritated, but not really much I can do about it.

~J

I find it ironic that the Original Can of Beans coins have just made the trek through Beaver Creek, Oregon (home of the Original Stash) and are enroute to me at this hour.

I expect to have them in hand in a few hours, at which time they will be packaged in the order of precedence received. I expect to have a straggler order placed this week as well.

I will post some very good pictures of them after I inspect each one.

~J

Good news and Bad news....

The Original Can of Beans geocoin are in hand. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the quality control from the mint is inadequate.

As soon as I sort out all of the coins.. I will provide an update... in the meantime, I am going to take some good quality photos in a few minutes...

~J

(Okay... so my standards are high)

and.....

Here are some photos of the errors that I am having remade:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

In all... as my newsletter stated (in summation), I am having the following coins replaced:

44 Antique Copper + Copper

3 Antique Nickel + Black Nickel

25 Antique Gold + Black Nickel

1 Antique Copper

Total: 73 coins....... Bummer!

~J